SENATE BILL: WHITE HOUSE BUDGET PROPOSAL (On the President's Desk)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:46:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: WHITE HOUSE BUDGET PROPOSAL (On the President's Desk)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: WHITE HOUSE BUDGET PROPOSAL (On the President's Desk)  (Read 28399 times)
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: July 25, 2012, 09:56:57 AM »

Aye
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #326 on: July 25, 2012, 10:00:11 AM »

It's worth noting that this budget includes the taxes created to fund most of the programs enacted in the past few months, but not the spending for those programs.  I assume they are being delayed until some future date?

If you are going to cut the military budget, why not take it from the Afghanistan operations, since we only have a training force there now that will be gone in two months?

*sigh* why do i even bother?

In a large bill like this, you got to push things aggressively in order for them to not end up 10 pages back and forgotten. I have long suggested, that the best way to get something specific done is to contact a specific Senator and get him to embrace your issues and focus on them.
I have mentioned these issues several times, both here and in the update thread.  I'm not trying to get someone to embrace my issues (as GM I'm trying not to push an agenda on this bill), just get some basic input as to how I am to interpret this bill if it passes. I was just assuming the bill's authors and sponsors can read this thread and answer questions from the GM, but I guess you are right.
Unfotunately, it does appear that I am right. Tongue Hate it when that happens, because it is usually bad.

I wasn't referring to an agenda so much as your concerns and feedback. I have longed desired for the very kind of interaction you are referring to, but laziness and apathy are powerful forces in this body and have been for quite some time. That is why I am now using the threat of tabling just to ensure that the sponsors post at least once explaining why they are pushing for their bills.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #327 on: July 25, 2012, 04:14:04 PM »

Shua I might have to veto this and redraft it so let's talk about what programs are missing.

The spending portions of the Comprehensive Protection of Nuclear Power Act, the Smart Grid Electrical Distribution Act, the Oil Spill Protection Act, the Competition in Electricity Utilities Act;
and the spending and tax portions of the Consolidated Marijuana Regulation Act.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #328 on: July 25, 2012, 04:19:46 PM »

Also, there is this that I realized due to a comment made by sbane, that should be included if you want to retain the current estate tax and the programs funded by it.

Looks like we don't have a capital gains tax or an estate tax. I would be willing to lower income tax rates further and enact these new taxes.
Sorry - we do have an estate tax but I somehow forgot to include it.  With the Estate Tax Reform Act and the Public Housing Act, there should be added $8.5 billion for Public Housing Act spending and $47.9 billion for estate tax revenue.

As for capital gains taxes, they are included in the income tax figures, but with a deduction for the lower rate which I've been assuming is at the same rate as RL.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #329 on: July 26, 2012, 09:16:01 AM »

Considering the subsantial number of problems with this bill, I have decided to halt the final vote. Senators have 72 hours to object.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #330 on: July 26, 2012, 09:39:55 AM »

Shua, could you give the breakdown for the revenue collected at each marginal estate tax rate below?

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Rates Gathered from here:
https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Estate_Tax_Reform_Act
https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Public_Housing_Act
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #331 on: July 26, 2012, 09:50:56 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Public_Housing_Act

I want to put them both together so as to minimize the time and hazzle to fix these problems.

My policy regarding amendments to this is still in effect. They must modify all parts of the text changed as a result of the amendment. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #332 on: July 26, 2012, 10:05:10 AM »

Shua, could you give the breakdown for the revenue collected at each marginal estate tax rate below?
Is it necessary to figure that out, since I gave you the total?  In a few days I'll be gone for a week and until then I have some time to work on this but it is limited.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #333 on: July 26, 2012, 10:16:26 AM »

Is it necessary to figure that out, since I gave you the total?  In a few days I'll be gone for a week and until then I have some time to work on this but it is limited.

We could get by without it if absolutely necessary, but I think that if its possible we should try to include it. I will leave it up to you to decide.

I plan to have this back at a final vote after the 72 hours is expired, with only slight wiggle room for 24 hour objection times on amendments.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #334 on: July 27, 2012, 08:26:03 AM »
« Edited: July 27, 2012, 08:27:46 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Comprehensive Protection of Nuclear Power Act.
$2.5 billion shall be appropriated for the development of more advanced equipment capable of cleaning up and/or containing potential nuclear disasters, as well as safety equipment to prevent such disasters. $2.5 Billion

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=151499.0

the Smart Grid Electrical Distribution Act
The Department of Energy is appropriated $500 Billion over the next 20 years to implement smart grid technologies to reduce stress on the transmission grid and increase efficiency. $50 Billion annually

3. Funding for this investment will be obtained by the imposition of a tax of 0.65 cents per kW-h to be paid by utility companies for using the grid.$23.6 Billion

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=151471.0

the Oil Spill Protection Act
Section 1: Oil Profits Tax

1. Any oil company that does business within Atlasia and earns a larger quarterly profit than one billion dollars shall be subject to a 5% tax on all profits above one billion dollars in that quarter. $7.2 Billion

2. Revenue from the oil profits tax shall be diverted into a newly created Oil Spill Protection Fund which shall be used to promote research and development of new technologies to prevent environmental damages in the event of an oil spill or similar disaster, as well as to fund emergency clean-up and rebuilding measures in the aftermath of such an event. Is this 100% of the revenue?

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=147896.0

the Competition in Electricity Utilities Act
1. $10 billion shall be distributed evenly among the regions for the expansion of coverage and rate protection of public electricity utilities. $10 billion

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=146922.0

and the spending and tax portions of the Consolidated Marijuana Regulation Act
2. The commercial selling and smoking of marijuana cigarettes shall be subject to identical location-specific smoking regulations and cigarette tax rates as currently placed on tobacco, currently placed at $1.00 per pack.

3. The commercial selling of products including marijuana shall be subject to an additional 10% excise tax.

2 and 3 together > $8.7 Billion

4. 20% of revenue raised directly from the taxes of marijuana products specific in this or future Acts shall be directed to the construction and funding of treatment centers for alcohol, marijuana, and other drug abuses. $1.74 Billion exact figure in question, being looked into now

Revenue Numbers from GM's May Report. Links to Legislation of origin are provided.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #335 on: July 28, 2012, 11:06:05 AM »

We have everything we need here to get this done I think, even without the GM who is leaving pretty soon. What we need to do now is to formulate the information into a functional amendment according to the standards I have set for this complex bill (alter entirety of the bill etc etc).

The objection period on the vote halting has until tomorrow, so that is when I plan to have the amendment formulated by. If someone else can step up and get it done sooner, I wouldn't say no, considering the extra difficulty involved for me to update such a big text.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #336 on: July 28, 2012, 11:09:11 AM »
« Edited: July 28, 2012, 02:48:24 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #337 on: July 28, 2012, 01:53:49 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2012, 02:00:09 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

I just added up the revenues (not including the changes that necessitated the halting of the vote) and I got $2949.3 for total revenue rather than the 2978.5 in Scott's text.

The numbers just aren't adding up in the current text and we can't amend onto a flawed text unless we fix the flaws first.

Edit: That 2978.5 hasn't been updated since we started debating this, that is why it doesn't add up. But that isn't all, it appears to be much worse then that.

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #338 on: July 28, 2012, 02:14:57 PM »

Is the new pet shelter program suppose to be included in this, too?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #339 on: July 28, 2012, 02:51:10 PM »

I double checked each category and sub total to ensure that what is in there now is reflected in the totals and subtotals through the text (3 posts prior to this one, not some other text Tongue).

I beg that someone please double check all the numbers. All of them. Once we find out what the hell is actually in this, then we can add in the stuff that shua brought up and any other missing items.

As for pet shelters, I haven't the slightest idea.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #340 on: July 29, 2012, 02:58:08 PM »

I have got about 30 minutes maybe at best before I have to go today, so it looks like we will be losing a day off my current plan to have a final vote going by tomorrow.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #341 on: July 30, 2012, 12:09:06 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2012, 12:22:06 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

1. Estate Tax Revenue Added
2. Marijuana Tax Revenue Updated
3. Oil Spill Protection Tax Revenue Verified
4. Smart Grid Electrical Distribution Tax Revenue Verified

AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #342 on: July 30, 2012, 12:21:53 PM »

That actually looks good.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #343 on: July 30, 2012, 12:23:02 PM »

It isn't even halfway done. Tongue
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #344 on: July 30, 2012, 12:24:33 PM »

So? I think it's pretty, and if you try and stop me from letting the world know, just know that you can't!
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #345 on: July 30, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »

So? I think it's pretty, and if you try and stop me from letting the world know, just know that you can't!

I can. Have fun in the FEMA camp!
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #346 on: July 30, 2012, 12:28:05 PM »

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo not again!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #347 on: July 30, 2012, 12:28:28 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2012, 01:42:41 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

6. Afghanistan Spending Cut

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #348 on: July 30, 2012, 12:30:49 PM »

I think we should use some of the surplus to place a Slip and Slide in the FEMA camps, to entertain our imprisoned official.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #349 on: July 30, 2012, 01:05:18 PM »

I am beginning to hit up against the Post Character Limit.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies