Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2014, 11:51:03 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 28 Print
Author Topic: Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA  (Read 24593 times)
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: July 18, 2012, 06:29:48 am »

About the vetting of Rubio:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/national/article1240770.ece

If Romney is vetting Rubio, he has not left footprints in an obvious spot: Tallahassee, where Rubio served nine years in the House, including two as speaker. No one from the Romney campaign — or anyone else this year — has requested documents from the House.

HOG & Blondie: A Tale of Atlas Future

What is your opinion of this thread?

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 18, 2012, 11:29:59 am »
Ignore

Portman says he doesn't want it. Team Romney is putting out more conflicting news- NRO says Friday, NYDN says when Romney returns from overseas. One of the reasons I don't think the rollout this week- way too much surrogate work. I don't recall Biden/Bayh/Kaine doing that just before Obama picked Biden.

http://www.businessinsider.com/rob-portman-says-hes-staying-in-the-senate-audio-2012-7
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:31:48 am by Romney/Ryan 2012! »Logged

+7.35, +3.65

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.52

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 18, 2012, 11:57:25 am »
Ignore

I wonder if Portman has already been told it's not him.

Kind of strange for THE most betted on pick to be saying he doesn't want it so close to when we're expecting an announcement.

RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 18, 2012, 12:29:06 pm »
Ignore

News of Biden's Secret Service protection was leaked 3 days out- I just checked Google News. If the announcement's Friday and we're at Wednesday... as I said, doubtful.

Portman: If Romney wanted Bush on the ballot he would have picked Jeb.

Most betted on: Isn't that Pawlenty?

+7.35, +3.65

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 18, 2012, 12:37:56 pm »
Ignore

Pawlenty was leading briefly, but Portman is back on top at Intrade.

RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 18, 2012, 12:43:29 pm »
Ignore

Apparently Pawlenty's site is down for updating, but surely it wouldn't be this obvious. Would it?

Intrade: Who cares what Intrade says?

+7.35, +3.65

freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 18, 2012, 01:34:28 pm »
Ignore

Ryan's a smart guy. He could hold his own against Biden.
understatement of the year!     understatement of the year!     understatement of the year!     understatement of the year!     understatement of the year!     understatement of the year!
We have a nominee for understatement of the year! 

I almost shot a mouthful of my drink against the screen reading that. 

guy in politics for maybe a dozen years vs a guy in politics for 40?

RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 18, 2012, 01:58:42 pm »
Ignore

Romney's going to be headlining a CA fundraiser with George Shultz and Meg Whitman among others on Sunday, throwing this alleged schedule into even more doubt.

+7.35, +3.65

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 18, 2012, 04:21:13 pm »

News of Biden's Secret Service protection was leaked 3 days out- I just checked Google News.

Link?  IIRC, it leaked out on Friday night, and the networks definitively broke the news that it was Biden late Friday night / early Saturday morning.

But news of the specific time and place that the announcement would be made was leaked out 3 days in advance for both Biden and Palin.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 18, 2012, 04:25:37 pm »
Ignore

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2008/08/us-secret-servi/

+7.35, +3.65

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 18, 2012, 04:27:16 pm »
Ignore

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2012/07/rob_portman_comments_sets_off.html

Sources who would not talk on the record told The Plain Dealer that too much is being read into Portman’s comments and that nothing has changed. He has said for several months that he is happy serving the people of Ohio in the Senate. But that was a classic non-denial denial, and as Portman has acknowledged before, you don’t exactly run to be the running mate. The presidential nominee picks you.

So Portman could still be the pick.

I simply cannot see Pawlenty as a heavyweight nominee.

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 18, 2012, 04:32:07 pm »

That wasn't three days out.  That was just a few hours out.  Time stamp on the article is August 22 at 10:50pm, which was just like an hour before all the networks confirmed that was Biden.  Obama's campaign then officially confirmed it in the early morning hours, before Biden made his joint appearance w/ Obama on Saturday morning.

AmericanNation
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 18, 2012, 05:41:18 pm »
Ignore

Guy who is a clownish buffoon, wrong on every foreign policy issue for 30+ years, and eating in dinners that have been closed for 20.
vs.
the guy with the best combination of intelligence, work ethic/morality, and speaking ability in Washington.     

President William McKinley
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 18, 2012, 05:42:18 pm »
Ignore

Guy who is a clownish buffoon, wrong on every foreign policy issue for 30+ years, and eating in dinners that have been closed for 20.
vs.
the guy with the best combination of intelligence, work ethic/morality, and speaking ability in Washington.     
I agree with your comments about Biden but do not believe Ryan is a good speaker at all...that is one of his weaknesses

AmericanNation
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 18, 2012, 05:52:28 pm »
Ignore

vs.
I agree with your comments about Biden but do not believe Ryan is a good speaker at all...that is one of his weaknesses
well it starts with
1) being really really smart
which leads to
2) being able to answer anything off the top of his head better than anyone
which leads to
3)being the master of compressing complex thoughts/things/numbers into perfect soundbites.
which means
4) He is great on TV and can do a million interviews with no problem.
5)He is a happy optimistic guy despite having the most realistic understanding of gathering calamities.  He can bash an opponent with that advantage anytime he wants.   

I mean he never stumbles on words or numbers, the guy is smooth and concise, packing every sentence with information.  How is that a weakness?

clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: July 18, 2012, 06:44:26 pm »
Ignore

No gravitas... you could tell me he is competing for a college debate team and I would believe you. He looks like a twig and sounds like his jewels haven't yet dropped

AmericanNation
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 18, 2012, 07:32:45 pm »
Ignore

No gravitas... you could tell me he is competing for a college debate team and I would believe you. He looks like a twig and sounds like his jewels haven't yet dropped
OK, you think he is too young.  I can see that, weakness at speaking is the opposite of reality though.  The guy has "jewels" enough to be the first/only guy to put a serious plan on the table.  Budget chairman carries some gravitas IMO.     

clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 18, 2012, 07:50:17 pm »
Ignore

OK, you think he is too young.  I can see that, weakness at speaking is the opposite of reality though.  The guy has "jewels" enough to be the first/only guy to put a serious plan on the table.  Budget chairman carries some gravitas IMO.     
Don't get me wrong- I like Ryan and would be happy if he is named VP. I simply don't believe most would agree with you that he is a great speaker

AmericanNation
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 18, 2012, 08:08:44 pm »
Ignore

Don't get me wrong- I like Ryan and would be happy if he is named VP. I simply don't believe most would agree with you that he is a great speaker
I could see people interpreting "great speaker" differently.  He has great speaking skills (as I outlined).  He isn't a motivational, rabble rousing, shoot thrills up your leg guy very often because he's busy being serious.  He does have the ability to be inspirational, but I admit he can't pull that off all the time.     

RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 18, 2012, 08:19:24 pm »
Ignore

Pawlenty was practically screaming about how un-boring he is, even offering to "show my tats" for Cavuto.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0712/78687.html

+7.35, +3.65

Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.16, S: -5.57

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 18, 2012, 08:22:04 pm »
Ignore

Pawlenty was practically screaming about how un-boring he is, even offering to "show my tats" for Cavuto.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0712/78687.html
Wow. Trying too hard there T-Paw.

We need a public option

Quote from: President Harry S. Truman
“We should resolve now that the health of this nation is a national concern; that financial barriers in the way of attaining health shall be removed
HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 18, 2012, 08:24:04 pm »
Ignore

Yeah. I wonder how long he practiced that one?

RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 18, 2012, 08:45:30 pm »
Ignore

This is a Pawtern which we've seen all too often. Wimpiness followed by hilarious overcompensation and hasty retreat. Plus who says "tats" as short for tattoos? Reminds me of when he made awkward Lady Gaga references during the debates.

Apparently one reason why Romney supposedly likes him is because he's willing to do literally anything they ask. Cause a yes man is totally who he's looking for as Veep.

Finally, in case the "Pawlenty's site thing is down" thing is up- apparently that's not how redesign is done. Another part of the head fake.

+7.35, +3.65

mondale84
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 18, 2012, 08:49:44 pm »
Ignore

If Romney picks Pawlenty, I think the American people are going to sleep through the VP debate. Most boring Republican pol ever.

"There are no men like me. There's only me."
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 18, 2012, 09:58:26 pm »
Ignore

Just got an email from the Romney campaign:

Friend,

How amazing would it be to personally meet Mitt and his choice for VP during this historic campaign? You've still got 48 hours to enter for a chance to meet America's Comeback Team -- don't miss out.

Donate $3 today to be automatically entered for the chance to join Mitt and his VP pick at a future event.

Good luck!

Abe Adams
Deputy Digital Director
Romney for President

Remember how they said it was each week until the announcement to enter this contest? Now it's down to 48 hours. Methinks the announcement is coming this week.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 28 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout