Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:35:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014  (Read 146466 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: August 19, 2014, 11:10:47 AM »

So seems like the No is headed to a 60/40 win. While I think this would probably be the right choice for Scotland, I must say I'm a bit disappointed, because a secession would have been really fun.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 11:29:20 AM »

Amusingly, a yes to Yes meant, that Scots were no Scots any longer, because they were not aware of their wallets...

edit by el caudillo: please post in English

http://youtu.be/ORj3wImDhLk

Hahahahaha, it never gets old. Cheesy
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 04:33:07 AM »

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Yougov is a weird pollster and a 2 point margin is statistically equivalent to a tie. We're gonna need to see more polls like that before saying it's happening.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 02:05:30 PM »

So does that mean that this pollster is an outlier, or has the YES support peaked and is starting to collapse?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 02:27:24 PM »

So does that mean that this pollster is an outlier, or has the YES support peaked and is starting to collapse?

Look at what Al posted again. This poll is the same as the last one by the same company Smiley

That doesn't mean they are wrong though. Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 03:58:15 PM »

Well, I guess it was fun while it lasted. Sad
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 05:28:25 AM »

Hm, Badger has made quite a good point about danger of a country becoming independent via referendum with almost another half of the voters opposing such measure. Perhaps there ought to be higher threshold for making such decision?

While I agree it's unfortunate that 51% of Scots could force the other 49% to become independent, it would be way more unfair to let 41% of Scots force the other 59% to stay united with Britain. Simple majority is the best system because minimizes the number of unhappy voters.

That said, I could support a requirement that YES wins, say, at least 45% of all registered voters - so as to make sure that independence is won through voter apathy.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 12:04:13 PM »

Looks like Nate Silver has also weighed in on this same debate.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 12:59:02 AM »

ICM: No 45, Yes 41
Survation: No 48, Yes 44
Opinium: No 47, Yes 43

So it's over.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 03:00:06 AM »

I'm pretty sure No will win. Partly because that's what polls indicate, and partly because elections in Europe always go worse than I expect.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 03:20:38 AM »

I'm pretty sure No will win. Partly because that's what polls indicate, and partly because elections in Europe always go worse than I expect.

I wouldn't really rule out a Yes-win.

People often lie to pollsters when it comes to stuff like this and there's a good chunk of undecideds which could swing it to Yes.

Isn't the rule of thumb that in decisions of this magnitude undecideds break for the status quo?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 03:37:03 AM »

I wouldn't really rule out a Yes-win.

People often lie to pollsters when it comes to stuff like this and there's a good chunk of undecideds which could swing it to Yes.

Isn't the rule of thumb that in decisions of this magnitude undecideds break for the status quo?

I don't have any studies on past referendums, but the last polls for Scotland among undecideds are inconclusive and the overall results are well within the MoE. This is still a 50-50 race and I agree with what politicus said about the people who usually never vote and who are secretly poorer and nationalist.

(The article that politicus is looking for was in the "Economist" recently and looked into these poorer neighbourhoods).

Yes, but these voters probably are the reason why it's somewhat close in the first place. There's no indication that these people haven't been accounted for in polling (British polls don't use LV screens AFAIK).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 03:43:15 AM »

Yeah, I understood the mistake, no trouble. Wink

And anyway, I really hope you're right! Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 11:55:09 AM »

Yeah, it's ridiculous that there are still countries that don't hold elections on Sundays. This is so obviously preferable in every way.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 12:21:19 PM »

Hm, Badger has made quite a good point about danger of a country becoming independent via referendum with almost another half of the voters opposing such measure. Perhaps there ought to be higher threshold for making such decision?

While I agree it's unfortunate that 51% of Scots could force the other 49% to become independent, it would be way more unfair to let 41% of Scots force the other 59% to stay united with Britain. Simple majority is the best system because minimizes the number of unhappy voters.

That said, I could support a requirement that YES wins, say, at least 45% of all registered voters - so as to make sure that independence is won through voter apathy.

Perhaps then 50% +1 of all registered voters would make even more sense?

50% of registered voters is really a lot though. Even with 90% turnout, that would still mean an effective threshold of 55.6%, which is quite enormous. And really, when turnout is so high, those 10% who don't go to the polls probably wouldn't have any clue how they will vote. It's not like this sort of voter demobilization really determines the outcome. I think a 40-45% threshold is pretty reasonable.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2014, 10:21:16 AM »

The biggest loser in all this though is Ed Milliband.

Really, dude? This is probably the exact same thing people would say if Yes had won (and the rationale in that case would make only marginally more sense).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2014, 10:46:48 AM »

Another interesting fact:

Even if there were 100% turnout (all 4.2 Mio. people voting), the "Yes"-side would have needed 80% among those who didn't vote Thursday just to break even and make it a 50-50 race ...

Or in other words, that it would have taken a 93.5% turnout with all additional voters supporting Yes to make it a 50-50 race.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies