When did Hollywood become really liberal? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:29:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  When did Hollywood become really liberal? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When did Hollywood become really liberal?  (Read 7105 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« on: May 29, 2012, 10:18:48 AM »

It isn't.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 10:46:01 AM »

Explain.

As far as I can see Hollywood (talking in general, individual directors may be different) has any political lean, it is a fuzzy "we-are-the-world-let's-all-be-nice-to-each-other" which admittely may not appeal to those American conservatives who do not seem to be fond of niceness and prefer coarse shouting and overt nastiness (this is apparently a large element of the conservative demographic) but I don't think that would classify it is a liberal.

After all, this philosophy does not prevent Michael Bay making movies about heroic American soldiers saving the day from evil foreigners. 
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 11:00:52 AM »
« Edited: May 29, 2012, 11:31:30 AM by Iatrogenesis »

Look at the villains in movies.  Without fail they are either "evil businessmen" or "evil corporations."

Not always. Aliens? Foreign Terrorists? Team America: World Police, while imo a failure as a film, did try to satirize something very real.

And besides, big faceless things make excellent villians. You might as well say the all distopic novels are against free buspasses for senior citizens.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Petty corruption is rarely a source of hackeneyed drama á la hollywood. Bureaucrats may be stupid and incompetent and occasionally evil, but never are they interesting.  

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I can't think of the example of the last one, but then again I hardly watch big hollywood movies any more (but I certainly did in the past). Otherwise, I don't see how your comment is relevant to my argument. Many people work at big corporations (obviously), most people dislike their boss.. they are perfect villians. Politics never enters into it (if it did, than America must be much, much more left-wing than most people think).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies