Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:34:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 28
Author Topic: Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA  (Read 78828 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: August 06, 2012, 07:15:50 AM »

Rice, Martinez, Haley, Huckabee among the announced speakers.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #476 on: August 06, 2012, 09:35:37 AM »

If Santorum doesn't get a speaking spot...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #477 on: August 06, 2012, 09:44:37 AM »

It has nothing to do with Veepstaking. Tongue

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #478 on: August 06, 2012, 10:27:42 AM »

Oh, no, no. I wasn't implying that. This was just the first place I saw the speaker announcement and was voicing my frustration.

By the way, I'm not even rooting for Rick to be the (total surprise) pick. I'm not rooting for anyone actually.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #479 on: August 06, 2012, 10:41:33 AM »

It'll be post-Olympics, if for no other reason than Ann won't be back from London by Friday. Personally I'm not eager for an early rollout cause the result probably wouldn't please me.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/05/a-big-decision-with-its-timing-carefully-planned/?ref=politics&gwh=9368E5A037ECA331D68E6E33DBD7106B
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #480 on: August 06, 2012, 11:28:53 AM »

Romney in NH all day.

http://race42012.com/2012/08/06/romney-to-spend-all-day-with-senior-advisers-in-nh-today/#comments
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #481 on: August 06, 2012, 12:15:54 PM »

Bus tour officially announced. VA (11), NC (12), FL (13), OH (14).
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #482 on: August 06, 2012, 01:45:34 PM »

They must have multiple buses prepared.  Just from Tallahassee to Cincinnati is over 12 hours non-stop.  Makes no sense to add Ohio on at the end unless it was a last minute addition to tour with the Veep in his home State after announcing him in Tampa next Monday. 
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #483 on: August 06, 2012, 01:49:41 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2012, 02:59:11 PM by Romney/Ryan 2012! »

While the Veep might be unveiled on the tour I doubt a) that it's Portman b) that they'd be that obvious. I still think Pawlenty has an edge in Boston's mind but would be thrilled to be proven wrong.

NBC's report on today's meeting.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/06/13147188-romney-bus-tour-fuels-vp-speculation?ocid=twitter
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #484 on: August 06, 2012, 03:37:20 PM »

I wouldn't think they'd be that obvious either, but that's a poor schedule for a bus tour unless he intends to announce in Florida and then go to the home state of his veep choice.  Also the VA/NC/FL stops were announced first.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #485 on: August 06, 2012, 03:41:42 PM »

Palin was announced in Ohio. IMO if Romney wanted real suspense he'd announce the pick in Iowa. Right between MN/WI. Tongue
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #486 on: August 06, 2012, 04:05:48 PM »

Yeah, that's a change from the initial schedule.  It was originally August 10-13, now it's 11-14.  So it doesn't start until Saturday.  Will Ann be back from London by Saturday?  Wink  Also, if my Michigan announcement idea pans out, maybe Romney hops accross the OH/MI stateline either late on the 14th or on the morning of the 15th and announces his pick.

Finally, The Twitter tells me Romney will campaign with McDonnell in VA and with Portman in OH.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #487 on: August 06, 2012, 04:08:55 PM »

Yes, she'll be on the bus tour. I still don't get MI because while it is his original home state 'tis also firmly in the Donk column.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #488 on: August 06, 2012, 04:13:24 PM »

Yes, she'll be on the bus tour. I still don't get MI because while it is his original home state 'tis also firmly in the Donk column.

Obama announced his choice in Illinois, which was far less competitive.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #489 on: August 06, 2012, 04:38:05 PM »

Obama announced his choice in Illinois, which was far less competitive.

Maybe Mitt thinks MI can still be in play if he uses the home state card?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #490 on: August 06, 2012, 05:31:45 PM »

Yeah, that's a change from the initial schedule.  It was originally August 10-13, now it's 11-14.  So it doesn't start until Saturday.  Will Ann be back from London by Saturday?  Wink  Also, if my Michigan announcement idea pans out, maybe Romney hops accross the OH/MI stateline either late on the 14th or on the morning of the 15th and announces his pick.

Finally, The Twitter tells me Romney will campaign with McDonnell in VA and with Portman in OH.

Cam this rule out McDonnell and Portman as VP then? McDonnell as lower on the list anyways even if this is starting in Virginia.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #491 on: August 06, 2012, 05:41:28 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2012, 06:16:19 PM by Romney/Ryan 2012! »

Yeah, that's a change from the initial schedule.  It was originally August 10-13, now it's 11-14.  So it doesn't start until Saturday.  Will Ann be back from London by Saturday?  Wink  Also, if my Michigan announcement idea pans out, maybe Romney hops accross the OH/MI stateline either late on the 14th or on the morning of the 15th and announces his pick.

Cam this rule out McDonnell and Portman as VP then? McDonnell as lower on the list anyways even if this is starting in Virginia.

Probably. Another reminder: Pawlenty is in NH on the 11th, something that's long been scheduled. Good news for Ryanistas like myself. Wink

Halperin lays out the ground rules.

http://thepage.time.com/2012/08/06/veepstakes-basics/
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #492 on: August 06, 2012, 06:48:49 PM »

Maybe the bus tour is for the purpose of telling some of the VP prospects in their home states that they're off the short list.  For example, when Romney is at a campaign stop in Virginia, he says:

"Bob McDonnell....Is Governor McDonnell here?  There you are Governor, please come up to the podium with me.  Isn't he a fantastic governor, Virginia?"  [cheers erupt from the crowd]

"Now Governor, I just wanted to tell you in front of all of these constituents of yours, and all of these news cameras, that you are........NOT going to be my running mate."  [The smile on McDonnell's face slowly fades, and his eyes well up with tears.]

Then he does the same in Florida with Rubio and in Ohio with Portman.  Wink
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #493 on: August 06, 2012, 08:00:12 PM »

Maybe the bus tour is for the purpose of telling some of the VP prospects in their home states that they're off the short list.  For example, when Romney is at a campaign stop in Virginia, he says:

"Bob McDonnell....Is Governor McDonnell here?  There you are Governor, please come up to the podium with me.  Isn't he a fantastic governor, Virginia?"  [cheers erupt from the crowd]

"Now Governor, I just wanted to tell you in front of all of these constituents of yours, and all of these news cameras, that you are........NOT going to be my running mate."  [The smile on McDonnell's face slowly fades, and his eyes well up with tears.]

The tribe has spoken, now place your extinguished torch over there and leave VP island.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #494 on: August 06, 2012, 08:08:12 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/romneys-vp-list-seems-to-get-shorter-as-gop-convention-speakers-are-announced/2012/08/06/60e6b698-dff6-11e1-8fc5-a7dcf1fc161d_story.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Here's what I've been able to piece together about Romney's whereabouts for the coming week and a half:

Monday: With senior aides at his NH home (probably talking about veepstakes)
Tuesday: Elk Grove Village, IL
Wednesday: Des Moines, IA
Thursday: breakfast and lunchtime fundraisers in NYC area
Friday: Huh (Ann flies back from London)
Saturday: bus tour begins in Virginia
Sunday: bus tour in North Carolina
Monday: bus tour in Florida
Tuesday: bus tour ends in Ohio
Wednesday and beyond: Huh
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #495 on: August 06, 2012, 08:18:57 PM »

So the VP rollout will probably be next week. By the time his bus tour finished it'll be C-12. Perfect time for a rollout which leads into the convention.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #496 on: August 06, 2012, 08:56:40 PM »

I shouted "AWWWWW" Sad
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #497 on: August 06, 2012, 09:05:21 PM »

The tribe has spoken, now place your extinguished torch over there and leave VP island.

So it'll be a surprise pick in Jeff Probst? Cheesy
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #498 on: August 06, 2012, 10:31:43 PM »

On VP selection, look to Wikipedia:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

In the Internet age, vetting includes not only a rigorous look at a candidate's past, but rigorous editing of his or her public record. It's a simple but oft overlooked point. Kudos to Sifry for keeping it in mind.[/quote]
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #499 on: August 06, 2012, 10:38:34 PM »

So it'll be a surprise pick in Jeff Probst? Cheesy

Survivor: Tampa.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies