PPP Maryland Poll: Obama up 23 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:48:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  PPP Maryland Poll: Obama up 23 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PPP Maryland Poll: Obama up 23  (Read 5130 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: May 27, 2012, 05:30:38 PM »

Maryland is solid D at this point. Republicans haven't carried Maryland since the 1988 Presidential Election of George H.W. Bush. It was one of Bill Clinton's best states in both of his Presidential Election Wins. It was also one of Jimmy Carter's 6 states that he carried in the 1980 Presidential Election when he lost to Reagan.

"at this point"...?  Maryland's been a solid D for decades.  The recent demographic landslide that has hit the state cements that.  People forget that Maryland's the fourth blackest state in the country.  Maryland is 43% VAP minority the vast majority of which is blacks.  Interestingly the white population of Maryland has grown very conservative.  McCain won Maryland whites by 2% and I bet Bush won them by 6 or 7 in 2004

I wouldn't say McCain winning whites by 2% in Maryland when he won whites by 12% nationwide = very conservative.

Now, the rural less educated whites in western MD and along the eastern shore would fit that bill, the suburban well educated whites, not so much....

I also find that surprising considering that the majority of white voters in the the Washington suburb's tilt heavily Democratic. I.e just look at the results in places like Rockville, Chevy Chase, and Columbia if you want to see an indication of that.

I can't really say for Baltimore suburbs which share similar demographics, which is more split but the Democrat's have an edge amongst white voters there too.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies