Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2014, 12:05:03 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Economics (Moderator: ag)
| | |-+  May 2012 Jobs Report
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: May 2012 Jobs Report  (Read 1605 times)
Christmas Bushie 2014
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2012, 01:05:29 pm »
Ignore

When are the numbers going to be released for May?  Friday, June 1 or June 8?  I can't find it online.

My earlier comment notwithstanding, I do think that the site would be better off if Inks left his position. (The fact that the village idiot has dropped in to express his support for him only confirms this.)
Bacon King
Moderators
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 01:11:32 pm »
Ignore

June 1, 8:30 AM EST

BK without all the crazy drugs just wouldn't be BK.
Christmas Bushie 2014
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 01:22:26 pm »
Ignore

Thanks!  Do you have a URL where I can find that?

My earlier comment notwithstanding, I do think that the site would be better off if Inks left his position. (The fact that the village idiot has dropped in to express his support for him only confirms this.)
Bacon King
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 03:44:38 am »
Ignore

bls.gov/ces

Christmas Bushie 2014
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 08:45:27 am »
Ignore

bls.gov/ces

Thanks!

Christmas Bushie 2014
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 06:13:06 pm »
Ignore

We are about 13 hours from the numbers being released?  What are we expecting for the month of May 2012?

greenforest32
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 09:50:27 am »
Ignore

Seems like it'd be easier to have a single megathread for these monthly job reports Tongue

Numbers released today: http://www.cnbc.com/id/47643788

May 2012:
+69,000 jobs
April 2012 revised down from +115,000 to +77,000
March 2012 revised down from +154,000 to +143,000
U-3 unemployment +0.1 (rises to 8.2% from 8.1% in April 2012)
U-6 unemployment +0.3 (rises to 14.8% from 14.5% in April 2012)
Labor force participation rate +0.2 (rises to 63.8% from 63.6% in April 2012)
oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 10:05:38 am »
Ignore

Unambiguously awful numbers, and everyone should panic a little.

Obviously now is the perfect time for another debt limit fiasco!

Bacon King
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 10:19:21 am »
Ignore

Ouch.

oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 10:32:34 am »
Ignore

At least this will spur Congress to pass further economic stimulus like any high school economics textbook teaches, right? Right?

Christmas Bushie 2014
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 11:12:25 am »
Ignore

With the May jobs report looking puny and with March and April now considerably worse than they were originally, this is definitely not good news for President Obama or Senate Democrats.  I've got a feeling somewhere in New England, Winfield is jumping up and down with this jobs report.  I've also got a feeling we may be staring at the final 7 1/2 months of the Obama Presidency.

Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 11:12:37 am »
Ignore

At least this will spur Congress to pass further economic stimulus like any high school economics textbook teaches, right? Right?

How much debt do you think the US  can stand to accrue trying to prime the "unprimeable" pump, doing the same thing that really didn't do much before?  Macroeconomics sucks. So many have an opinion about something so few understand, to the extent it is even understandable.  Heck even the gurus are confused. Sometimes you just don't get the behavior changes that you expect.

Deliverance
Angry_Weasel
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 11:17:57 am »
Ignore

Could it just be that people are just unreliable instead of there being too few resources or too many barriers of entry or trade constraints?

This could simply be a coordinated cartel of super wealthy employers who have conspired to put someone who will "play ball" in the White House...think of it as a Billionaires' Strike against the Obama and the Democrats.

Then again, it could simply be an issue that we have no one to sell stuff too because everyone else in the world has run out of money. Then again, this wouldn't be an issue if we started reining in free trade.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 11:20:19 am by Steve French »Logged

"Making Congress Squeal!"- Sen. Joni Ernst (R-IA)
the result is a sense that we were told to attend a lavish dinner party that was going to be wonderful and by the time we got there, all the lobster and steak had been eaten, a fight had broken out, the police had been called and all that was left was warm beer and chips.
oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 11:58:02 am »
Ignore

Maybe Obama should propose a >$1 trillion dollar giant laser that will zap illegal immigrants as they cross the border. This form of stimulus might actually pass the House.

CARLHAYDEN
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 12:04:48 pm »
Ignore

Ouch.

Core 25-54 Employment Rates Still Near Historic Lows
By DAVID HOGBERG, INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY

The unemployment rate rose slightly to 8.2% in May, holding above 8% for the 40th straight month, the Labor Department reported Friday.

http://news.investors.com/article/613346/201206010854/working-age-employment-rates-near-historic-lows.htm

Registered in Arizona for Fantasy election purposes.
Nagas
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -7.65

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 02:16:24 pm »
Ignore

There's good in the bad. Oil prices continue to fall and the falling 10-year bond rates could help spur the housing market.

Judšischen Volksfront
exnaderite
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -8.26

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 03:27:38 pm »
Ignore

There's good in the bad. Oil prices continue to fall and the falling 10-year bond rates could help spur the housing market.

But interest rates are already at rock bottom for years. If there's no Aggregate Demand, no investment will occur. The Fed can create a shock-and-awe policy by promising to do whatever it takes to create six digits of jobs for months for two years. It's heretical, but things need to be done.

TheDeadFlagBlues
YaBB God
Mexico

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 04:27:35 pm »
Ignore

How much debt do you think the US  can stand to accrue trying to prime the "unprimeable" pump, doing the same thing that really didn't do much before?  Macroeconomics sucks. So many have an opinion about something so few understand, to the extent it is even understandable.  Heck even the gurus are confused. Sometimes you just don't get the behavior changes that you expect.

The stimulus appeared to lack efficacy because at the same time the biggest measures were kicking in 2010, states were carrying out ravaging budget cuts and public employee layoffs that served to diminish its positive effects. At the same time the stimulus obviously was designed to be smaller than it should have been and lacked the most effective measures to appease Collins, Snowe and Specter. The stimulus was ineffective because it wasn't large enough and because it didn't address the state and muni budget problem properly; not because stimulus "doesn't work".

Economic score: -6.26
Social score: -7.74
oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 04:32:43 pm »
Ignore

Obviously it's not desirable for the US to keep piling on debt until the end of time, but the middle of the worst economic crisis since the Depression isn't the time to start cutting government spending.

The problem with the austerity approach is that it's never been an attempt to solve the crisis, but an attempt to use it as an excuse to slash government.

TheDeadFlagBlues
YaBB God
Mexico

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 05:17:58 pm »
Ignore

Obviously it's not desirable for the US to keep piling on debt until the end of time, but the middle of the worst economic crisis since the Depression isn't the time to start cutting government spending.

The problem with the austerity approach is that it's never been an attempt to solve the crisis, but an attempt to use it as an excuse to slash government.

I find it hilarious how some people would like the paint the picture of this debate being between people who favor racking up debt and people who are against deficits. It's almost comical how dumb that argument is.

Economic score: -6.26
Social score: -7.74
Bacon King
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 05:41:19 pm »
Ignore

Oh, wow, just noticed that labor force participation is actually up. How long has it been since that happened?

phk
phknrocket1k
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2012, 06:20:40 pm »
Ignore

Oh, wow, just noticed that labor force participation is actually up. How long has it been since that happened?

Baby boomers retiring and Gen Y not jumping in at the rate 18-29's used to is depressing the rate.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 06:22:54 pm by phk »Logged

oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 07:05:00 pm »
Ignore

Maybe this will force the Fed to actually do something to address the jobs situation.

Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2012, 07:44:19 pm »
Ignore

Oh Oakvale, you're such an optimist.

Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2012, 08:28:25 pm »
Ignore

The stimulus appeared to lack efficacy because at the same time the biggest measures were kicking in 2010, states were carrying out ravaging budget cuts and public employee layoffs that served to diminish its positive effects. At the same time the stimulus obviously was designed to be smaller than it should have been and lacked the most effective measures to appease Collins, Snowe and Specter. The stimulus was ineffective because it wasn't large enough and because it didn't address the state and muni budget problem properly; not because stimulus "doesn't work".

Well I admire your confidence at least. The downside, is that the first step to knowledge is awareness of one's own ignorance. I have at least got to step one. Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout