Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 20, 2014, 11:35:14 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Forum Community
| |-+  Off-topic Board (Moderators: Torie, The Mikado, Badger)
| | |-+  Simfan34's Primer for What to Wear and When to Wear It
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Print
Author Topic: Simfan34's Primer for What to Wear and When to Wear It  (Read 11613 times)
Minstrel Show Taylor Swift
Lief
YaBB God
Dominica

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2012, 02:22:24 pm »
Ignore

I'm strongly against notch lapels for tuxedo jackets. It should either be peak (traditional) or shawl (a little more stylish and daring).

The cummerbund/vest is also unnecessary these days, IMO. Not a fan of either with a tux; they only go against the beautiful simplicity that makes the evening wear so excellent.

Governor Simfan
Simfan34
YaBB God
Ghana

Political Matrix
E: 2.32, S: 4.87

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2012, 02:42:07 pm »
Ignore

I'm strongly against notch lapels for tuxedo jackets. It should either be peak (traditional) or shawl (a little more stylish and daring).

The cummerbund/vest is also unnecessary these days, IMO. Not a fan of either with a tux; they only go against the beautiful simplicity that makes the evening wear so excellent.

The waistcovering is necessary, I think, as otherwise you'd end up with the white showing beneath you're button, a waistcovering helps you keep the elegant all-black look.

How jarring! Waistcoverings prevent this, otherwise great suits being ruined. I prefer cummerbunds as they're less intrusive, and sit quietly at the waist; I would like prefer the vest but good, low-buttoned vests are hard to find.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 02:44:30 pm by Solidarity! »Logged

"Dictator Paul Kagame was busy fornicating, embezzling funds, eating sausages and drinking yogurt."

King
intermoderate
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2012, 02:43:32 pm »
Ignore

As long as the outfit is well fitted, it will work.  That's where suits succeed and most one-size-fits-none t-shirts bought at a concert fail.  Your clothes must say "underneath all this is a sixpack."

I can do spaghetti after recalling the steps.
I just had Braum's on Sunday, so I'm good for a while.  Tonight, I had Burger King.
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2012, 06:03:02 pm »
Ignore

Of course the other elephant in the room is that teenagers look like tools in suits by definition. It's just not right.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Governor Simfan
Simfan34
YaBB God
Ghana

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2012, 06:05:08 pm »
Ignore

Of course the other elephant in the room is that teenagers look like tools in suits by definition. It's just not right.

"But you look 23," they say.

"Dictator Paul Kagame was busy fornicating, embezzling funds, eating sausages and drinking yogurt."

King
intermoderate
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2012, 06:20:12 pm »
Ignore

no

I can do spaghetti after recalling the steps.
I just had Braum's on Sunday, so I'm good for a while.  Tonight, I had Burger King.
oakvale
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2012, 06:26:29 pm »
Ignore

*sigh*

Seriously, go die in a ditch, anti-semitic scumbag.
Governor Simfan
Simfan34
YaBB God
Ghana

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2012, 08:06:07 pm »
Ignore

The point is I don't look like a tool in a suit. I don't look like a tool in general. But I get offered liquor in restaurants all the time.

Fmr. President & Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2012, 09:40:47 pm »
Ignore

I hate cummerbunds... always have, always will.

I don't mind a little white showing through.

Some personal likes...

The 'double-cuff', allowing the shirt cuff to extend beyond the jacket's cuff.

I wear suits to work, because the nature of my work requires them, it just so happens that I also like suits, but it's a little bit too much to wear them all the time.

Plus you can do a lot with smart-casual too.

Dogma is a comfortable thing, it saves you from thought - Sir Robert Menzies
muon2
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2012, 10:13:08 pm »
Ignore

The waistcovering is necessary, I think, as otherwise you'd end up with the white showing beneath you're button, a waistcovering helps you keep the elegant all-black look.

How jarring! Waistcoverings prevent this, otherwise great suits being ruined. I prefer cummerbunds as they're less intrusive, and sit quietly at the waist; I would like prefer the vest but good, low-buttoned vests are hard to find.

I'm afraid that my evening wear jacket is notch lapel, but at least it is single button. It has side pockets, but no flaps, just an unassuming line. These days I'm prone to a cummerbund, though I preferred a vest when I was young. I will admit to having a matching silver-gray tie and cummerbund when I feel like showing up in something other than black. It nicely highlights the touch of gray in my beard. Wink

Lunar Eclipse of April 15, 2014 with the star Spica.
Snowstalker
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -8.45, S: -4.26

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2012, 11:37:40 pm »
Ignore

My God Simfan, you're whiter than a bleached polar bear dipped in vanilla ice cream.

Passing Through a Screen Door
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2012, 12:42:59 am »
Ignore

Simfan, what do you think of the guitarist on the right of the stage in this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8yVg-nOgCg

The band is not good...but that is the only time I can see someone wearing a tie and looking good.

Victory over Inks dedicated in memory.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Governor Simfan
Simfan34
YaBB God
Ghana

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2012, 12:10:42 pm »
Ignore

I'm not fond of black shirts or ties, so not too well. But the lead singer is dressed well, I think. This of course is a casual occasion.

Governor Simfan
Simfan34
YaBB God
Ghana

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2012, 07:15:46 pm »
Ignore

I'm afraid that my evening wear jacket is notch lapel, but at least it is single button. It has side pockets, but no flaps, just an unassuming line. These days I'm prone to a cummerbund, though I preferred a vest when I was young. I will admit to having a matching silver-gray tie and cummerbund when I feel like showing up in something other than black. It nicely highlights the touch of gray in my beard. Wink

Very good. You've earned the tie.

I hate cummerbunds... always have, always will.

I don't mind a little white showing through.

Some personal likes...

The 'double-cuff', allowing the shirt cuff to extend beyond the jacket's cuff.

I wear suits to work, because the nature of my work requires them, it just so happens that I also like suits, but it's a little bit too much to wear them all the time.

Plus you can do a lot with smart-casual too.

I suppose that's your taste, and indeed I also like the french cuff, although as a rule of thumb the shirt cuff should always extend beyond the jacket.

My God Simfan, you're whiter than a bleached polar bear dipped in vanilla ice cream.

"A 60-year old WASP in an 18-year old black kid's body," the saying goes.

Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2012, 09:10:34 pm »
Ignore

The Young Republican look generally isn't something to aspire to, it's true.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2012, 10:43:22 am »
Ignore

Simfan what would you have proposed I wear while being baptized? Remember that this involves full body immersion. Though I'm sure you would've carried one of those suits covered in plastic on a hanger to change into in the bathroom afterwards instead of just in your backpack.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 10:46:22 am by The Grass Withers and its Flower Falls »Logged

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2012, 02:05:56 pm »
Ignore

Simfan what would you have proposed I wear while being baptized? Remember that this involves full body immersion. Though I'm sure you would've carried one of those suits covered in plastic on a hanger to change into in the bathroom afterwards instead of just in your backpack.

I'm still baffled as to why you're so baffled by the idea of catechumen's robes.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
Governor Simfan
Simfan34
YaBB God
Ghana

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2012, 02:12:54 pm »
Ignore

I'd wear a white tee shirt with white long underwear, I suppose. No, some tunic or toga thingy. The whole Mormon thing. Really, this kind of baptism is beyond my comprehension. I really don't know. Here's what I wore to my baptism:

a real human being
Ghost_white
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: 5.91

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2012, 02:24:14 pm »
Ignore

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FridgeHorror

That has got to be one of the most retarded proposals I have read on this forum.

Don't worry, I'm sure more will crop up shortly.
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2012, 10:28:13 pm »
Ignore

I'm still baffled as to why you're so baffled by the idea of catechumen's robes.

Just not familiar with them. Remember I haven't seen adult baptisms in person anywhere but my own church, and they certainly aren't in those photos or videos I posted.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
TheReporter
Rookie
United States

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2012, 02:33:44 pm »
Ignore

I hate to make a beeline to the off-topic section, but I've been lurking this thread with a mixture of pleasure and bemusement. The Sartorialist, have you ever even worn the clothes you talk about? What attracts you to archaic codes and regulations, the things of formal dress almost no one wears? Are you that desperate to belong to the aristocracy; do you forget that in this country marrying into wealth confers no title? I can only shudder as to what you think about blacks and Hispanics.

BRTD- your fashion tastes and mine are one and the same.
oakvale
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2012, 02:49:31 pm »
Ignore

So, yeah, Simfan has made some kind of strawman sock with whom to debate. That's interesting.

Seriously, go die in a ditch, anti-semitic scumbag.
The Mikado
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2012, 02:51:18 pm »

Thank you for finally posting, The Reporter.  This makes things so much easier.

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
Governor Simfan
Simfan34
YaBB God
Ghana

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2012, 02:54:07 pm »
Ignore

So, yeah, Simfan has made some kind of strawman sock with whom to debate. That's interesting.

Erm... no.

I hate to make a beeline to the off-topic section, but I've been lurking this thread with a mixture of pleasure and bemusement. The Sartorialist, have you ever even worn the clothes you talk about? What attracts you to archaic codes and regulations, the things of formal dress almost no one wears? Are you that desperate to belong to the aristocracy; do you forget that in this country marrying into wealth confers no title? I can only shudder as to what you think about blacks and Hispanics.

BRTD- your fashion tastes and mine are one and the same.

I just like dressing well. I also am black.

only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2012, 03:45:30 am »
Ignore

And what do you think about yourself?

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout