Mississippi lawmaker cites Bible passage that calls for gays to be put to death (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:43:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mississippi lawmaker cites Bible passage that calls for gays to be put to death (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mississippi lawmaker cites Bible passage that calls for gays to be put to death  (Read 8007 times)
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« on: May 23, 2012, 11:37:19 AM »

2)   the new covenant superseded the old (Law of Moses), as the Law of Moses and the rest of the OT prophesied, thus the NT church is not governed by the Law of Moses

"It is easier for heaven and earth to disappear than for the least stroke of a pen to drop out of the Law."  -Luke 16:17

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments  and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:17-19

"For the law was given through Moses;  grace and truth came through Jesus Christ." John 1:17

"Has not Moses given you the law?  Yet not one of you keeps the law. Why are you trying to kill me?” John 7:19

" All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness" 2 Timothy 3:16
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 12:53:28 PM »

2)   the new covenant superseded the old (Law of Moses), as the Law of Moses and the rest of the OT prophesied, thus the NT church is not governed by the Law of Moses

"It is easier for heaven and earth to disappear than for the least stroke of a pen to drop out of the Law."  -Luke 16:17

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments  and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:17-19

"For the law was given through Moses;  grace and truth came through Jesus Christ." John 1:17

"Has not Moses given you the law?  Yet not one of you keeps the law. Why are you trying to kill me?” John 7:19

" All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness" 2 Timothy 3:16

I never stated the Law of Moses wasn't going to be fulfilled simply because it has been superseded, for the Law of Moses is a shadow of things there were (and are) to come.

And, if you would just take a moment to continue reading the verses that immediately follow Mat 5:17-19, you find “these commandments” to be a reference to the commands Jesus goes on to give, which he gave IN CONTRAST to the Law of Moses.

Mat 5:21 “You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ 22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment…27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Do not commit adultery.’ 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart…31 “It has been said, ‘Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.’ 32 But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery…38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person.

Hopefully, you:
1) recognize all those were quotes from the Law of Moses, and
2) understand the conjunction “but” is a CONTRASTING conjunction.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If you need any more help with scripture, or the English language for that matter, just let me know.  After all, I am a born again Christian from Texas.

I make no claim to be a expert in scripture, but this seems quite obvious. In Matthew 5, Jesus says that the Law cannot be abolished, and then goes on to give specific examples where changes (NOT abolitions) have been made. He gave no such clarification for the Law stated in Leviticus 20:13. So, unless there is a specific NT passage amending it, Leviticus 20:13 stands as the Law of God.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 01:22:11 PM »

5)   The regulation against weaving two different kinds of material in the same clothe was simply to serve as a lesson for the righteous not to intertwine themselves with non-believers (e.g. do not be unequally yoked…do not plant to different kinds of seeds in the same field…you must differentiate the clean from the unclean, etc, etc, etc…)

So some passages of the Bible - which look a hell of a lot like strict orders - are simply metaphors, but the stuff about humankind descending from two people who let a talking snake fool them, and the creation of races and languages following the Tower of Babel, and the story of Noah's Ark are literally all true and happened exactly as described.  Got it.

Psst... that stuff happened in the Old Testament, so apparently it isn't relevant anymore.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 02:21:18 PM »

Not entirely irrelevant, but not God's command to the entire world according to the terms of the New Testament/Covenant/whatever translation you like as interpreted by the entirety of Christianity since... well.. since it has been reasonably describable as Christianity. That's only God's literal command to the Jews before the whole Jesus business.
I mean, if you don't know that what are you even doing in this thread? Might as well discuss Islam with a Westerner. Tongue

Again, I make no great claim as to expertise when it comes to scripture, but my comment to Joe was meant to be sarcastic.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies