Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2014, 01:21:52 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government
| | |-+  Regional Governments (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | | |-+  NE2: Mind-Altering Substance Accountability Act of 2012 [Failed]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: NE2: Mind-Altering Substance Accountability Act of 2012 [Failed]  (Read 1201 times)
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2012, 04:05:04 pm »
Ignore

Mind-Altering Substance Accountability Act of 2012
1. Any person who chooses to use mind-altering substances such as marijuana, LSD, alcohol, psilocybin, salvia, MDMA, etc. is responsible for their actions while under the influence of said substances.

2. If a person under the influence of mind-altering substances causes the death of another Atlasian, they are to be charged with Involuntary Manslaughter and sentenced according to standards set by the region in which the offense is committed.

3. If a person under the influence of mind-altering substances causes a vehicular accident that does not take the life of another Atlasian, but instead causes them severe injuries such as paralysis, coma or amputation, they are to be charged with Reckless Endangerment and sentenced according to standards set by the region in which the offense is committed.

4. If a person under the influence of mind-altering drugs is operating a motor vehicle and is pulled over by a law enforcement official, said law enforcement official reserves the right to test the offender for sobriety. If the offender is found to be impaired by any mind-altering substance, as outlined in Section 1, they are to be charged with Driving Under the Influence of a Mind Altering Substance and should be sentenced according to standards set by the region in which the offense is committed.

Sponsor: Representative Simfan
Debate time: 72 hours
Debate expires: 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, May 26th
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 09:52:05 pm by AverroŽs Nix »Logged

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 04:13:32 pm »
Ignore

Eliminate the fourth provision and I'll support this bill. But I won't vote for any legislation that calls for mandatory sobriety tests.

Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: 5.91

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 08:19:19 pm »
Ignore

Eliminate the fourth provision and I'll support this bill. But I won't vote for any legislation that calls for mandatory sobriety tests.

It's not mandatory, the term is "reserves the right" after being pulled over.

GM Napoleon
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 08:28:23 pm »
Ignore

I stand firmly with Speaker Nix regarding Section 4. Also, it isn't good enough to have a list followed by etc. Be specific.

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 08:30:13 pm »
Ignore

i.e. the officer has the right to demand the test and a driver can't opt out .

Technically the law is worded so that only people under the influence of mind-altering drugs are subject to testing, but it's not clear what the consequences would be for demanding a test that reads negative.

Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 09:12:04 pm »
Ignore

i.e. the officer has the right to demand the test and a driver can't opt out .

Technically the law is worded so that only people under the influence of mind-altering drugs are subject to testing, but it's not clear what the consequences would be for demanding a test that reads negative.

Realize I've used the language of the federal proposal. But doesn't refusal give the officer the right to arrest? This is already the law. But I could change the wording to "a person suspected of being..."

Governor, would you or the region have a comprehensive list of mind altering drugs?

GM Napoleon
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 09:16:32 pm »
Ignore

Legal or illegal?
I don't have a list but mind altering substances could be anything from coffee to heroin.

I'm of the opinion that one should only be tested after having been caught committing a crime; you can't test someone and then decide to arrest them.

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 09:59:05 pm »
Ignore

Doesn't refusal give the officer the right to arrest? This is already the law.

Federal or regional?

Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 10:06:49 pm »
Ignore

Legal or illegal?
I don't have a list but mind altering substances could be anything from coffee to heroin.

I'm of the opinion that one should only be tested after having been caught committing a crime; you can't test someone and then decide to arrest them.

But when it is not clear if an act is criminal or not? Is this not how things are conducted in the real world?

To me right now it sounds like you two want people under the influence to be allowed to go off scot free. You are free to elucidate my understanding of the situation.

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 10:11:38 pm »
Ignore

To me right now it sounds like you two want people under the influence to be allowed to go off scot free. You are free to elucidate my understanding of the situation.

You're correct about my opinion. Assuming that they have not committed some other crime, their activities shouldn't concern law enforcement.

Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 10:14:52 pm »
Ignore

Is DUI not currently on the Northeast's books? Are you seriously suggesting there be no limit as to how much alcohol, for example, one can consume and still drive? Your stance would put thousands of Northeasterners in mortal peril daily.

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 10:21:34 pm »
Ignore

Driving puts thousands of Northeasterners in mortal peril daily.

I am in favor of strict penalties for those at fault when irresponsible behavior on the road leads to fatalities, injuries, or damages to property.

Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 10:27:52 pm »
Ignore

I am in favor of strict penalties for those at fault when irresponsible behavior on the road leads to fatalities, injuries, or damages to property.

Clearly we have a very different perspective on the matter. If the Governor and other members of the assembly echo your concerns, I will introduce an amendment to remove Article Four.

GM Napoleon
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 10:30:27 pm »
Ignore

I suspect Speaker Nix and I will have the same position on anything related to this bill.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 07:21:44 pm »
Ignore

To merely say that driving puts thousands of lives in danger every day is really not addressing the issue or the problem.  The issue is reducing risk to the public, in this case by the introduction of a mind-altering substance accountability act.

I am of the view that there should be meaningful consequences for driving while under the influence of mind-altering substances, as well as for driving while under the influence of alcohol.  But the alcohol issue is another matter.

In order for this legislation to be as effective as possible, clearly, law enforcement must have the authority and the ability to test the driver for the use of these substances, in much the same way as they would test for alcohol use.  However, this authority must be kept within the bounds as set by law, and the law must be reasonable and justified.

July 2 , 2014

President Obama has topped predecessor George W. Bush in another poll, but not one he would like.

In a new Quinnipiac University Poll, 33% named Obama the worst president since World War II, and 28% put Bush at the bottom of post-war presidents.

OBAMA WORSE THAN DUBYA!  WOW!
Badger
badger
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 10:07:27 pm »
Ignore

But how does one determine if one is at fault without such techniques as field sobriety testing? I hope you don't mean enforcement of DUI laws is necessary only AFTER a fatality or injury has occurred?

But if one fails field sobriety testing (done properly) is indicative of the driver having committed a crime. To say otherwise not only reduces DUI enforcemnt to post injury/death prosecution--much like only arresting someone for shooting a gun into a crowd of people only after he actually hits and kills/wounds someone, but takes away a reasonably scientific basis for protecting the non-impaired driver from arrest. "I know drunk when I see it, Your Honor, so I arrested him".

Your self-serving slacktivism is propelling America to new heights.
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 10:52:52 pm »
Ignore

But how does one determine if one is at fault without such techniques as field sobriety testing? I hope you don't mean enforcement of DUI laws is necessary only AFTER a fatality or injury has occurred?

Short answer: I don't think that DUI laws should exist.

Crash investigators have other kinds of evidence from which to draw conclusions. Proving that a driver is at fault for a crash (or, going further, that a driver's egregiously irresponsible behavior led to a crash) does not require that investigators demonstrate that a driver was drugged at the time of an incident. Maybe the irresponsible driver wasn't drugged! Irresponsible driving comes in a wide variety of flavors of which driving under the influence is only one. I think that it's a mistake to demonize drugged drivers alone, or even especially. (Also worth noting: It's always possible that the drugged driver isn't at fault.)

The problem with drugged drivers isn't that they are drugged: It's that they're driving irresponsibly. That's the kind of behavior on which the law should focus.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:54:58 pm by AverroŽs Nix »Logged

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 11:02:34 pm »
Ignore

Also, firing a gun into a crowd of people involves a different level of risk than drunk driving. Please don't think that I'm suggesting that drunk driving isn't a morally unacceptable risk. I'm not. But the comparison is an absurd one if you have any goal beyond scaring people.

Badger
badger
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 11:16:36 pm »
Ignore

Crash investigators have other kinds of evidence from which to draw conclusions. Proving that a driver is at fault for a crash (or, going further, that a driver's egregiously irresponsible behavior led to a crash) does not require that investigators demonstrate that a driver was drugged at the time of an incident. Maybe the irresponsible driver wasn't drugged! Irresponsible driving comes in a wide variety of flavors of which driving under the influence is only one. I think that it's a mistake to demonize drugged drivers alone, or even especially. (Also worth noting: It's always possible that the drugged driver isn't at fault.)

The problem with drugged drivers isn't that they are drugged: It's that they're driving irresponsibly. That's the kind of behavior on which the law should focus.

Short answer: That is utterly and grossly irrespnsible.

You keep referring to "crash" fatality" injury" in the past tense. Do you not comprehend that DUI laws are sensably designed to avoid and deter such utter tragedies in the first place. Surely you are aware that driving under the influence VASTLY, almost immeasurably, increases the recklessness and "irresponsiblity" of driving?

Badger
badger
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 11:18:12 pm »
Ignore

Also, firing a gun into a crowd of people involves a different level of risk than drunk driving. Please don't think that I'm suggesting that drunk driving isn't a morally unacceptable risk. I'm not. But the comparison is an absurd one if you have any goal beyond scaring people.

Maybe yes, maybe no. Depends on how congested a crowd vs. how congested a highway involved.

Put another way, would you feel any safer being hit by a speeding car then a speeding bullet?

Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 05:31:50 am »
Ignore

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one, Nix. If you are under the influence of a mind-altering substance while driving, your mind will be altered in probably unsafe ways. It's pretty much a given.

There is a lot of humor to be mined from this as the mind of LBJ in the body of an 18 month old baby girl is quite hilarious.

Alfred is the Atlasian equivalent of a malevolent deity.

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 06:27:04 am »
Ignore

Short answer: That is utterly and grossly irrespnsible.

You keep referring to "crash" fatality" injury" in the past tense. Do you not comprehend that DUI laws are sensably designed to avoid and deter such utter tragedies in the first place. Surely you are aware that driving under the influence VASTLY, almost immeasurably, increases the recklessness and "irresponsiblity" of driving?

We only disagree on the kind determent that will work best. (And if there's any empirical evidence that suggests that your strategy works better, I'm open to convincing.) I know that driving under the influence is dangerous, but I think that it's better for the law to focus on actual crashes rather than potential ones. Furthermore, irresponsible drivers of all stripes deserve the same kind of censure that's typically reserved only for drunk drivers.

Put another way, would you feel any safer being hit by a speeding car then a speeding bullet?

That'd depend on whether I'm in a modern vehicle or not. But with some notable exceptions, drunk drivers are typically driving on almost-empty roads - which partly explains of why their crashes are often severe when they do happen.

Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 09:32:04 am »
Ignore

I am assuming that Rep. Winfield is of the same mind as I am due to his comments. Rep. Jones has made similar comments. I of course support it. I shall not amend to remove Article 4, as I believe this bill can pass in it's present state.

Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 06:57:38 pm »
Ignore

If you're sober, why not just prove it? It's better than killing someone in a car crash.

There is a lot of humor to be mined from this as the mind of LBJ in the body of an 18 month old baby girl is quite hilarious.

Alfred is the Atlasian equivalent of a malevolent deity.

GM Napoleon
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2012, 06:59:28 pm »
Ignore

If you're sober, why not just prove it? It's better than killing someone in a car crash.
Because numbers are quite arbitrary.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout