Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 19, 2014, 04:27:42 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Forum Community
| |-+  Off-topic Board (Moderators: Torie, The Mikado, Badger)
| | |-+  Varavour's Primer for What to Wear and When to Wear It
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Print
Author Topic: Varavour's Primer for What to Wear and When to Wear It  (Read 15752 times)
Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: 5.91

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 11:44:43 pm »
Ignore

How do people afford this sort of stuff for leisure? I don't have anything against dressing up for an occasion or for work (if I needed to) but all these clothes have to cost thousands of dollars. A couple of these suits could cover a month's worth of rent and then some.

Of Course!
Is this a thread specifically for men's wear, or can we include recommendations for women as well as far as evening wear is concerned?  Because if this thread's purpose is broader, I have something sexy, sensuous, and yet elegant in mind.  Something like this:

Uh...no.

muon2
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2012, 08:51:36 am »
Ignore

And for everyday wear for men:

Can you see yourself wearing something like this?

It's a crying shame that these hats went out of fashion.   It's time we bring them back into the mainstream...

I have a couple of fedoras and similar styled hats as part of a large collection. I rarely go out without one. Circumstances will dictate if I go with my fedora, flat cap, ball cap, Russian fur cap, or even top hat.

Partial solar eclipse of October 23, 2014 with a cloud and large sunspot.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2012, 09:13:35 am »
Ignore

Not so much.  I do like fishing hats though. Those fedoras are way too hard.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2012, 01:48:30 pm »
Ignore

I only have straw ones.
Wear them to work in this kind of weather, too.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
#Ready4Nixon
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2012, 01:32:28 pm »
Ignore

This is a complete and total freedom thread.

I thought you liked band shirts.

That I do. When I'm wearing jeans or shorts. But this thread oozes class and when you're scheming hour after hour on becoming a member of the elite, things like these come in handy. Besides, when you end up going to a funeral or being sponsor at your brother's confirmation, a suit actually does come in handy. Every person (with a decent income) should own at least one.

Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2012, 09:14:37 am »
Ignore

Illustrative Interlude Number Two
Sartorial achievement: an demonstration of cause-and-effect

Figure 1:

Figure 2:

...but while the former group of men shan't have either, there's no reason the latter isn't having it both ways- and so can you, lads!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 09:27:56 am by Simfan34 »Logged

asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2012, 09:27:02 am »
Ignore

Figure 1:

Figure 2:

...but while the former group of men shan't have either, there's no reason the latter isn't having it both ways- and so can you, lads!

Not my type.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
incredibly specific types of post-punk music
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2012, 10:52:30 am »
Ignore

That I do. When I'm wearing jeans or shorts. But this thread oozes class and when you're scheming hour after hour on becoming a member of the elite, things like these come in handy. Besides, when you end up going to a funeral or being sponsor at your brother's confirmation, a suit actually does come in handy. Every person (with a decent income) should own at least one.

If I was ever a confirmation sponsor, I'd wear a band shirt. I got baptized in a band shirt, what's the difference?

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
London Man
Silent Hunter
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2012, 12:13:59 pm »
Ignore

If I was ever a confirmation sponsor, I'd wear a band shirt. I got baptized in a band shirt, what's the difference?

Confirmation doesn't involve full-body immersion, so one should go a bit smarter.

Paul Kemp
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2012, 12:42:59 pm »
Ignore

bro youre so cool

oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2012, 01:47:06 pm »
Ignore

Figure 1:

Figure 2:

The first group are hardly poorly dressed, though.

The problem with this thread is that (quite aside from the issue that hardly anyone can afford to dress like you suggest) dressing like that outside of the proper context (i.e. a wedding) won't make you look like dapper and suave, but like a socially awkward manchild.

I'd like to cite this picture.

Lief
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2012, 01:48:54 pm »
Ignore

The best dressed person in that last Simfan post is the guy on the right in the first picture.

oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2012, 02:02:15 pm »
Ignore

The best dressed person in that last Simfan post is the guy on the right in the first picture.

The He-Man t-shirt's also kinda cool.

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2012, 02:07:16 pm »
Ignore

The problem with this thread is that (quite aside from the issue that hardly anyone can afford to dress like you suggest) dressing like that outside of the proper context (i.e. a wedding) won't make you look like dapper and suave, but like a socially awkward manchild.

Most would look ridiculous in context.

In fairness, no one looks good in a hat with pinstripes.

Paul Kemp
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2012, 03:10:22 pm »
Ignore

christ That's excellent.

#Ready4Nixon
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2012, 03:21:15 pm »
Ignore

Well, for one, your church, form what I recall, is a bit different from the church Papists like me attend. Second, it's a wiser choice to go looking like you respect the ceremony that's about to take place, rather than go looking like you wanna get the hell outta there so you can go to your indie concert. At least pretend you respect the ceremony, for God's sake.

Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2012, 03:56:06 pm »
Ignore

... when you're scheming hour after hour on becoming a member of the elite, things like these come in handy.

You are so scheming?  Could you share with us what you have come up with so far?  Or direct me to any thread where you have previously done so?

Just curious, and best of luck to you.

Opebo, I just would like to say that you look fantastic in blue...  

#Ready4Nixon
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2012, 03:59:03 pm »
Ignore

... when you're scheming hour after hour on becoming a member of the elite, things like these come in handy.

You are so scheming?  Could you share with us what you have come up with so far?  Or direct me to any thread where you have previously done so?

Just curious, and best of luck to you.

Well the general idea is to slowly move up the ladder in terms of politics, power, and money. Go into banking or law or something like that while ascending the ranks of the Republican party and becoming a one percenter. The way things are going, the elites will soon be asserting direct authority over the cattle-like people, and I have to be part of that.

TheDeadFlagBlues
YaBB God
Mexico

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2012, 05:06:37 pm »
Ignore

Dressing in a fashion style that is nearly one hundred years old is definitely not the right way to get pussy. Should I make one of these threads? Maybe I will.

Economic score: -6.26
Social score: -7.74
АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2012, 05:26:45 pm »
Ignore

Should be titled: Women Willing to Give Up Sex for $$$

PS: I am using my late mother's Facebook account due to the difficulty of changing identities on Facebook. She has yet to complain.
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2012, 09:17:32 pm »
Ignore

Confirmation doesn't involve full-body immersion, so one should go a bit smarter.

OK but I brought clothes I changed into in the bathroom right afterwards, and that also included a band shirt.

Well, for one, your church, form what I recall, is a bit different from the church Papists like me attend. Second, it's a wiser choice to go looking like you respect the ceremony that's about to take place, rather than go looking like you wanna get the hell outta there so you can go to your indie concert. At least pretend you respect the ceremony, for God's sake.

The idea that dress is related to how much respect you show for the ceremony is a really bad premise. Does that mean the bands I see don't care about what they're doing? If I ever ended up someone's sponsor in a Lutheran confirmation, I'd dress how I normally do. Actually come to think of it I might dress like a supervisor at my job does and wear a tie, but wear a worn shirt and holey jeans with it, aka do it to be "ironic".
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 10:16:06 pm by only dumbs care, jmfcst »Logged

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2012, 11:55:45 am »
Ignore

It's a crying shame that these hats went out of fashion.   It's time we bring them back into the mainstream...

I have a couple of fedoras and similar styled hats as part of a large collection. I rarely go out without one. Circumstances will dictate if I go with my fedora, flat cap, ball cap, Russian fur cap, or even top hat.

Fedoras go well with your outfit only if you're wearing a full suit as the picture suggests.  Which is why any such fashion trends should begin only in New York and/or Washington, D.C.  

Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2012, 12:02:50 pm »
Ignore

Fedoras go well with your outfit only if you're wearing a full suit as the picture suggests.  Which is why any such fashion trends should begin only in New York and/or Washington, D.C.  

I strongly agree. Although odd jackets could pull it off, and if you're wearing a long coat you might be able to pull it off.  Oakvale's illustration is incorrect for the reason you stated.

BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2012, 01:18:44 pm »
Ignore

I have a feeling if I take any pictures of my high school reunion it'll piss Simfan off soooooooooooooooo much...

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2012, 02:00:18 pm »
Ignore

Here is the second installment!

MODERN-DAY FORMAL/SEMI-FORMAL

This, on the other hand, is technically considered to be semi-formal, but it's as formal as most men will ever get.

Daywear
(before 6pm)
Just as the suit-like dinner jacket was an informal replacement for the evening tailcoat, the suit-like stroller (black lounge in UK) rose to popularity on both sides of the Atlantic in the 1920s as a less formal replacement for the morning tailcoat.  But whereas the dinner jacket eventually supplanted the tailcoat as formal evening attire, the stroller faded into obscurity after World War Two leaving the morning coat as standard formal day wear.  Although rarely seen today this alternative remains equally acceptable, and arguably more much more versatile.

Taken from the Black Tie Guide

Eveningwear
(after 6pm)

The most commonly seen- and thus abused- kind of formalized dress, black tie today is worn far less often than it can and should be. Americans know this as the tuxedo, but the term has been so stretched out, appropriated at times for the entire class of formal and semi-formal rigs, that I don't use it if I can help it.

The first element is the jacket. The classic jacket is a peak lapel, single breasted, one-button jacket. It has no vents and no pocket flaps. It is black. The first jacket illustrated is in my opinion, completely perfect. It contains all those elements, and in addition the lapel width is nothing short of sublime, and the "link front" hearkens to an older age in a way that just sends me into is an almost sexual throe of pleasure. But that's my taste, and there are other acceptable options.

Classic alternatives include a double breasted jacket, or a shawl lapel. Also accpetable is the "blacker-than-black" midnight blue. More recent changes include the notch lapel, which is not my taste but today is by far the most common kind of lapel seen. It can look good, and really has been around for longer than most give it credit for, but to me to it looks too business-like, too much of a calling akin to that of day wear.

Some options that I would strongly recommend against would include venting or pocket flaps or two (or more!) buttons, which again are too-business like and really don't belong on dinner jackets; most often they are the result of a second-rate manufacturer trying to skimp on cost by using the same patterns as regular day suits. Of course, more high-end tailors have followed this trend. Stay away! If you are going to get a dinner jacket with those features, stop! Save the money and just wear a black day suit.

As for trousers, they should be the same material and color as the jacket. They should have no cuffs on the bottom. As for shoes- and this goes for white tie as well- the classic choice is opera pumps, but most men find these too effeminate (I honestly can't blame them- they have bows on them).

Ties must be black, unless you are in that special group of men that has achieved sartorial nirvana and can now break the rules, being in full understanding of them and how exactly to break them. Of course we are talking about bow ties here, neck ties do not belong and destroy the "v" of the jacket.

The waist must be covered, either with a cummerbund or a waistcoat, see my illustrative interlude on page one for specifics on vests. As for smoking jackets, if you're hosting a black tie affair in your own home, go ahead. Or if you're in smoking lounge on an ocean liner (which does not exist) or a black tie reception in a tobacconist.

Onwards to the longest and probably multi-chapter installment, informal dress! But here is an illustration of lapels.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 02:45:18 pm by Solidarity! »Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout