Who is on your ignore list? (2012 edition) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:13:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Who is on your ignore list? (2012 edition) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who is on your ignore list? (2012 edition)  (Read 7557 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« on: June 23, 2012, 09:32:22 PM »

It's not like you could say "I'm not racist, I just don't want black people in the front of the bus."

I don't think that's a very great metaphor, honestly; a more adroit one would be if, say, some random black man wanted to join the Polish-American Club.  Pre-existing members of the club might naturally be outraged and oppose it on the basis that it renders the very basis for the club meaningless - it redefines Polish-Americanness as something else (say, affinity for Polish culture).  However, the wrinkle in the metaphor is that members of the Polish-American club get special legal rights and privileges that non-members don't get, and so there is an inherently discriminatory legal regime so long as the club leadership can exclude people.  The natural solution is to extend any such rights and privileges to anyone who requests them while simultaneously getting the government out of the business of deciding who is and who isn't a Polish-American.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies