Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:36:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014  (Read 146528 times)
Cassius
YaBB God

« on: February 24, 2014, 06:07:47 PM »

So, could it be said that, perhaps, there is some kind of symbolic margin that the yes vote will have to cross in order for the referendum not to be seen as a failure for the SNP? I don't know, something like a 45 percent+ yes vote? I'm just thinking, because a relatively close result could potentially strengthen the SNP's hand if they want to devolve further powers to the Scottish Parliament. On the other hand, if the no side wins by something like 20-30 points (seems relatively unlikely at this stage, but, you never know), such a case would seem weakened. Just a thought. I mean, obviously, a no vote would be a failure for the SNP, but a close result might soften the blow quite a bit, as described above.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 01:48:43 PM »

Will we have to change our flag if Scotland does become independent? I mean, there are plenty of flags still in use that have lost some of their meaning (like the French tricolour, as the white, which used to be the colour of the monarchy, is now pretty redundant).
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 12:56:37 PM »

Kirsty needs to be fed through a mangle.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 03:17:36 PM »

It also helped, that the Scottish Stuarts had ruled Britain one century long before 1704 (as the Welsh were proud of "their" Tudors). And Scotland was incredibly poor 300 years ago, immediately benefitting economically from the union. And that in the era of "the divine David [HUME]" England was intellectually a colony of his northern neighbours.

I don't think you can say that the Stuarts were especially 'popular' in Scotland; indeed, during the reign of Charles I in particular, they were (or he was) very unpopular (mind you, he alienated just about everybody in the Three Kingdoms, but nevermind...). Even the Scottish support that they received during the Jacobite uprisings (which did form the mainstay of them to be fair) was limited geographically (largely in the areas of Scotland where Catholicism was still predominant). Indeed, during the Rising of 1745, large numbers of Scottish troops fought against the Jacobites.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 07:19:10 AM »

Yeah, this is actually insulting now. I hope there is massive backlash.

Oh come on, there's three lines about it expressing a not that unreasonable viewpoint. Over the next couple of days, its likely that this news will briefly overshadow the current furore over the referendum (and possibly give 'no' a small breathing space).
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 03:33:31 AM »

Olds are unionists, while those under 60 have swung big time for independence.

I think the word 'swung' is important here, as on the chart it can be seen that support for independence has been very volatile amongst the younger age groups, so I don't think its particularly indicative of much commitment to independence on the part of the young.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies