SENATE BILL: Anti-Conscription Amendment (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:51:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Anti-Conscription Amendment (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Anti-Conscription Amendment (Failed)  (Read 7467 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2012, 09:50:47 PM »

We agree Yankee...

But I'm concerned this is going to turn into another slanging match... when this came up during my time as a Senator, I strongly opposed this, then decided it should be decided by the people, but I would campaign against it.

CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2012, 09:51:51 PM »

NC Yankee and SJoycleFla explained better then I ever could what is wrong with this proposal...
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2012, 12:35:35 PM »

I agree that we need conscription on the books but need to restrict its use somehow. I think having 3/4ths of the Senators agree to it is a good way of doing that.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2012, 02:07:18 PM »

Introducing this Amendment

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2012, 02:43:21 PM »

The DoEA finds this much more acceptable than the original.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2012, 06:23:06 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: Invalid Search Criteria
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2012, 06:59:10 PM »

WORMYGUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2012, 07:52:32 PM »

Unfriendly.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2012, 08:05:54 PM »

Frankly, the requirement that citizens be forced against their will to risk their lives on behalf of their government is the most extreme form of oppression possible short of simply rounding them up and having them tortured or killed.  There is absolutely no significant force anywhere in the world desirous of having Atlasians rounded up and tortured and killed.  There is no country in the world even theoretically capable of invading Atlasia, and there is no country in the world that would want to or have anything to gain from initiating hostilities with Atlasia even if they were evenly matched.  Furthermore, if there were a country both hostile to and evenly matched with Atlasia, such a conflict would immediately go nuclear, rendering conventional forces pointless.  Drafts have no purpose other than misuse, as they always have in Atlasia beginning with their inception in the Civil War.*

It's permitting a truly extreme form of oppression almost unheard of in the broad scheme of human history for a possibility not only remote but in fact non-existent and with no possibility of ever coming to pass in this nuclear age.  It is the very definition of insanity to maintain this as government policy.

*Where the draft was used as a tool of quite literally killing off the opposition; enforced at four times the rate in Democratic New York City as in Republican Massachusetts, while wealthy people could purchase exemptions first for $300 and later by hiring someone else to take their place, and where desertion was punished by death, with at least 50,000 executed for that reason.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2012, 08:15:02 PM »

Frankly, the requirement that citizens be forced against their will to risk their lives on behalf of their government is the most extreme form of oppression possible short of simply rounding them up and having them tortured or killed.  There is absolutely no significant force anywhere in the world desirous of having Atlasians rounded up and tortured and killed.  There is no country in the world even theoretically capable of invading Atlasia, and there is no country in the world that would want to or have anything to gain from initiating hostilities with Atlasia even if they were evenly matched.  Furthermore, if there were a country both hostile to and evenly matched with Atlasia, such a conflict would immediately go nuclear, rendering conventional forces pointless.  Drafts have no purpose other than misuse, as they always have in Atlasia beginning with their inception in the Civil War.*

It's permitting a truly extreme form of oppression almost unheard of in the broad scheme of human history for a possibility not only remote but in fact non-existent and with no possibility of ever coming to pass in this nuclear age.  It is the very definition of insanity to maintain this as government policy.

*Where the draft was used as a tool of quite literally killing off the opposition; enforced at four times the rate in Democratic New York City as in Republican Massachusetts, while wealthy people could purchase exemptions first for $300 and later by hiring someone else to take their place, and where desertion was punished by death, with at least 50,000 executed for that reason.

I'd appreciate you detailing a scenario in which the government finds it necessary to initiate conscription and gets 3/4 of the Senate to agree...
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2012, 08:18:44 PM »

Frankly, Wormy, I don't see a good argument as to why we cannot have the draft on the books, given the ancient "better safe than sorry" principle.

I urge the Senate to pass my Amendment.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2012, 08:31:09 PM »

The White House would certainly be more comfortable with Senator Ben's proposal.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2012, 08:34:11 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: Hostile

Senators, the above amendment is now at vote, so please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2012, 08:36:40 PM »

Nay.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2012, 08:41:40 PM »

Aye
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2012, 08:47:10 PM »

Grin Yup
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2012, 08:47:33 PM »

Frankly, the requirement that citizens be forced against their will to risk their lives on behalf of their government is the most extreme form of oppression possible short of simply rounding them up and having them tortured or killed.  There is absolutely no significant force anywhere in the world desirous of having Atlasians rounded up and tortured and killed.  There is no country in the world even theoretically capable of invading Atlasia, and there is no country in the world that would want to or have anything to gain from initiating hostilities with Atlasia even if they were evenly matched.  Furthermore, if there were a country both hostile to and evenly matched with Atlasia, such a conflict would immediately go nuclear, rendering conventional forces pointless.  Drafts have no purpose other than misuse, as they always have in Atlasia beginning with their inception in the Civil War.*

It's permitting a truly extreme form of oppression almost unheard of in the broad scheme of human history for a possibility not only remote but in fact non-existent and with no possibility of ever coming to pass in this nuclear age.  It is the very definition of insanity to maintain this as government policy.

I'd appreciate you detailing a scenario in which the government finds it necessary to initiate conscription and gets 3/4 of the Senate to agree...

In 1964 President Lyndon Johnson went on television and outright lied to the Atlasian people in order to have his pointless war of aggression including massive conscription to fight it approved, and it was, by a vote of 416 in favor to 0 opposed in the old House of Representatives.  It's more a question of what wouldn't our sainted elected officials agree to if it were proposed by the presidential administration under the guise of "defending freedom."
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2012, 08:48:15 PM »

And Nay.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2012, 10:17:33 PM »

Aye
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2012, 10:18:09 PM »

Aye
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2012, 12:19:15 PM »

Aye
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2012, 06:17:47 PM »

Nay, Senate is not representative of the people, IRV can elect enough moderate heroes that will vote for this, especially during a war.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2012, 06:24:46 PM »

Let's try this Amendment

I think this would be a better amendment, anything can be declared an Ally or a territory, but it's harder to admit imperialist adventures into a state.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2012, 06:32:06 PM »

A possible suggestion, similar to the amendments TJ and I wrote up when this thing emerged before was to place strict conditions
a) that it could only happen if the Atlasian homeland was attacked
b) that there were exclusions for single-parent households, students, existing emergency workers and other essential service workers

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2012, 11:47:52 PM »

A possible suggestion, similar to the amendments TJ and I wrote up when this thing emerged before was to place strict conditions
a) that it could only happen if the Atlasian homeland was attacked
b) that there were exclusions for single-parent households, students, existing emergency workers and other essential service workers

We could pull that language back out of the trash can if this fails and maybe the senate is more open to compromise than it was four months ago. I still think that language could be problematic in some cases, like World War II for instance, and prefer Ben's Amendment since it allows greater flexibility for any situation that might arise. I, of course, am still open to my language Tongue
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies