Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:54:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014  (Read 146547 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« on: September 06, 2014, 04:05:50 PM »
« edited: September 06, 2014, 04:07:25 PM by ilikeverin »

I'm seeing 51-49.

More reliable link.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 01:11:14 PM »

A slightly off-topic question for the Canadian posters:

What %age of Quebec voters support sovereignity now ?

It has fallen dramatically in recent years and now only about 30-35% would vote Yes in another referendum. The pro-independence Bloc Quebecois was annhilated in the last federal election going from 50 out of 75 Quebec seats in Ottawa to just 4...and then the PQ was crushed in the provincial election election this spring largely because people were afraid they would call another referendum. Its always risky to say "separatism is dead", but the conventional wisdom is that the whole Quebec independence movement is now on life support and is only a past time of an age cohort of baby boomers who associate with with their glory days in the 1970s.

Separatism was supposedly dead at certain points in the early 1990s as well.

One huge difference between the Scottish and Quebec referendums is the question wording. The Scottish wording is very direct, and makes independence clear. Quebec's question was very vague and convoluted.

Oh, I'm sure it wasn't too—

You must be logged in to read this quote.

wat
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 04:15:07 PM »

Scottish banknotes don't tend to be recognised in English shops, BTW.

Depends where you are.  Places in England where lots of Scots go, like Carlisle or Blackpool, don't have a problem with Scottish notes.  You can get away with them at most places in Greater Manchester.  London and the south, on the other hand, doesn't like Scottish notes at all.

Well, if the "no" vote wins, you guys cut that out.  Very confusing for tourists.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 09:36:35 AM »

Ed Miliband calls for locations all around England to raise the Scottish saltire in "solidarity" with Scotland.  Cameron assents and starts raising it above Downing Street.  In the first try to get it up, it falls to the ground after it gets half way up the flagpole.  Metaphor ensues?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 11:25:14 AM »

Ed Miliband calls for locations all around England to raise the Scottish saltire in "solidarity" with Scotland.  Cameron assents and starts raising it above Downing Street.  In the first try to get it up, it falls to the ground after it gets half way up the flagpole.  Metaphor ensues?

Now with video!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 02:26:51 PM »

So does that mean that this pollster is an outlier, or has the YES support peaked and is starting to collapse?

Look at what Al posted again. This poll is the same as the last one by the same company Smiley

I made the same assumption, but, no, it doesn't seem to be (note the dates: 5th-9th September).
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 08:30:28 AM »
« Edited: September 16, 2014, 08:32:30 AM by ilikeverin »

The BBC has just kind of abandoned the idea of neutrality, apparently, at least based on their reporting of the story.  (I'm not sure I understand how this undermines the Yes campaign's message, though; if Scotland were independent, they would have all the powers they need in order to fix the budget shortfall with no strings attached, wouldn't they?)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 09:39:16 PM »

Yeah, the upcoming vote had me curious as to what was being said on here, so I just finished reading though this thread for the past hour or so.  (Was off from work today and bored)

*hughughug*
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies