Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:30:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 37
Author Topic: Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014  (Read 145579 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: September 13, 2014, 02:43:19 PM »

So after the polls of just the last couple of days alone we can all happily pick our own realities. Isn't that fun.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #651 on: September 13, 2014, 03:09:18 PM »

So, does "expected declaration time" mean that each council area will be announced all at once, like the constituencies in Parliamentary elections?

Yes.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Some of these councils cover far-flung areas (Highland alone is bigger than some EU countries) and communications can be quite poor.

There was one general election where the result from one of the island constituencies was severely delayed because the helicopter which had been chartered to bring the ballot boxes in from some of the outlying islands had to be used instead to ferry a heavily pregnant woman to hospital in Inverness.

The Edinburgh counting team faces none of these difficulties, but is still notoriously slow.

Thanks. So they physically take the ballots to be counted centrally, rather than counting at the polling stations and communicating the results to the central constituency office?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #652 on: September 13, 2014, 03:34:30 PM »

So after the polls of just the last couple of days alone we can all happily pick our own realities. Isn't that fun.

It's a big unknown. Pollsters might not get it right and they will never need to get it right again.

On that note its 50-49 No (not sure where that missing 1% goes) with Panelbase.

50.6 to 49.4
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« Reply #653 on: September 13, 2014, 05:24:19 PM »

So, does "expected declaration time" mean that each council area will be announced all at once, like the constituencies in Parliamentary elections?

Yes.

Some of these councils cover far-flung areas (Highland alone is bigger than some EU countries) and communications can be quite poor.

There was one general election where the result from one of the island constituencies was severely delayed because the helicopter which had been chartered to bring the ballot boxes in from some of the outlying islands had to be used instead to ferry a heavily pregnant woman to hospital in Inverness.

The Edinburgh counting team faces none of these difficulties, but is still notoriously slow.

Thanks. So they physically take the ballots to be counted centrally, rather than counting at the polling stations and communicating the results to the central constituency office?

Yes. This is always how it's done in Britain (and Ireland).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #654 on: September 13, 2014, 06:05:16 PM »

The most recent beheaded journalist was Scottish. He supposedly said he held Cameron responsible for his execution.
njwes
United States

« Reply #655 on: September 13, 2014, 06:08:08 PM »

The most recent beheaded journalist was Scottish. He supposedly said he held Cameron responsible for his execution.

K. So therefore Scotland should vote for independence I guess?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #656 on: September 13, 2014, 06:09:20 PM »

K. So therefore Scotland should vote for independence I guess?

I'm not saying that. Just reporting what will inevitably be a story.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #657 on: September 13, 2014, 06:12:13 PM »

Keystone Phil ---- this is about the only issue that you and I will be united on. Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #658 on: September 13, 2014, 06:19:33 PM »

Keystone Phil ---- this is about the only issue that you and I will be united on. Smiley

Common sense will do that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #659 on: September 13, 2014, 06:51:21 PM »

patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #660 on: September 13, 2014, 08:09:28 PM »

He quite obviously is not speaking of free will here. I'm sure the next victim on deck will do the same thing, hopefully he can be rescued before. 
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #661 on: September 13, 2014, 08:40:53 PM »

He quite obviously is not speaking of free will here. I'm sure the next victim on deck will do the same thing, hopefully he can be rescued before. 

Yeah, no kidding. Again, before anyone throws a tantrum, I'm simply posting what is still considered newsworthy. Unless Al, in his usual arrogant and condescending way, wants to say that this being a Scottish journalist and Cameron's reaction make this no more of a story than it already is.

Well no doubt the media will probably push an angle but I just don't see it moving anything.  Those who identify as British and Scottish will be rightfully appalled. I sure the Murdoch press will use in support to commence bombing and some, largely left. elements will be introspective on the matter.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #662 on: September 14, 2014, 01:50:12 AM »

The number of people with 'cheap-seats' views on this issue is remarkable.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #663 on: September 14, 2014, 03:44:40 AM »

In the latest blow to Scottish Independence, "Nessie" defects to England:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/11090807/Scottish-independence-now-Nessie-defects.html

Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #664 on: September 14, 2014, 04:44:00 AM »
« Edited: September 14, 2014, 04:50:39 AM by Phony Moderate »

YouGov well/badly ratings for three Westminster leaders in Scotland (these are internals, but still):

Cameron - 27/68
Miliband - 19/74
Clegg - 10/85

EDIT: Oh yes, and the internals also show a 45/48 Yes/No split.

Lurker
Norway
« Reply #665 on: September 14, 2014, 05:53:38 AM »

According to Ukpollingreport neither side has gotten a more than 54% support in any of the last 8 polls. In these polls, both sides have a ceiling of 54% and a floor of 46%. http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/8984#comments

The average of these polls is

YES: 48,6%  --------- NO: 51,4%            

Can't get much closer than this.  
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #666 on: September 14, 2014, 10:27:13 AM »

Okay, so Yes Scotland are having a hissy fit over BBC bias.

One of the truisms of British politics is that all sides think the BBC is biased towards the other side. I, personally, think the BBC's coverage has been quite balanced during the referendum.

Yes Scotland also forget they've been backed by Murdoch anyway, but selective amnesia is something that's defined their campaign, so I'm not shocked at this selective outrage.
pendragon
Rookie

« Reply #667 on: September 14, 2014, 11:20:21 AM »

YouGov well/badly ratings for three Westminster leaders in Scotland (these are internals, but still):

Cameron - 27/68
Miliband - 19/74
Clegg - 10/85

Cameron is the most popular Westminster leader in Scotland? I have to say that I'd never have predicted that...
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #668 on: September 14, 2014, 11:24:17 AM »

Cameron - 27/68
Miliband - 19/74
Clegg - 10/85

Cameron is the most popular Westminster leader in Scotland? I have to say that I'd never have predicted that...

Nah, he is the least unpopular.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #669 on: September 14, 2014, 12:19:58 PM »

Was question how well are they doing their jobs or do you like them?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #670 on: September 14, 2014, 01:52:43 PM »

Unless Al, in his usual arrogant and condescending way,

Pot, meet kettle.

Anyhoo, my reason for posting here are to say that I'm a huge believer in popular soverignty, but it's downright foolish to leave such a mammoth vastly-reaching event utterly affecting every person to a simple 50%+1 vote. The fact that such an irrevocable change of history should be potentially determined by the momentary (dis)approval of the of the PM or Home Secretary, or some non-story like this twisting the vote based on a momentary sway of fleeting opinion, or bad weather >iminishing turnout in a pro-union stronghold.

There REALLY should be some type of super-majority required; at least 60%, if not 2/3 support. Fwiw, I felt the same way about the Quebec independence referendum,  and and Southern sucession as well.

That is all.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #671 on: September 14, 2014, 02:33:19 PM »

Unless Al, in his usual arrogant and condescending way,

Pot, meet kettle.

Anyhoo, my reason for posting here are to say that I'm a huge believer in popular soverignty, but it's downright foolish to leave such a mammoth vastly-reaching event utterly affecting every person to a simple 50%+1 vote. The fact that such an irrevocable change of history should be potentially determined by the momentary (dis)approval of the of the PM or Home Secretary, or some non-story like this twisting the vote based on a momentary sway of fleeting opinion, or bad weather >iminishing turnout in a pro-union stronghold.

There REALLY should be some type of super-majority required; at least 60%, if not 2/3 support. Fwiw, I felt the same way about the Quebec independence referendum,  and and Southern sucession as well.

That is all.

Exactly, the nats love saying that the referendum shouldn't be about Salmond and Sturgeon, completely not realising that they've based a lot of their campaign on bashing Cameron (and Thatcher, of course).
EPG
« Reply #672 on: September 14, 2014, 04:11:48 PM »

The referendum is nothing to do with popular sovereignty. It is a device which will be used by Parliament to form a future decision on Scottish independence. Everyone accepted 50%+1, probably because this isn't some limit on imperfect representative democracy but a consultative exercise of everyone eligible to vote. Denying independence on, say, a 65% vote would have consequences. It's questionable to argue that a 51% victory would reflect ephemeral, transient whims, whereas a 51% slim defeat reflects earnest, longstanding consensus.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #673 on: September 14, 2014, 05:00:48 PM »

The referendum is nothing to do with popular sovereignty. It is a device which will be used by Parliament to form a future decision on Scottish independence. Everyone accepted 50%+1, probably because this isn't some limit on imperfect representative democracy but a consultative exercise of everyone eligible to vote. Denying independence on, say, a 65% vote would have consequences. It's questionable to argue that a 51% victory would reflect ephemeral, transient whims, whereas a 51% slim defeat reflects earnest, longstanding consensus.

Actually since the elderly are the most solid No voters you could argue that a small defeat is a lot more transient than a small Yes victory.
andrew_c
Canada

« Reply #674 on: September 15, 2014, 02:42:15 AM »

The referendum is all about political gain and nothing else.  If Yes wins, then the SNP would essentially become Scotland's "Natural Governing Party" by default.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies