Mississippi lawmaker cites Bible passage that calls for gays to be put to death (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:04:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mississippi lawmaker cites Bible passage that calls for gays to be put to death (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mississippi lawmaker cites Bible passage that calls for gays to be put to death  (Read 7962 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: May 21, 2012, 06:09:34 PM »

Yes, the doctrine of Biblical inerrancy has these little bumps in the road. It also seems quite comfortable with slavery, but I digress.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 08:55:35 PM »

I didn't know jmfcst was a state lawmaker.

No, jmfcst isn't into executing whole classes of folks whom he finds execrable  so far as I know. You perhaps are mixing him up with a certain other poster. Tongue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 01:52:01 PM »

5)   The regulation against weaving two different kinds of material in the same clothe was simply to serve as a lesson for the righteous not to intertwine themselves with non-believers (e.g. do not be unequally yoked…do not plant to different kinds of seeds in the same field…you must differentiate the clean from the unclean, etc, etc, etc…)

So some passages of the Bible - which look a hell of a lot like strict orders - are simply metaphors
That is Christian theology. That always has been Christian theology. That (and the reasoning behind it) has been Christian theology for 1800 years. Get over it.

Ah yes, in my Bible as literature book that I am reading, allegory and metaphors were Greek concepts, and when the Hebrew Bible was translated from Hebrew into Greek in Alexandria by the Hellenized Jews there, they took the opportunity to edit the Old Testament yet again, dumping a bunch of that stuff into it, I guess because taking it all literally as actually having literally happened, was just too way out there. I have not got that far yet, but I assume when the assorted and sundry Christians wrote what made the cut into the New Testament, they did the same thing - they were Hellenized too.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies