Official Romney VP Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:47:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Official Romney VP Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Official Romney VP Thread  (Read 953 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2012, 08:49:42 PM »

I know that a lot of you have been wanting this, so here it is. If you could, please move all discussion about our favorite Mittbot's potential running mate.

And could a mod please sticky this? Thanks in advance.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 08:50:30 PM »

Thank you!!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 08:53:15 PM »

MITTBOT REQUIRES A RUNNING_MATE.EXE COMPATIBLE WITH THE CURRENT SOFTWARE

SEARCHING...

DOWNLOADING...

CRITICAL ERROR. ALL DATA WILL BE DELETED. SYSTEM WILL RESTART IN 10 SECONDS.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 08:55:03 PM »

MITTBOT REQUIRES A RUNNING_MATE.EXE COMPATIBLE WITH THE CURRENT SOFTWARE

SEARCHING...

DOWNLOADING...

CRITICAL ERROR. ALL DATA WILL BE DELETED. SYSTEM WILL RESTART IN 10 SECONDS.

That's good.  I like that.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 08:57:55 PM »

Here's a WaPo article on Portman. Apparently his chemistry with Romney isn't that great.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/rob-portman-said-to-be-on-short-list-for-romney-vice-president/2012/05/23/gJQAtd6alU_story.html
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 12:52:34 AM »

I'll make my first and last prediction about the VP here and say Romney picks:

Richard Burr from North Carolina
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 01:15:27 AM »

My only problem with an "official Romney VP thread" is that ~90% of the commentary is people's idle speculation about who they think Romney *should* pick and what the criteria should be, etc., without any connection to what's being reported in the news.  When we do get these news stories on what the campaign is doing or who's denying interest, etc., then it'll tend to get drowned out by the idle speculation, and/or people will get confused between what's being reported from news websites and what's just speculation.  If these news bits:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=153558.0

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=153778.0

had been dropped into an omnibus thread which was mostly about speculation, then they might have gotten lost in the noise.  If we're going to have an omnibus thread, I don't think it should combine the two.  I'd prefer to have "VP leaks, tips, and news" separate from "VP wild speculation and wish list".  Though if you want to have an omnibus thread for one or both of those and/or sticky one or both of those, I'd be all for it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 11:01:59 AM »

My only problem with an "official Romney VP thread" is that ~90% of the commentary is people's idle speculation about who they think Romney *should* pick and what the criteria should be, etc., without any connection to what's being reported in the news.  When we do get these news stories on what the campaign is doing or who's denying interest, etc., then it'll tend to get drowned out by the idle speculation, and/or people will get confused between what's being reported from news websites and what's just speculation.  If these news bits:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=153558.0

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=153778.0

had been dropped into an omnibus thread which was mostly about speculation, then they might have gotten lost in the noise.  If we're going to have an omnibus thread, I don't think it should combine the two.  I'd prefer to have "VP leaks, tips, and news" separate from "VP wild speculation and wish list".  Though if you want to have an omnibus thread for one or both of those and/or sticky one or both of those, I'd be all for it.

That's not a bad idea.

I make a motion of making two threads "Leaks and News" and "Speculation" and stickying both threads.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 07:46:25 PM »

Nobody should take you seriously that this is the official Romney VP thread when you derisively refer to Romney as Mittbot.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 07:59:28 PM »

Nobody should take you seriously that this is the official Romney VP thread when you derisively refer to Romney as Mittbot.

And where were you, when Santorum was refereed to as Frothy? So much for your supposed distaste toward "derisively referring".
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 08:04:19 PM »

And where were you, when Santorum was refereed to as Frothy? So much for your supposed distaste toward "derisively referring".

Well, Mr. Kalwejt, I never, ever, at all, referred to Santorum as Frothy.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 08:06:37 PM »

Good for you, Mr. Winfield. After all, world doesn't exist outside of Mitt Romney.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 08:22:13 PM »

Good for you, Mr. Winfield. After all, world doesn't exist outside of Mitt Romney.

Mr. Kalwejt, I really do not understand your rather heated denunciation of myself. 
milhouse24
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 08:34:35 PM »

Is there any evidence that Burr is interested, or even that Romney is interested in Burr? 

Not a bad choice, but strange that there's no increased exposure from Burr. 
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 04:13:29 AM »

Mr. Kalwejt, I really do not understand your rather heated denunciation of myself. 
He's saying that others did and you didn't react in this way, and that you therefore have a bias toward Mitt Romney.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 04:43:00 AM »

Is there any evidence that Burr is interested, or even that Romney is interested in Burr? 

Not a bad choice, but strange that there's no increased exposure from Burr. 

Burr would make a lot of sense I guess:

* He's a white man from the South, while Romney is from MA

* He's from an important swing state that would become lean-Romney due to the VP effect

* He's not a governor, but also contrary to Rubio, longer in the US Senate and therefore knows the members well and how the system in DC works -> good for pushing Romney policies if he's elected

* He has no important skeletons in the closet (maybe his vote for DADT repeal, but considering Obama supports gay marriage now, this might even be reason for some voters who don't like Obama, but care for moderate gay rights reforms to back Romney/Burr).

* Otherwise he's pretty conservative and not old
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 08:10:46 PM »

He's saying that others did and you didn't react in this way, and that you therefore have a bias toward Mitt Romney.

Well, excuse me, but if I were to respond to all the criticisms flying around on this forum I would have to spend 24 hours a day reading every ridiculous statement posted and I have much better things to do with my time. 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 10:07:17 PM »

Sorry, this is a fail of a VP thread, as about 75% of it is about some argument over the term "Mittbott".  I'm going to lock this one and start the We're Really Serious This Time, Official Romney VP Threads.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies