Who is on your ignore list? (2012 edition)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:34:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Who is on your ignore list? (2012 edition)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Who is on your ignore list? (2012 edition)  (Read 7459 times)
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2012, 09:08:10 PM »

I agree with Clarence. Just because someone opposes gay marriage does not make them a homophobe. I'm sure if JCL met a gay person, he wouldn't run away screaming and yelling in terror. That's a homophobe. I don't support affirmative action, but that doesn't make me a racist.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2012, 09:14:37 PM »

I think opposing fully equal rights for gay people is inherently homophobic. I understand where you guys are coming from, but your definitions of homophobia seem stricter than mine, which, being mine, I believe are correct. It's not like anti-miscegenationists aren't racist because they don't actively hate black people. In my view, any law that discriminates against gay people/black people/women/etc. is homophobic/racist/sexist, as are its supporters.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2012, 09:32:22 PM »

It's not like you could say "I'm not racist, I just don't want black people in the front of the bus."

I don't think that's a very great metaphor, honestly; a more adroit one would be if, say, some random black man wanted to join the Polish-American Club.  Pre-existing members of the club might naturally be outraged and oppose it on the basis that it renders the very basis for the club meaningless - it redefines Polish-Americanness as something else (say, affinity for Polish culture).  However, the wrinkle in the metaphor is that members of the Polish-American club get special legal rights and privileges that non-members don't get, and so there is an inherently discriminatory legal regime so long as the club leadership can exclude people.  The natural solution is to extend any such rights and privileges to anyone who requests them while simultaneously getting the government out of the business of deciding who is and who isn't a Polish-American.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2012, 06:48:04 PM »

JCL, coming into this thread to defend yourself probably isn't the best first step to get off these people's lists. Tongue

Try to just take it in and carefully think before you post. That's what I've been doing... and it actually feels sort of refreshing.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2012, 08:31:54 PM »

I only have two people on my ignore list; FreedomFighter and kenyanobama. They're the only ones crazy/trollish enough that I don't think they could be reasonable.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2012, 08:51:53 PM »

No active posters that I can think of. I unsuccessfully ignored Phil for a while considering our extremely volatile history. That seems to be entirely in the past, thankfully. So there's really no reason for me to ignore anyone at the moment. Besides, I find it to be almost counter-intuitive to place a specific label on posts you hope not to notice.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2012, 01:04:14 AM »

I cleared my ignore list again.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2012, 02:18:46 AM »

I just cleared mine too, the only active posters on it were BigSkyBob and WhyteRain, and I doubt I'll read their posts anyway, I'll just gaze over them like I do whenever I see a post by pbrower.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies