Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:50:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014  (Read 146519 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« on: September 26, 2012, 12:49:11 AM »

The Orange Order (NI) want to vote; and Salmond concedes the devo-max option.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2012/0926/1224324424243.html

Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 08:09:04 AM »
« Edited: February 17, 2014, 08:11:08 AM by Јas »

What lessons after there, with regards to currency, in Ireland's independence in 1922?

Well we didn't get around to setting up our own currency until 1928 - and maintained the link with sterling until 1979.

For 1922-28, banknotes issued by the Bank of England, the British Treasury and six Irish banks were in circulation. Only the British Treasury notes had legal tender status. The set-up doesn't appear to have been regarded as particularly problematic or difficult.

The Irish Pound: From Origins to EMU by John Kelly is a readable, reasonably concise summary of the history of Irish currency post-independence.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 09:54:51 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2014, 09:57:11 AM by Јas »

If they continue to use sterling without a currency union then they couldn't re-join the EU as a central bank is required so that isn't an option.

Indeed they do, but if Scotland wants to join the EU I cannot use sterling without a currency union because if they do so, an independent Scotland would technically have no central bank. EU rules stipulate that member-states must have a central bank and so using sterling without a currency union is not an option if Scotland wants to successfully join the EU after voting for independence.

I have some awareness of the central bank criteria as apply to eurozone candidacy, but am unfamiliar with same with regard to EU membership.

I'd be grateful if you could help me with a citation as to where in the Copenhagen Criteria or the acquis that speaks to EU applicant states requiring a central bank (and how that is defined); and, also, grateful if you could comment on whether a central bank which elects to in effect maintain a currency union, by shadowing interest rate changes and so forth, meets the same criterion.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 01:30:20 AM »

The UK is an island unlike other EU countries minus Ireland so the Schengen agreement isn't suitable to say the least.

Why does Britain's status as an island render it particularly unsuitable to be part of Schengen?

(Also, you may have missed my earlier question on central bank rules for EU applicant states - do please respond whenever you get a chance.)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 04:04:02 PM »

The orange in Irish tricolor is rather redundant too.

I quite disagree.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 04:18:58 AM »

I suppose it would be a bit of a bugger for the town's football club (who play in the Scottish system), mind.

Shouldn't be insurmountable though...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_association_football_clubs_playing_in_the_league_of_another_country
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies