Mississippi lawmaker cites Bible passage that calls for gays to be put to death (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:08:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mississippi lawmaker cites Bible passage that calls for gays to be put to death (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mississippi lawmaker cites Bible passage that calls for gays to be put to death  (Read 7961 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 21, 2012, 07:10:33 PM »

Let's not forget to put people to death for breaking the Sabbath  (once we figure out if it Saturday or Sunday that is).
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 11:36:16 PM »

Kudos for consistency in theocratic ambitions. I look forward to his further statements condemning cotton-poly blends, the consumption of shellfish, and the uncleanliness of menstration and masturbation.
cotton-poly blends?  if your going to quote the bible get it right there is nothing wrong with this and the bible never mentions this.

(just for the record I know what your trying to say and are to ignorant to say)
Leviticus 19:19
Keep my decrees. Do not mate different kinds of animals. Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed. Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.

The Talmud makes it pretty clear that the verse only means wool-linen blends, which is, again, one of the reasons why it's so silly when people take random passages out of the Law of Moses and quote them directly as meaning something.  (That includes this guy in the OP, of course). 

Thing is, at the time Leviticus was written, those were apparently the only two types of fiber known to Israel, so appealing to the Talmud in contravention of the plain meaning of the words isn't particularly convincing one way or the other, since you can come up with logical arguments in support of either position.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 11:39:36 AM »

Kudos for consistency in theocratic ambitions. I look forward to his further statements condemning cotton-poly blends, the consumption of shellfish, and the uncleanliness of menstration and masturbation.
cotton-poly blends?  if your going to quote the bible get it right there is nothing wrong with this and the bible never mentions this.

(just for the record I know what your trying to say and are to ignorant to say)
Leviticus 19:19
Keep my decrees. Do not mate different kinds of animals. Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed. Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.

The Talmud makes it pretty clear that the verse only means wool-linen blends, which is, again, one of the reasons why it's so silly when people take random passages out of the Law of Moses and quote them directly as meaning something.  (That includes this guy in the OP, of course). 

Thing is, at the time Leviticus was written, those were apparently the only two types of fiber known to Israel, so appealing to the Talmud in contravention of the plain meaning of the words isn't particularly convincing one way or the other, since you can come up with logical arguments in support of either position.
it's clearly based on the verse which is in Deuteronomy 22-11

To claim that Leviticus 19:19 is based on Deuteronomy 22:11 is ludicrous.  The structure of Deuteronomy is that of a recapitulation of the law by Moses before Israel goes into the promised land.  As I pointed out, wool and linen were likely the only two types of fiber known to Moses, so his choosing to recapitulate the command of Leviticus 19:19 in terms of those two doesn't prove anything.  The root command is to not mix two kinds of fibers.  One can speculate how narrowly kind is to be defined. For example, are cotton and linen two separate kinds or part of the common kind of plant fiber?  If cotton and linen are different kinds is because they come from different plants or because one is a seed fiber and the other is a bast fiber, so that for example linen and hemp should be considered the same kind as they are both bast fibers?

That said, no matter what the exact scope of division into kinds was intended to be, the primary purpose of the rule appears to be much as the jmfcst just stated, an object lesson in the desirability of maintaining purity.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies