In hindsight--American Wars (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:57:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  In hindsight--American Wars (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of the following American conflicts would you have supported intervening in with hindsight?
Revolutionary War

Quasi-War

War of 1812

Mexican-American War

American Civil War (as someone in the Union)

Spanish-American War

World War I

World War II

Korean War

Vietnam War

Operation Just Cause (Panama)

First Gulf War

Bosnian War

Kosovo War

Afghan War

Iraq War

Operation Unified Protector (Libya)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: In hindsight--American Wars  (Read 8185 times)
LBJer
« on: May 22, 2012, 12:22:08 PM »
« edited: May 22, 2012, 12:27:26 PM by LBJer »

I voted Civil War (Union), WWII, the Gulf War (1991), the Bosnia and Kosovo conflicts, and the Afghan War (although I would have only sent U.S. forces into Afghanistan with the specific objective of eliminating bin Laden and al-Qaeda, not for the open ended conflict with the Taliban they're engaged in over there).  

If I lived during the Revolutionary War, I'm not sure which side I would have supported--after all, a great many colonial Americans not only remained loyal to but actually fought for Britain.  Unlike slavery in the Civil War, there was no clear moral issue that gave one side superiority over the other (if anything, the British have the edge in this regard for their proclamation promising slaves freedom who ran away and joined them).  The patriots' bid for independence could (and still can) be viewed as either a treasonous rebellion or a legitimate struggle for freedom.

The Mexican War and the Iraq War are clearly the least morally defensible, with the Spanish-American perhaps not far behind.
LBJer
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 08:47:43 AM »

Even allowing for some pro-Confederate respondents, I find the number of voters who chose the Civil War--20 out of 30--surprisingly low.  For those who didn't choose it, I'd be interested to know what your reasons are.
LBJer
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 12:59:49 PM »

the burden is on those who would favor an action, rather than it would be on me to prove a negative.  so you can start us off.

Slavery was bad; the Civil War ended it.

the average Southern black life (adjusting for broader trend-line quality-of-life increases) was no better in, say, 1950 than it was in 1860.

I find this way of thinking incredibly obtuse.  You're completely ignoring the enormous psychological benefit of no longer being someone else's property.  Not having to worry about having your kids torn from you and sold away is pretty damn important.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies