Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:51:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28
Author Topic: Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA  (Read 79425 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2012, 10:11:49 PM »
« edited: August 10, 2012, 10:55:41 PM by Mr. Morden »

UPDATE: Announcement is being made on Sat. Aug. 11 in Norfolk at 9am ET: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/08/10/158606908/mitt-romney-to-announce-running-mate-saturday

OK, fine, I'll appease the masses by consolidating most VP discussion into two threads.  This thread will be for actual hard news about the VP search.  You know, stuff that you find on news sites or blogs that is supposedly coming from either the campaign or the potential VP candidates themselves.  If someone denies interest in being Romney's running mate, you can post it here.  Or if leaks come out of the campaign about who they're vetting or what the criteria are, then post it in here as well.  Examples of what would go in this thread are in these threads, which I'll lock shortly:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=152534.0

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=153558.0

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=153778.0

Certainly, the news items will generate some speculation here about who's up and who's down in the running mate search, but for free-floating speculation about who you think Romney *should* pick, independent of any particular news pegs, I'll have another thread going, which I'll create shortly.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 04:37:45 PM »

An interesting statement from the chairman of the Massachusetts Republican party, which I have no doubt sums up the criteria Romney is using in his VP selection.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/05/romneys-vice-presidential-checklist/

“The first thing is he needs somebody who the people of the country will look at that individual and say if anything ever god forbid happened to Mitt Romney, this person could be president,” says Robert Maginn, chairman of the Massachusetts Republican party.

“So it’s almost like–the first rule is don’t be cute, don’t try to pick somebody who is going to bring a swing state, or bring a demographic, you pick the person who you honestly believe could step in the Oval Office and run the free world and run the country. ”

“The second thing is, there’s gotta be good personal chemistry. The president and the vice president have to work together very well. So there’s a personal connection that has to be there, they have to be able to help each other, advise each other,” Maginn explains.

“Those are the two most important factors and then you can say that from there, you can think about what balance does the person bring to the ticket?” Maginn asks.

That balance of course offers the best lead for speculation. Who balances out the successful businessman and former governor of Massachusetts?

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 10:32:08 PM »

An interesting statement from the chairman of the Massachusetts Republican party, which I have no doubt sums up the criteria Romney is using in his VP selection.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/05/romneys-vice-presidential-checklist/

“The first thing is he needs somebody who the people of the country will look at that individual and say if anything ever god forbid happened to Mitt Romney, this person could be president,” says Robert Maginn, chairman of the Massachusetts Republican party.

“So it’s almost like–the first rule is don’t be cute, don’t try to pick somebody who is going to bring a swing state, or bring a demographic, you pick the person who you honestly believe could step in the Oval Office and run the free world and run the country. ”

“The second thing is, there’s gotta be good personal chemistry. The president and the vice president have to work together very well. So there’s a personal connection that has to be there, they have to be able to help each other, advise each other,” Maginn explains.

“Those are the two most important factors and then you can say that from there, you can think about what balance does the person bring to the ticket?” Maginn asks.

That balance of course offers the best lead for speculation. Who balances out the successful businessman and former governor of Massachusetts?

Romney and Paul Ryan met campaigning in Wisconsin and apparently the two of them 'work'. Certainly it would be easy to imagine Ryan as the President. So I think these statements recommend Ryan. Of course, Ryan brings with him certain problems...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 10:36:20 PM »

If personal chemistry is the deciding factor then the nomination is definitely Ryan's to lose- when the word "bromance" was being thrown around...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 10:46:25 PM »

Hahaha Romney is seriously considering picking Ryan? Awesome.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 10:50:43 AM »

If he does, though, the Democrats will tear him a new one.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 11:05:20 AM »

What, pray tell, would the Dems say that they haven't been saying for 2 years now? Romney is running on that budget and both men have literally put their arms around each other quite enthusiastically (unlike Dole/Kemp). If Romney's unafraid of a de facto ticket, no reason to be afraid of a de jure one.

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 12:08:30 PM »

What, pray tell, would the Dems say that they haven't been saying for 2 years now? Romney is running on that budget and both men have literally put their arms around each other quite enthusiastically (unlike Dole/Kemp). If Romney's unafraid of a de facto ticket, no reason to be afraid of a de jure one.

If Ryan is Romney's actual VP, the connection will be even more permanent and the Democratic attacks will be relentless. They won't say anything different, they'll just be saying it more.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 07:21:17 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2012, 07:36:40 PM by WhyteRain »

The MSM, having promoted the nomination of the most anti-Tea Party candidacy of Mitt Romney, will get behind another anti-Tea Partyer, Paul Ryan.  

All you need to know about Ryan is that his budget would balance in 26 years.  Sen. Rand Paul (T-KY) has proposed a budget that will balance in five.

Ryan's budget has already been overrun by facts.  In a few more years the Ryan Budget will be so useless that the Democrats will adopt it and whine "hey, it was a Republican idea back then (when it could have done some good) -- why won't you support it now?!?"
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 07:55:19 PM »

When will Romney announce who his running mate is? Obama and McCain announced theirs in August, but didn't Kerry announce his in June?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 07:57:40 PM »

When will Romney announce who his running mate is? Obama and McCain announced theirs in August, but didn't Kerry announce his in June?

Kerry announced his in early July- 3 weeks before the DNC. No real bump. By all indications Romney will announce the pick no more than a week before C-Day. Probably by appearing with said person at a campaign event like Obama and McCain did in '08.

President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 07:25:20 AM »
« Edited: May 29, 2012, 07:30:05 AM by KINGTHLAYER »

If Romney picks Ryan, he won't be able to shamelessly flip flop away from the congressman's budget plans once they come under scrutiny again. I doubt Ryan's solutions are any more resilient to Democratic attacks now than they were a year ago.

Thus, I don't think Ryan's on the ticket unless Romney is 100% ready to commit himself to his proposals for the entire campaign. He very well could be ready, but I doubt it.

Remember, Romney needs to keep this election a referendum on Obama's performance on the economy, or else he won't win. If his campaign gets distracted or put on the defensive over Ryan's budget plans, Romney will be in serious trouble. Thus I think Ryan ultimately violates the "do no harm" rule, and we can rule him out.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 07:35:17 PM »

Remember, Romney needs to keep this election a referendum on Obama's performance on the economy, or else he won't win. If his campaign gets distracted or put on the defensive over Ryan's budget plans, Romney will be in serious trouble. Thus I think Ryan ultimately violates the "do no harm" rule, and we can rule him out.
Like Kathy Hochul. She won in a Republican-leaning district based solely on opposition to the Ryan plan.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 07:36:45 PM »

Portman is meeting Bibi in Israel.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/05/vp-contender-rob-portman-to-meet-with-israel-pm/
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 09:16:13 AM »

I posted in this thread two weeks ago that Romney officials were saying that the vetting process had begun, and at least some of the prospective running mate options had already been contacted to ask for info:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=153778.0

Pawlenty, Portman, Rubio, and Ryan have all refused to say whether they've been contacted by the campaign for vetting.  Daniels and Thune (at least as of two weeks ago) said that they had not been contacted.  Now McDonnell also says that he has not been contacted:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/virginia-news/2012/05/mcdonnell-romney-campaign-not-vetting-me-veep/666366
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 09:39:28 PM »

A spokesman for Nikki Haley says that she hasn't been contacted for vetting, and would refuse to be vetted if asked, because (as Haley has said before) she isn't interested in being VP:

http://summerville.patch.com/articles/haley-spokesperson-gov-hasnt-been-vetted-and-wont-be
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 10:02:04 PM »

so who the hell is being vetted?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 10:04:17 PM »

Most likely Rubio, Portman, Jindal, Ryan, Pawlenty, CMR/Ayotte or Toomey as longshots. I'd be very surprised if McDonnell wasn't on the list but we'll only find out in 2 years when H&H release their book.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 10:48:24 PM »

The blog race42012 claims that the following people (though this would probably be an incomplete list) have been sent vetting materials by the Romney campaign:

Ayotte
Christie
Jindal
McMorris Rodgers
Pawlenty
Portman
Rubio

But this hasn't been confirmed by any other news source, so take it with a grain of salt.

The following people have refused to say whether or not they're being vetted:

Pawlenty
Portman
Rubio
Ryan

The following people have said on the record that they're *not* being vetted:

Daniels
Haley
McDonnell
Thune

(Though it's possible that they're lying and/or that the Romney campaign just hasn't gotten to them yet.)

So little is known for sure.  I would bet money though that Pawlenty is indeed under consideration, because of how suddenly he reversed his denials of interest.  He went from "No, I have no interest in being veep, and would turn down the offer" to "I can't really talk about this anymore, and I'm not saying whether I would or wouldn't accept the offer" just at the moment when the vetting process began.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 11:04:10 PM »

I would also bet that most, if not all, of the people who say "no comment" are being vetted.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 11:07:47 PM »

I would also bet that most, if not all, of the people who say "no comment" are being vetted.

Agreed.  In vice presidentese, "I don't think I'll be picked" means "I'm desperate to be picked", and "I can't say whether I'm being vetted" means "I'm obviously being vetted, but can't tell you, you idiot reporter."
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 11:08:52 PM »

By the way, Nikki Haley has put in her two cents as to who should be Romney's choice: either Bobby Jindal or Condi Rice.

http://www.thestate.com/2012/05/30/2295145/haley-bobby-jindal-or-condi-rice.html
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2012, 11:22:03 PM »

I wouldn't use the word desperate so much as interested. Desperate is McDonnell, who has outdone John 'effin Edwards in his public campaigning for that job but with little effect. I said it would haunt him and now look- he claims he's not being vetted and NJ/WaPo have way downgraded him on their rankings. Romney isn't the sort of person to appreciate that sort of stuff given his background and personality.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2012, 08:49:22 PM »

As recently as April, Jeb Bush said that he'd "consider it" if Romney asked him to be his running mate.

Now he says that he wouldn't accept, and wouldn't agree to a vetting:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/06/jeb-bush-vp-candidacy-not-in-the-cards-for-me-and-he-can-prove-it/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2012, 08:53:04 PM »

He probably wasn't on the list to begin with.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies