Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:25:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 28
Author Topic: Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA  (Read 78827 times)
technical support
thrillr1111
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: July 29, 2012, 09:30:15 AM »

Not so sure romney will pick a washington insider. Rubio is part of washington he's a senator and Portman is part of washington he's also a senator. Romney spent the entirety of his presidential primary campaign casting himself — smartly — as an outsider to Washington and its ways.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #376 on: July 29, 2012, 09:35:32 AM »

Not so sure romney will pick a washington insider. Rubio is part of washington he's a senator and Portman is part of washington he's also a senator. Romney spent the entirety of his presidential primary campaign casting himself — smartly — as an outsider to Washington and its ways.

But Rubio is a very Anti-Washington/Anti-Establishment type of guy. Even as a Senator, he maintains the Anti-Washington type image.

Portman, on the other hand, is more establishment than Rubio, therefore picking him might not end up very well. The reason Pawlenty is a safe pick is because he wasn't a Washington insider, rather a Governor from a state as far away from the DC BS as possible. If Pawlenty's the pick, he won't win Minnesota, but it might help secure some states like Wisconsin or Ohio.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #377 on: July 29, 2012, 09:41:58 AM »

Pawlenty won't help anywhere or with anything. The guy can't even retire his own campaign debt, how is he going to raise money for the campaign? Plus Romney said he'll pick a conservative, and Pawlenty's reputation there is hardly stellar. OK, but nothing to write home about.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/tim-pawlenty-shows-sides-vice-presidential-contender/story?id=16879673
technical support
thrillr1111
United States

« Reply #378 on: July 29, 2012, 09:50:06 AM »

Romney may be one of the first presidential candidates to lose his home state on election night. Massachusettes. And if he chooses pawlenty he may not carry his home state either.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #379 on: July 29, 2012, 11:49:57 AM »

But she's pro-choice and is not married. Plus she doesn't want the job either.

I think it seems like people would care more than they actually would. Herman Cain was a black, cheating husband. And I bet if he'd stayed in the race, he still would have been formidable, if only because of how much people disliked Romney. People would accept Condi.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #380 on: July 29, 2012, 11:55:20 AM »

Do you remember what happened in '08 when McCain floated pro-choice running mates like Lieberman, Ridge, Giuliani? Hint: it wasn't pretty. Particularly for someone like Romney who's already distrusted on this issue because of his weathervane tendencies.

To me Condimania makes even less sense than Pawlentymania, but to each their own.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #381 on: July 29, 2012, 04:15:32 PM »

Every governor who runs for president runs as an outsider to Washington and its ways, yet they all pick running mates with Washington experience.  When was the last time we had a major party ticket with two current or former governors?  Hasn't happened for at least several decades.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #382 on: July 29, 2012, 04:39:38 PM »

Morden is right, and Jon Karl thinks that Ryan's odds are undervalued.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/07/sunday-sound-heard-on-this-week-11/
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #383 on: July 29, 2012, 04:54:28 PM »

Romney may be one of the first presidential candidates to lose his home state on election night. Massachusettes. And if he chooses pawlenty he may not carry his home state either.

Gore, McGovern, Stevenson, Dewey, Landon, Hoover, Smith, Davis, Cox, Wilson, Taft, Parker, Bryan...
wan
United States

« Reply #384 on: July 29, 2012, 11:15:35 PM »

The governor of va will be romneys running mate. I just have that feeling that romney knows he needs to carry va.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #385 on: July 30, 2012, 01:40:40 PM »

Which isn't Portlenty.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/07/heilemann-why-jindal-ryan-look-good-to-romney.html
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #386 on: July 30, 2012, 04:54:08 PM »

Gore, McGovern, Stevenson, Dewey, Landon, Hoover, Smith, Davis, Cox, Wilson, Taft, Parker, Bryan...

I was about to point that out.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #387 on: July 31, 2012, 08:02:57 AM »

Romney will announce his choice via a smartphone app, which you can download here:

http://www.mittromney.com/app/vp

Of course, in 2008, Obama was supposedly going to announce his choice via text message, but it didn't happen until about 5 hours after it was already reported by all the cable news networks.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #388 on: July 31, 2012, 09:01:34 AM »

Romney will announce his choice via a smartphone app, which you can download here:

Of course, in 2008, Obama was supposedly going to announce his choice via text message, but it didn't happen until about 5 hours after it was already reported by all the cable news networks.

Honestly, I think Mitt just wants to seem cool and relatable with this. He wants to show everyone that he understands what it's like to own an iPhone instead of a $500,000 robot phone that's not slated to come out until 2023. Mitt's relatable.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #389 on: July 31, 2012, 04:22:26 PM »

Will he announce during this swing-state tour in a few weeks?

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/31/romney-preps-swing-state-blitz-stirring-v-p-speculation/
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #390 on: August 01, 2012, 02:42:26 AM »

At least all the words are spelled correctly this time around.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #391 on: August 01, 2012, 10:14:57 AM »

Jon Karl: Shortlist down to Pawlenty/Portman/Ryan.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/jonathan-karls-list-vp-field-august-portman-pawlenty-ryan/story?id=16354225#.UBk1-mFfFQJ

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/mitt-romney-set-pick-vice-president-2012-election-16902991
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #392 on: August 01, 2012, 02:16:33 PM »

Portman  = safe/"smart"
Pawlenty = safe/vanilla
Ryan        = perfect guy to be VP/ slight risk

I buy that that is actually the top tier.   
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #393 on: August 01, 2012, 02:41:01 PM »

I doubt Portman because of a) Bush b) flunking the chem test. The real battle is between Pawlenty and Ryan.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #394 on: August 01, 2012, 02:56:09 PM »

True, but Romney cant win without OH and polls havent been good to Romney in OH

So I'm betting on Portman
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #395 on: August 01, 2012, 02:57:24 PM »

I know Rice was mostly floated as a distraction... but after a bad overseas trip and lagging numbers, she's a risk I'd look into. Almost every swing state poll (and some safe-D states), show Rice being a significant help for Romney.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #396 on: August 01, 2012, 03:06:47 PM »

Portman doesn't move the OH needle, PPP has polled that theory multiple times. The only one who moves their home state needle is Ryan.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #397 on: August 01, 2012, 03:14:01 PM »

I know Rice was mostly floated as a distraction... but after a bad overseas trip and lagging numbers, she's a risk I'd look into. Almost every swing state poll (and some safe-D states), show Rice being a significant help for Romney.
If Romney can figure out a way to get around the abortion issue, I think she's the best pick.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #398 on: August 01, 2012, 05:38:38 PM »

If he chooses Pawlenty, we'll se some ads about ObamneyCare. If he chooses Ryan, will see some Medicare ads and Obama will most likely carry Fl and make AZ competitive. Portman is the best of them three, even if he worked in the GWB administration. GWB's approvals aren't that bad right now (and that makes me sick).
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #399 on: August 01, 2012, 05:47:51 PM »

GWB's approvals aren't that bad right now (and that makes me sick).

I think you're the first left-wing forumer to admit it, but keep in mind Republicans and independents have a 'he was alright' opinion about Bush, whereas Democrats remember him as 'he was f**king AWFUL!' The turnout effect picking a former Bush administration official would have would not be positive for Romney, unfortunately.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies