Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:50:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 37
Author Topic: Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014  (Read 144182 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2012, 06:07:05 AM »
« edited: August 29, 2014, 05:57:28 AM by afleitch »

I hope Al won't object to this going up early, however today the 'Yes' campaign launched;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-18162832

One fun facts (or why oil still matters Tongue) to pad it out.

Scotland's GDP 2010/11 (£millions)

Excluding North Sea Oil - 119,149
Including Per Capita Share (Scotland's entitlement as % of UK) - 121,732
Including Geographical Share - 144,820

From The Grauniad
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 09:22:55 AM »

Best of luck!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 01:12:28 PM »

It's going to be a ridiculously long campaign, so it makes sense to have a thread early, yeah.

On the subject of the launch, though I might be completely wrong about this is it really such a clever idea to kick off a campaign on an issue like this with glitzy parade in the company of a gaggle of Professional Scotsmen Who Now Live Abroad Because Taxes Are Lower There? I would tend to suggest that appeals to post-imperial Scottish civic nationalism and to specific grievances (whether 'accurate' or not) would be more effective than saccharine platitudes.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 04:20:54 PM »

It's going to be a ridiculously long campaign, so it makes sense to have a thread early, yeah.

On the subject of the launch, though I might be completely wrong about this is it really such a clever idea to kick off a campaign on an issue like this with glitzy parade in the company of a gaggle of Professional Scotsmen Who Now Live Abroad Because Taxes Are Lower There? I would tend to suggest that appeals to post-imperial Scottish civic nationalism and to specific grievances (whether 'accurate' or not) would be more effective than saccharine platitudes.

I think for a launch it went off okay. The idea was to ensure that it didn't look like a Salmond-centric event. Patrick Harvie has been pressing the flesh on the national media for example and I expect Margo (health permitting) and Canavan to do likewise. It came off quite fresh and most importantly, neutral. It will always be the easist launch of the two campaigns and it will be interesting to see what a Labour-Tory-Lib Dem campaign launch will look like (because it has to be co-ordinated). It can't be 'London' driven, it can't be too Scottish Establishment either.

If it can get people signed up and get donations rolling in then it's a sucess. It was always going to be crafted as an underdog campaign; it's what Salmond thrives on. If it can be seen as a groundwell of public support, even if it's feigned it will do very well against a party-political-business campaign from the pro-union side.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 04:48:14 PM »

Just seen the coverage of the Yes event on News at 10.

Eugh, smug First Minister is smug.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 01:32:56 AM »

^^^^^

I think you Scottish should center your campaign on British History with emphasis on the imperialism years, that will undoubtedly win the yes campaign votes Tongue 
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 01:35:40 AM »

Of course, Scotland was no less imperialist than England.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 03:32:31 AM »
« Edited: May 26, 2012, 03:45:03 AM by bore »

Of course, Scotland was no less imperialist than England.

Exactly, there is a reason Glasgow was known as the second city of the British empire.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 03:36:59 AM »

^^^^^

I think you Scottish should center your campaign on British History with emphasis on the imperialism years, that will undoubtedly win the yes campaign votes Tongue 
Scotland mainly joined England in 1707 because the Scottish elite could see, that the English had a good thing going with their emerging world empire and wanted in on it. The Scottish participation in all things imperial was generally much bigger than their share of the British population and the independence movement didnt really develop until the Empire was gone. One interpretation of modern Scottish nationalism is, that once the Empire was gone the Scots lost their main reason to stay in the union.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 03:53:02 PM »

So, the referendum is set for 2014, or is this just talk?

I would love to see Scotland go independent and join the Nordosphere.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 04:36:14 PM »

Lookin' good for the Unionists so far. Sock it to Salmond.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 06:34:30 PM »

Yeah, I'm a fan of independent countries actually being...you know...independent.

Waiting for the heads to explode...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 06:39:59 PM »

As someone who would like for Labour to one day win an election again, I oppose this.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 07:02:28 PM »

Yeah, I'm a fan of independent countries actually being...you know...independent.

You clearly understand this issue.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 07:19:21 PM »

If Cameron wants Scotland to stay in the union, he should publicly endorse independence.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 08:45:44 AM »

Just to note, I have signed up for the 'Yes' campaign. Long winded explanation to follow...
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 08:51:08 AM »

Just to note, I have signed up for the 'Yes' campaign. Long winded explanation to follow...
FF
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2012, 09:49:27 AM »

If I were Cameron I'd go camping out in Scotland, visiting as many places as possible in support of "no," maybe drag Clegg up with me and Thatcher too if she still has enough wits with her.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 09:53:15 AM »

If I were Cameron I'd go camping out in Scotland, visiting as many places as possible in support of "no," maybe drag Clegg up with me and Thatcher too if she still has enough wits with her.
English Tories campaigning would be poison for the Scottish unionist side. And Thatcher was hated in Scotland and still is by many.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2012, 10:03:51 AM »

English Tories campaigning would be poison for the Scottish unionist side. And Thatcher was hated in Scotland and still is by many.

(That's the point...)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2012, 10:07:36 AM »

Most politicians, even most Tory politicians, aren't nearly that sociopathic.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2012, 10:10:59 AM »

(That's the point...)
OK, but not that clear since you are a conservative yourself. Using a smiley or three ... afterwards would be helpful when you are being sarcastic about your own side. Otherwise it just looks like ignorance.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2012, 10:12:45 AM »

(That's the point...)
OK, but not that clear since you are a conservative yourself. Using a smiley or three ... afterwards would be helpful when you are being sarcastic about your own side. Otherwise it just looks like ignorance.

He's not joking...He's saying that the Tories would love for Scotland to secede because it would give them a near-permanent majority in Parliament.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 10:17:17 AM »

(That's the point...)

He's not joking...He's saying that the Tories would love for Scotland to secede because it would give them a near-permanent majority in Parliament.

Not that they would love that... they should.  (I'm also actually skeptical of all "permanent majority" hypotheses, I suspect English Labour would shift rightwards enough to make it marginal again, but there might be a "permanent majority" for an election or two before they do so.).
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 10:17:58 AM »
« Edited: May 28, 2012, 10:20:32 AM by fascistbeijingregime »

(That's the point...)

Thats true. But it shows that you Americans dont really understand British Tories. Supporting unionism is part of their core identity and only a few extremists would want to see Scotland go.
Its still called the Conservative and Unionist Party after all Smiley

Edit: Okay I see that Wormguy got it. Just Mikados interpretation that was wrong.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies