Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2014, 10:02:12 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  International Elections (Moderator: Hashemite)
| | |-+  Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 37 Print
Author Topic: Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014  (Read 51922 times)
afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -8.17

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2012, 06:07:05 am »
Ignore

I hope Al won't object to this going up early, however today the 'Yes' campaign launched;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-18162832

One fun facts (or why oil still matters :p) to pad it out.

Scotland's GDP 2010/11 (£millions)

Excluding North Sea Oil - 119,149
Including Per Capita Share (Scotland's entitlement as % of UK) - 121,732
Including Geographical Share - 144,820

From The Grauniad
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 05:57:28 am by afleitch »Logged
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 09:22:55 am »
Ignore

Best of luck!

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 01:12:28 pm »
Ignore

It's going to be a ridiculously long campaign, so it makes sense to have a thread early, yeah.

On the subject of the launch, though I might be completely wrong about this is it really such a clever idea to kick off a campaign on an issue like this with glitzy parade in the company of a gaggle of Professional Scotsmen Who Now Live Abroad Because Taxes Are Lower There? I would tend to suggest that appeals to post-imperial Scottish civic nationalism and to specific grievances (whether 'accurate' or not) would be more effective than saccharine platitudes.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 04:20:54 pm »
Ignore

It's going to be a ridiculously long campaign, so it makes sense to have a thread early, yeah.

On the subject of the launch, though I might be completely wrong about this is it really such a clever idea to kick off a campaign on an issue like this with glitzy parade in the company of a gaggle of Professional Scotsmen Who Now Live Abroad Because Taxes Are Lower There? I would tend to suggest that appeals to post-imperial Scottish civic nationalism and to specific grievances (whether 'accurate' or not) would be more effective than saccharine platitudes.

I think for a launch it went off okay. The idea was to ensure that it didn't look like a Salmond-centric event. Patrick Harvie has been pressing the flesh on the national media for example and I expect Margo (health permitting) and Canavan to do likewise. It came off quite fresh and most importantly, neutral. It will always be the easist launch of the two campaigns and it will be interesting to see what a Labour-Tory-Lib Dem campaign launch will look like (because it has to be co-ordinated). It can't be 'London' driven, it can't be too Scottish Establishment either.

If it can get people signed up and get donations rolling in then it's a sucess. It was always going to be crafted as an underdog campaign; it's what Salmond thrives on. If it can be seen as a groundwell of public support, even if it's feigned it will do very well against a party-political-business campaign from the pro-union side.
You kip if you want to...
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 04:48:14 pm »
Ignore

Just seen the coverage of the Yes event on News at 10.

Eugh, smug First Minister is smug.

Jbrase
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.32, S: -5.74

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 01:32:56 am »
Ignore

Best of luck!

^^^^^

I think you Scottish should center your campaign on British History with emphasis on the imperialism years, that will undoubtedly win the yes campaign votes Tongue 

Lol at those who think Barrow will lose.
Are they trying to fit in as many junk polls before Tuesday as possible?
Glorious news! even Quinnijunk can't get condom hater outside the margin of error, Udall is on track to deliver a good whipping[/q
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 01:35:40 am »
Ignore

Of course, Scotland was no less imperialist than England.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Senator bore
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 03:32:31 am »
Ignore

Of course, Scotland was no less imperialist than England.

Exactly, there is a reason Glasgow was known as the second city of the British empire.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 03:45:03 am by bore »Logged
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 03:36:59 am »
Ignore

Best of luck!

^^^^^

I think you Scottish should center your campaign on British History with emphasis on the imperialism years, that will undoubtedly win the yes campaign votes Tongue 
Scotland mainly joined England in 1707 because the Scottish elite could see, that the English had a good thing going with their emerging world empire and wanted in on it. The Scottish participation in all things imperial was generally much bigger than their share of the British population and the independence movement didnt really develop until the Empire was gone. One interpretation of modern Scottish nationalism is, that once the Empire was gone the Scots lost their main reason to stay in the union.

Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 03:53:02 pm »
Ignore

So, the referendum is set for 2014, or is this just talk?

I would love to see Scotland go independent and join the Nordosphere.

Free Bradley Manning
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 04:36:14 pm »
Ignore

Lookin' good for the Unionists so far. Sock it to Salmond.

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  » - Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 06:34:30 pm »
Ignore

Yeah, I'm a fan of independent countries actually being...you know...independent.

Waiting for the heads to explode...

Never any doubt.
Lief
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 06:39:59 pm »
Ignore

As someone who would like for Labour to one day win an election again, I oppose this.

Thank you, Mr. President.
You kip if you want to...
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 07:02:28 pm »
Ignore

Yeah, I'm a fan of independent countries actually being...you know...independent.

You clearly understand this issue.

Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 07:19:21 pm »
Ignore

If Cameron wants Scotland to stay in the union, he should publicly endorse independence.
afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 08:45:44 am »
Ignore

Just to note, I have signed up for the 'Yes' campaign. Long winded explanation to follow...
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 08:51:08 am »
Ignore

Just to note, I have signed up for the 'Yes' campaign. Long winded explanation to follow...
FF

wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

Political Matrix
E: 4.52, S: -1.57

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2012, 09:49:27 am »
Ignore

If I were Cameron I'd go camping out in Scotland, visiting as many places as possible in support of "no," maybe drag Clegg up with me and Thatcher too if she still has enough wits with her.
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 09:53:15 am »
Ignore

If I were Cameron I'd go camping out in Scotland, visiting as many places as possible in support of "no," maybe drag Clegg up with me and Thatcher too if she still has enough wits with her.
English Tories campaigning would be poison for the Scottish unionist side. And Thatcher was hated in Scotland and still is by many.

wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2012, 10:03:51 am »
Ignore

English Tories campaigning would be poison for the Scottish unionist side. And Thatcher was hated in Scotland and still is by many.

(That's the point...)
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2012, 10:07:36 am »
Ignore

Most politicians, even most Tory politicians, aren't nearly that sociopathic.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2012, 10:10:59 am »
Ignore

(That's the point...)
OK, but not that clear since you are a conservative yourself. Using a smiley or three ... afterwards would be helpful when you are being sarcastic about your own side. Otherwise it just looks like ignorance.

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2012, 10:12:45 am »
Ignore

(That's the point...)
OK, but not that clear since you are a conservative yourself. Using a smiley or three ... afterwards would be helpful when you are being sarcastic about your own side. Otherwise it just looks like ignorance.

He's not joking...He's saying that the Tories would love for Scotland to secede because it would give them a near-permanent majority in Parliament.

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 10:17:17 am »
Ignore

(That's the point...)

He's not joking...He's saying that the Tories would love for Scotland to secede because it would give them a near-permanent majority in Parliament.

Not that they would love that... they should.  (I'm also actually skeptical of all "permanent majority" hypotheses, I suspect English Labour would shift rightwards enough to make it marginal again, but there might be a "permanent majority" for an election or two before they do so.).
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 10:17:58 am »
Ignore

(That's the point...)

Thats true. But it shows that you Americans dont really understand British Tories. Supporting unionism is part of their core identity and only a few extremists would want to see Scotland go.
Its still called the Conservative and Unionist Party after all Smiley

Edit: Okay I see that Wormguy got it. Just Mikados interpretation that was wrong.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 10:20:32 am by fascistbeijingregime »Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 37 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout