Mississippi lawmaker cites Bible passage that calls for gays to be put to death
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:54:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mississippi lawmaker cites Bible passage that calls for gays to be put to death
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Mississippi lawmaker cites Bible passage that calls for gays to be put to death  (Read 7863 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2012, 02:35:21 PM »

JACKSON, Miss. — A Mississippi state lawmaker, commenting on the announcement by President Barack Obama affirming support for same-sex marriage, invoked an Old Testament Bible passage on his Facebook page, calling for gay men to be “put to death.”

GOP State Rep. Andy Gipson, a Southern Baptist Minister and business attorney, is Republican state Representative from Braxton, Miss.

On May 10, writing on his Facebook page, Gibson said that homosexuality is a “sin,” citing Leviticus 20:13:

“Been a lot of press on Obama’s opinion on ‘homosexual marriage.’

“The only opinion that counts is God’s: see Romans 1:26-28 and Leviticus 20:13. Anyway you slice it, it is sin. Not to mention horrific social policy.

Leviticus 20:13 reads, “If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.”

In response to a follower, Gipson later wrote that same-sex relationships are “unnatural” and suggested they will inherently “result in disease”:

Sorry I’ve been busy and not had a chance to reply. David, in addition to the basic principal that it is morally wrong, here are three social reasons it’s horrific social policy:

1) Unnatural behavior which results in disease, not the least of which is its high association with the development and spread of HIV/AIDS;

2) Confusing behavior which is harmful to children who have a deep need to understand the proper role of men and women in society and the important differences between men and women, and fathers and mothers; and

3) Undermines the longstanding definition of marriage as between one man and one woman, a definition which has been key to all aspects of social order and prosperity. Anytime that definition is weakened our culture is also weakened. And yes, that is also true for other conduct which weakens marriage’s importance in society.

A screen capture of the original posts:

Gipson is not backing down on his comments, and said, “To be clear, I want the world to know that I do not, cannot, and will not apologize for the inspired truth of God’s Word. It is one thing that will never ‘change’.”

Gibson’s comments (screenshot above) however, have been since been removed from his Facebook profile.

Knol Aust, Chairman of Unity Mississippi, criticized Gipson, writing on his organization’s website that it was not Gipson’s place to impose his religious beliefs on his constituents.

“Mr. Gipson is wrong when he states the only opinion that counts is his god’s. As a representative of Mississippi, the only opinions he should be concerned with are those of his constituents. While his particular god may play an important role in his life, it is not his job to impose his beliefs and faith upon the people he represents,” Aust said.

Aust then countered Gipson’s arguments, writing:

Being gay does not equal disease just like being straight does not equal disease-free. A heterosexual person with HIV or terminal cancer can still get a marriage license, but a loving gay couple of 20+ years cannot.

To argue that disease is a legitimate reason to deny marriage to loving same-sex couples is absurd. Humans spread disease not sexual orientation.

[...]

Research shows children who grow up in households with gay parents have normal self-esteem. Also, churches, governments, and individuals telling children and adults they are unnatural is what’s harmful to children. Love is a simple concept for children to grasp; bigotry and hate are what confuse and harm children (and adults).

[...]

Mr. Gipson needs to realize he represents all of his constituents. He should not cherry-pick which constituents he wants to work for. He should also realize his positions are neither popular nor Republican. LGBT individuals, couples, and families help pay Gipson’s salary. It’s important that he remember that.

While polling shows that nation’s approval of same-sex marriage has trended slightly above 50 percent in a recent poll, a November 2011 poll found that only 13 percent of Mississippi voters thought it should be legal, while 78 percent said it should remain illegal.

Even among Democrats, only 19 percent expressed support.

http://sdgln.com/news/2012/05/21/mississippi-lawmaker-cites-bible-calling-gays-be-put-death

Roll Eyes
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 02:40:30 PM »

God bless America!
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 02:59:05 PM »

This is what a 69% McCain district produces.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 03:05:15 PM »

He is angling to be Romney's VP.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 03:37:39 PM »

We've found the 2016 Constitution Party nominee.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 03:40:36 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2012, 03:43:04 PM by Progressive Realist »

Does Mississippi exist solely for the purpose of making the rest of the deep South look good?

Oh, and: Clearly, the Democrats could make some serious inroads into the Mississippi white electorate today. Kinda like the West Virginia Democrats. WHY DOESN'T OBAMA COURT THEM?!
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 03:47:51 PM »

I just knew that a thread in US General Discussion whose title begins with the words "Mississippi lawmaker" was destined to be a fount of reason and justice. Call it instinct.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 05:57:36 PM »

I don't see jmfcst in this thread.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 06:06:58 PM »

I don't even know how to respond. Come at me?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 06:09:34 PM »

Yes, the doctrine of Biblical inerrancy has these little bumps in the road. It also seems quite comfortable with slavery, but I digress.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 07:01:39 PM »

Kudos for consistency in theocratic ambitions. I look forward to his further statements condemning cotton-poly blends, the consumption of shellfish, and the uncleanliness of menstration and masturbation.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 07:10:33 PM »

Let's not forget to put people to death for breaking the Sabbath  (once we figure out if it Saturday or Sunday that is).
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 07:14:08 PM »

Oh, and: Clearly, the Democrats could make some serious inroads into the Mississippi white electorate today. Kinda like the West Virginia Democrats. WHY DOESN'T OBAMA COURT THEM?!

Seriously?  Why would you believe Democrats could make inroads with this sort of white?  Personally I doubt it.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 07:15:14 PM »

Seriously?  Why would you believe Democrats could make inroads with this sort of white?  Personally I doubt it.

I guess my sarcasm wasn't obvious enough. Tongue
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 08:43:11 PM »

Mississippi - Where morbid obesity is genetic, but homosexuality is a lifestyle choice.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 08:48:43 PM »

I didn't know jmfcst was a state lawmaker.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 08:55:35 PM »

No, jmfcst isn't into executing whole classes of folks whom he finds execrable  so far as I know. You perhaps are mixing him up with a certain other poster. Tongue
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »

No, jmfcst isn't into executing whole classes of folks whom he finds execrable  so far as I know. You perhaps are mixing him up with a certain other poster. Tongue

There are so many homophobic comments made on this board every week, it could be one of many people.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 09:03:45 PM »

The punishments mentioned in the Bible no longer apply.
EmersonAdams
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -4.52

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 09:20:14 PM »

It looks like Mississippi is trying to edge out Arizona and Tennessee for Craziest State of the Union 2012. Looks like it's going to be a competitive year.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 12:00:00 AM »

Does Mississippi exist solely for the purpose of making the rest of the deep South look good?

Mississippi makes conservative Utah look good. As far as I know, no modern Utah GOPer has said something like this.

Anyway, insert generic joke about shellfish and polyester here.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 12:43:47 AM »

I'd go further and say: The Bible does no longer apply.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 12:51:27 AM »

So I take that you are in silent agreement jmfcst?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 02:21:20 AM »

I'd go further and say: The Bible does no longer apply.
So we shouldn't love each other anymore?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies