Mississippi lawmaker cites Bible passage that calls for gays to be put to death
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:24:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mississippi lawmaker cites Bible passage that calls for gays to be put to death
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Mississippi lawmaker cites Bible passage that calls for gays to be put to death  (Read 7866 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2012, 01:34:06 PM »

Not entirely irrelevant, but not God's command to the entire world according to the terms of the New Testament/Covenant/whatever translation you like as interpreted by the entirety of Christianity since... well.. since it has been reasonably describable as Christianity. That's only God's literal command to the Jews before the whole Jesus business.
I mean, if you don't know that what are you even doing in this thread? Might as well discuss Islam with a Westerner. Tongue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2012, 01:52:01 PM »

5)   The regulation against weaving two different kinds of material in the same clothe was simply to serve as a lesson for the righteous not to intertwine themselves with non-believers (e.g. do not be unequally yoked…do not plant to different kinds of seeds in the same field…you must differentiate the clean from the unclean, etc, etc, etc…)

So some passages of the Bible - which look a hell of a lot like strict orders - are simply metaphors
That is Christian theology. That always has been Christian theology. That (and the reasoning behind it) has been Christian theology for 1800 years. Get over it.

Ah yes, in my Bible as literature book that I am reading, allegory and metaphors were Greek concepts, and when the Hebrew Bible was translated from Hebrew into Greek in Alexandria by the Hellenized Jews there, they took the opportunity to edit the Old Testament yet again, dumping a bunch of that stuff into it, I guess because taking it all literally as actually having literally happened, was just too way out there. I have not got that far yet, but I assume when the assorted and sundry Christians wrote what made the cut into the New Testament, they did the same thing - they were Hellenized too.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2012, 02:02:41 PM »

So I take that you are in silent agreement jmfcst?

the sounds of silence which have emanated from the jmfcst are the result of his failure to feel the need to respond to every fool.  But, in your case…he’ll make an exception.

1)   the jmfcst has NOT been silent on this issue, rather he has expounded upon it 1000 times.  The very fact you’re asking him to spell it out again is a sign that you just haven’t been paying attention.

2)   the new covenant superseded the old (Law of Moses), as the Law of Moses and the rest of the OT prophesied, thus the NT church is not governed by the Law of Moses

3)   the requirement for stoning in the Law of Moses was a foreshadowing of the coming Judgment, when God will destroy the unrighteous.

4)   Although the OT contained foreshadowing, the new covenant does not contain foreshadowing regulations, rather the new covenant is about the reality of the present age of grace.

5)   The regulation against weaving two different kinds of material in the same clothe was simply to serve as a lesson for the righteous not to intertwine themselves with non-believers (e.g. do not be unequally yoked…do not plant to different kinds of seeds in the same field…you must differentiate the clean from the unclean, etc, etc, etc…)

But, since you habitually and purposely forget the above and jump on ignorant statements from ignorant pastors in order to comfort your own self-deception, at least remember this lesson: never invite the jmfcst into a thread when you’re not playing with a full deck, for he will expose all your foolishness and correctly divide the word of truth.
Off-side ~~ use of jargon to dodge the question..
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2012, 02:21:18 PM »

Not entirely irrelevant, but not God's command to the entire world according to the terms of the New Testament/Covenant/whatever translation you like as interpreted by the entirety of Christianity since... well.. since it has been reasonably describable as Christianity. That's only God's literal command to the Jews before the whole Jesus business.
I mean, if you don't know that what are you even doing in this thread? Might as well discuss Islam with a Westerner. Tongue

Again, I make no great claim as to expertise when it comes to scripture, but my comment to Joe was meant to be sarcastic.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2012, 02:38:10 PM »

So some passages of the Bible - which look a hell of a lot like strict orders - are simply metaphors, but the stuff about humankind descending from two people who let a talking snake fool them, and the creation of races and languages following the Tower of Babel, and the story of Noah's Ark are literally all true and happened exactly as described.  Got it.

learn to read.  I never said those commands were simply metaphors.  They were commands to be strictly followed by those who lived under that covenant, but they also serve as foreshadowings....they are BOTH literal and figurative.

Just as Adam-Eve, Noah's Ark, Tower of Babel...are BOTH literal and figurative.
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2012, 02:42:52 PM »

Is it really any surprise that this the same state Fred Phelps hails as his birthplace?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2012, 04:00:44 PM »

Ah yes, in my Bible as literature book that I am reading, allegory and metaphors were Greek concepts, and when the Hebrew Bible was translated from Hebrew into Greek in Alexandria by the Hellenized Jews there, they took the opportunity to edit the Old Testament yet again, dumping a bunch of that stuff into it…

So, you’re saying the Septuagint (LXX) didn’t represent its Hebrew source?!   Then I have some points for you to chew on:

1)   That’s pure conjecture, without any supporting evidence.

2)   To claim that the Jews would accept a new Greek translation which varied markedly from known Hebrew sources is preposterous.

3)   Jewish historical sources (e.g. Josephus) say the LXX was viewed by Jews as having been translated accurately.

4)   The Deal Sea Scrolls, much of which is in Hebrew, including palaeo-Hebrew script (which is FAR older than the timeframe of the start of Greek rule over the Jews), is in close alignment with the LXX…showing that the Dead Sea Scrolls and the LXX have a common Hebrew source.  Which means the physical evidence contradicts the theory of the book you’re reading, which I am sure was written by acclaimed “scholars”.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2012, 02:14:03 AM »

too extreme. There are far more effective ways to deal with the gay problem.

Out of curiosity, what would those be?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2012, 02:27:43 AM »

the government need to stop favoring gay people over normal people.

How does the government currently do this?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2012, 02:53:44 AM »

So some passages of the Bible - which look a hell of a lot like strict orders - are simply metaphors
That is Christian theology. That always has been Christian theology. That (and the reasoning behind it) has been Christian theology for 1800 years. Get over it.

Ah yes, in my Bible as literature book that I am reading, allegory and metaphors were Greek concepts, and when the Hebrew Bible was translated from Hebrew into Greek in Alexandria by the Hellenized Jews there, they took the opportunity to edit the Old Testament yet again, dumping a bunch of that stuff into it, I guess because taking it all literally as actually having literally happened, was just too way out there. I have not got that far yet, but I assume when the assorted and sundry Christians wrote what made the cut into the New Testament, they did the same thing - they were Hellenized too.
Allegory and metaphors existed in Hebrew literature, and were understood as such. The Greeks just introduced the literary theory behind them and took the interpretation to a whole new level.  I don't know of the OT being edited to include allegory and metaphor - the only Hellenized portions of the OT were some of the wisdom books of the Apocrypha that were influenced by Stoicism. They use a lot of metaphor but no more than the Hebrew wisdom literature did.  Philo of Alexandria more than anyone was responsible for a highly allegorical method of interpretation in his commentaries.  Paul seems to have used it a little, and the early church fathers such as Origen used it a lot.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2012, 03:14:40 AM »

Atheist?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2012, 06:09:49 AM »

Congratulations, you've just won my personal award for Fastest on Ignore! Your prize is me not reading any of your posts ever again.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2012, 08:02:15 AM »

Atheist?

Indeed, it's our good friend Athiest2006; he'll be banned yet again as soon as Nym is online.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2012, 03:13:34 PM »

Atheist?

Indeed, it's our good friend Athiest2006; he'll be banned yet again as soon as Nym is online.

Man, he's so predictable. Painfully predictable.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies