Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:55:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 37
Author Topic: Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014  (Read 146364 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2013, 04:57:36 AM »

Even if the vote fails, having 40+% of the electorate saying they want to be independent is a major headache for Westminster. Part of the reason I’m voting Yes is because the No’s haven’t outlined what further powers they would give Scotland if the vote fails. I know what independence is and what it means but I don’t know what happens afterwards if we vote No on the pretence that we get more powers if we do. I have a feeling we will be left wanting. Either way, the SNP will likely win again in 2016 anyway so a further vote down the line is a possibility.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #126 on: April 24, 2013, 06:08:42 AM »

That's a very opptimistic estimate.

fondue_knight
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #127 on: April 24, 2013, 04:37:39 PM »

I know what independence is and what it means

Really? So what currency are you guys going to be using? Still planning on sharing the pound sterling with us?

Will you remain in the EU? Or is the EU still refusing?
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #128 on: April 24, 2013, 04:52:14 PM »

I'm sad to see support for independence so low. When I was 13/14 I first heard about the scottish independence issue and I became very strongly for it because of the fact that I was veru much into "claiming" my scottish ancestry at that point. Like most white Americans my actual ethnic background is all over Europe, but Scottish is the most clearly traceable part and my last name is clearly scottish. Also like most white Americans, I was very interested in finding an ethnic identity that wasn't "white american".

Anyway, I guess I still support it now, partly because the idea of a more progressive independent Scotland and partly just for no real reason other than "it'd be cool/interesting".

Also, I don't think the comparison to Quebec is a good one. Its become a common meme now but the situations are so vastly different.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #129 on: April 24, 2013, 05:11:43 PM »

Indeed, the Québécois were actually oppressed once.

Grin
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #130 on: April 24, 2013, 10:36:34 PM »

Also, I don't think the comparison to Quebec is a good one. Its become a common meme now but the situations are so vastly different.

Indeed, I can actually understand the Quebecois accent Cheesy
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #131 on: April 24, 2013, 10:37:48 PM »

Indeed, I can actually understand the Quebecois accent Cheesy

Our accent isn't so bad (well, except in a few very rural areas, but even I have difficulties, so...).
Siloch
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #132 on: April 25, 2013, 05:47:54 PM »

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM !

Nobody did it yet so I thought I would Tongue
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #133 on: April 25, 2013, 05:48:44 PM »

Do that again and you're banned from the forum.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2013, 11:40:17 AM »

Indeed, the Québécois were actually oppressed once.

Grin
As opposed to Scotland which was oppressed twice?
Siloch
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #135 on: May 03, 2013, 09:44:01 AM »

FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2013, 04:23:24 PM »

FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't antagonize Al in that way if I were you...
Besides, as a Scottish person, shouldn't you detest that horrible exscuse of utter historicly-incorrect Mel Gibson narcissistic garbage? Tongue
Siloch
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #137 on: May 04, 2013, 04:36:48 AM »

I wouldn't antagonize Al in that way if I were you...
Besides, as a Scottish person, shouldn't you detest that horrible exscuse of utter historicly-incorrect Mel Gibson narcissistic garbage? Tongue

He bans me, he bans me. It's not a big deal lol. Braveheart is a good film, inaccurate yes but it is well liked in Scotland. If I get banned for saying FREEEEDOM then it says more about him than me. Mel Gibson films are awesome - Braveheart, Mad Max, Lethal Weapon, Patriot, Apocalpto etc all great.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #138 on: May 04, 2013, 02:40:26 PM »

He can't actually ban you, of course.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #139 on: May 04, 2013, 03:35:59 PM »

Please don't make me ashamed to be Scottish on this board Smiley It's bad enough having to share...
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #140 on: September 18, 2013, 03:40:03 AM »

One year to go.
fondue_knight
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #141 on: September 23, 2013, 03:19:18 PM »

Do you know what currency you'll be using yet or whether you'll be allowed to remain in the EU?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #142 on: September 23, 2013, 03:41:47 PM »

Do you know what currency you'll be using yet or whether you'll be allowed to remain in the EU?

The No campaign would have you think that we won't even know what plug sockets we would use Grin Scotland would use the Pound because that was our currency before the union (and was always based against the English pound) The chances are we would use it again and it would initially operate similar to how the Irish Pound did until 1979. Whether we would join the EU? Who knows.
fondue_knight
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #143 on: September 25, 2013, 04:56:13 PM »

It all seems as though nobody knows what currency Scotland would use in fact. I wanted to link to an article stating this, but it seems I don't have enough posts.

It's alright if you support independence, but to say that you can know what independence means is quite risible.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #144 on: September 26, 2013, 03:28:43 AM »

I'm sure you can find such articles, but the claim is (for the short run) factually incorrect.

Whether the Irish situation pre 79 is desirable for Scotland... that is quite another question.

As to the EU - joining won't take a 'membership process' a la East Europe (since Scottish law obviously already fulfills the criteria), and the concept of some nonbritish government vetoing Scottish membership - also raised in the English press, of course - is exceedingly farfetched.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #145 on: November 26, 2013, 11:16:06 PM »

Now we have a clearer picture of what an independent Scotland would look like:

Independent Scotland would keep the pound and the queen, says Salmond

BY BELINDA GOLDSMITH
GLASGOW, Scotland
Tue Nov 26, 2013

(Reuters) - An independent Scotland would keep the British pound, the queen and remain in the European Union but have its own defense force and collect its own taxes, First Minister Alex Salmond said on Tuesday.

In a 670-page blueprint aimed at convincing Scots they should vote on September 18 next year to end a 306-year union with England, Salmond said there would be no need to increase taxes if Scotland broke away.

With separatists lagging in opinion polls, his Scottish National Party is hoping the blueprint will win over the many skeptics, answering questions his Scottish National Party (SNP) has been accused of dodging.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #146 on: November 26, 2013, 11:24:17 PM »

Ugh.

Either be independent or don't.

All this half way crap is annoying.

If you're going to be independent, have your own damn head of state. Have your own money.

If you're going to be part of the UK, no more devolution of powers. It's already devolved to a ridiculous extent as it is.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #147 on: November 27, 2013, 01:22:12 AM »

Ugh.

If you're going to be independent, have your own damn head of state. Have your own money.

If you're going to be part of the UK, no more devolution of powers. It's already devolved to a ridiculous extent as it is.

It's not as if Scotland can force England to give up Elizabeth.  Of course if Charles is on the throne by then, both might be trying to stick the other with him.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #148 on: November 27, 2013, 03:08:04 AM »

No need. The Queen is queen of sixteen different independent countries
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #149 on: November 27, 2013, 07:04:29 AM »

Ugh.

Spurious dethronement of the Stewarts aside, the monarch is the monarch of Scotland as both the Kingdoms of Scotland and England share the same lineage. It makes sense to retain that status quo.

Secondly, the Pound has been the currency of Scotland since the 12th Century. In 1603 it was set at a consistant exchange rate with the Pound Sterling and consumed within the Pound Sterling by the Act of Union in 1707. Retaining the currency tied with the Sterling makes perfect ecnomic sense immediately post independence. The Irish Pound was fixed to the Sterling from 1928 to 1979. No one is saying that the Scottish Pound would last that long given the inevitability of the Euro but it's not a stupid idea.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies