Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 08:58:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 37
Author Topic: Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014  (Read 144164 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2012, 01:19:34 PM »

Quick ?, do you think the Olympics has had any influence on this at all?  Is the Union Jack or more feelings of "Britishness" gaining any traction among some?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »

Quick ?, do you think the Olympics has had any influence on this at all?  Is the Union Jack or more feelings of "Britishness" gaining any traction among some?

It's kind of late, but I've only just seen the relevant poll: http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/scottish-independence-rivals-quick-off-blocks-to-claim-olympic-gains-1-2464425

Basically it will have no effect whatsoever, especially because the referendum is another 2 years away, by which time everyone will have forgotten about the olympics. But I think it does show that even if Scotland won the world cup, or Britain swept every medal at the athletic world championships there would be little effect on the vote, because sport doesn''t really matter when it comes to politics in the UK.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2012, 11:09:21 AM »

It's kind of late, but I've only just seen the relevant poll: http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/scottish-independence-rivals-quick-off-blocks-to-claim-olympic-gains-1-2464425

Basically it will have no effect whatsoever, especially because the referendum is another 2 years away, by which time everyone will have forgotten about the olympics. But I think it does show that even if Scotland won the world cup, or Britain swept every medal at the athletic world championships there would be little effect on the vote, because sport doesn''t really matter when it comes to politics in the UK.

This. Though it is worth noting that the vote will be held shortly after the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow so it would be interesting then to compare and contrast.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2012, 12:49:11 AM »

The Orange Order (NI) want to vote; and Salmond concedes the devo-max option.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2012/0926/1224324424243.html

Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2012, 12:56:38 PM »

Not much of a concession! The only winnable option for his party, and it's certainly a win (more control, but without having to fart around with the ins and outs of the implications of independence) and I've no doubt they'll get it. Even if they didn't, the SNP aren't going anywhere whilst the main three unionist parties try and outdo each other in who can offer the most repelling platform (it's absolutely stunning to see Lamont's "solution" to Labour's fortunes).
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2012, 07:46:13 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-19942638

The deal is struck. Let the shouting begin.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2012, 08:09:14 AM »

Well, that seems okay.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2012, 10:16:28 AM »

Would a 50% vote be sufficient for independence?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2012, 01:43:46 PM »

Would a 50% vote be sufficient for independence?
You know, I've been trying to find the answer to that. What they actually agreed is...

You must be logged in to read this quote.
So in principle, that would be up to the Scottish Parliament to decide. Though the language in points three and four of the first list makes me wonder whether there's some unwritten part of the agreement on that issue.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2012, 01:47:06 PM »

Interesting that there's no devo-max option; I felt sure there would be. Can't help but think the nationalists have no chance on a straight independence question.
countydurhamboy
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2012, 02:53:24 PM »

The last poll I saw had support for independence at 27% I think even for Salmond this is a bridge to far... However you wonder what effect Glasgow's Commonwealth Games might have as Scotland competes separately.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2012, 08:50:16 AM »

What are Rangers supporters going to do with all the union jacks in Ibrox now?

Now this referendum is very vauge, what sort of independence are we talking about? Will the queen still be the de jure head of state as in canada? Is a 50.01% sufficient for independence? What of British military installations (nuclear submarines port) and other British government/royal assests in Scotland? And other numerous questions. As a Scottish friend of mind told me "we don't know what we're voting for and no cares to explain"
Gary J
United Kingdom
« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2012, 09:41:02 AM »

A yes vote for independence, would give the Scottish government a mandate to negotiate the terms for disunion. I would have thought the financial terms would be as contentious as those negotiated at the time of the Treaty of Union.
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2012, 03:57:54 PM »

And what would the remaining United Kingdom be called afterwards, that's what I want to know.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2012, 05:27:03 PM »

And what would the remaining United Kingdom be called afterwards, that's what I want to know.

The United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2012, 03:53:18 AM »

"United Kingdom of South Britain and Northeast Ulster". Grin
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2012, 05:41:03 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2012, 12:22:32 PM by politicus »

Not logical. Wales is a principality and Ulster is only an earldom.
Since the territory of England and Wales is (almost) identical to the Roman province of Britannia they could just call it Britannia (the six Ulster counties would be too small a part of the new state to matter much).
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2012, 08:29:55 PM »

Great Britain works fine.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2012, 01:25:49 AM »

Alongside a united Ireland, presumably.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2012, 07:36:38 AM »

If Scotland does get independence, then historical titles will be the last thing on the rest of the UK's mind. I'd assume Westminster will be trying desperately to preserve some sort of continuity, so I expect them to plump for the United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland. For the same reason I don't think we'll be seeing any changes to the flag.
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2012, 11:38:36 AM »

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2012, 04:51:52 AM »

Since the territory of England and Wales is (almost) identical to the Roman province of Britannia they could just call it Britannia (the six Ulster counties would be too small a part of the new state to matter much).

They would be a larger part of the new state than the current one.

In all seriousness, the name would almost certainly not be changed. Though I guess they should drop the "Great".
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2012, 01:10:25 PM »

They would be a larger part of the new state than the current one.

In all seriousness, the name would almost certainly not be changed. Though I guess they should drop the "Great".

Thats obviously true. By small I meant insignificant. A UK without Scotland would essentially be "Greater England" and in that sense NI would be even more insignificant/irrelevant than it is today.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2013, 11:24:48 AM »

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-oil-benefit-overstated-says-danny-alexander-1-2720955

'THE financial benefit of oil to an independent Scotland is being overstated, according to a senior UK Government minister.

Relying on a comparatively good annual figure to show that oil could make people £500 richer is “misleading”, Chief Treasury Secretary Danny Alexander said.

Taking an average over the 12 years of devolution wipes that figure out - but would leave Scots just £1 out of pocket each year instead, he said.'

---

Yes, you heard it. A whole £1 a year worse off. May as well not hold the vote now Sad
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2013, 11:45:29 AM »

Am I the only one seeing a degree of genius in this whole vote, by putting the vote in 2014 they ensure the government in London will play nice to Scotland, and not attempt to limit the local autonomy. So even if they lose they will have gotten several years of peace from Loondon, and the crisis may be less bad in 2014, so the risk that London will cut inn Scottish autonomy or budgets afterward will be a lot smaller.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies