Opinion of the phrase "States Rights" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:57:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the phrase "States Rights" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of the phrase "States Rights"
Freedom Phrase

Horrible Phrase

Neutral

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Opinion of the phrase "States Rights"  (Read 4779 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: June 22, 2012, 04:25:57 PM »
« edited: June 22, 2012, 04:38:56 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

The people who used "states' rights" as an argument against civil rights legislation were abusing the phrase.  It was never relevant to desegregation because the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment (passed shortly after the Civil War) stated that Congress could pass any legislation to ensure equal protection under the law.  I asked one of my PoliSci instructors this question and he said that by making these arguments, the Southern states were essentially calling for a return to the Articles of Confederation (the federal government before the Constitution), which was too weak and limited federal powers too much to be effective.  And for that matter, states' rights were originally created for a purpose much the opposite: it was intended to keep slavery confined to the South and prevent it from expanding onto a national scale.  Even today, you could give states all the rights you (or they) wanted and racial segregation is still NEVER coming back.  (Good riddance!)  I would agree with the opinion posted earlier that it was a good idea distorted and abused by some very bad (as well as a few well-intentioned, but misguided) people.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 01:03:20 PM »

Normally it would be good, but I said horrible phrase because it's a modern-day code for racism.
It may have ben used as a racist term 50 or 60 years ago, but it isn't now.  Slavery and racial segregation are never coming back, regardless of how many rights you give states.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies