Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 11:06:44 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 28 Print
Author Topic: Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA  (Read 29083 times)
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -7.48

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 05, 2012, 10:08:18 pm »
Ignore

Apparently the Tampa Bay Times will be previewing some convention speakers around midnight. Gulp.

So far Christie is the only announced speaker, right?

i like girls but there is NOTHING better then a sexi hott dude
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 06, 2012, 07:15:50 am »
Ignore

Rice, Martinez, Haley, Huckabee among the announced speakers.

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  » - Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 06, 2012, 09:35:37 am »
Ignore

If Santorum doesn't get a speaking spot...

The soon-to-be-re-elected Kings of Kansas.
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 06, 2012, 09:44:37 am »
Ignore

It has nothing to do with Veepstaking. Tongue

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  » - Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 06, 2012, 10:27:42 am »
Ignore

It has nothing to do with Veepstaking. Tongue

Oh, no, no. I wasn't implying that. This was just the first place I saw the speaker announcement and was voicing my frustration.

By the way, I'm not even rooting for Rick to be the (total surprise) pick. I'm not rooting for anyone actually.

The soon-to-be-re-elected Kings of Kansas.
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: August 06, 2012, 10:41:33 am »
Ignore

It'll be post-Olympics, if for no other reason than Ann won't be back from London by Friday. Personally I'm not eager for an early rollout cause the result probably wouldn't please me.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/05/a-big-decision-with-its-timing-carefully-planned/?ref=politics&gwh=9368E5A037ECA331D68E6E33DBD7106B

7.35, 3.65

RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 06, 2012, 11:28:53 am »
Ignore

Romney in NH all day.

http://race42012.com/2012/08/06/romney-to-spend-all-day-with-senior-advisers-in-nh-today/#comments

7.35, 3.65

RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 06, 2012, 12:15:54 pm »
Ignore

Bus tour officially announced. VA (11), NC (12), FL (13), OH (14).

7.35, 3.65

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #483 on: August 06, 2012, 01:45:34 pm »
Ignore

They must have multiple buses prepared.  Just from Tallahassee to Cincinnati is over 12 hours non-stop.  Makes no sense to add Ohio on at the end unless it was a last minute addition to tour with the Veep in his home State after announcing him in Tampa next Monday. 

My ballot:
Haley(R) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Herbert(D) Comptroller Gen.
Spearman(R) Supt. of Education
DeFelice(American) Commissioner of Agriculture
Hutto(D/Working Families) US Sen (full)
Scott(R) US Sen (special)
Geddings(Labor) US House SC-2
Quinn(R) SC House District 69
TBD: Lex 1 School Board
Yes: Am. 1 (allow charity raffles)
No: Am. 2 (end election of the Adj. General)
No: Local Sales Tax
Yes: Temp Beer/Wine Permits
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 06, 2012, 01:49:41 pm »
Ignore

While the Veep might be unveiled on the tour I doubt a) that it's Portman b) that they'd be that obvious. I still think Pawlenty has an edge in Boston's mind but would be thrilled to be proven wrong.

NBC's report on today's meeting.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/06/13147188-romney-bus-tour-fuels-vp-speculation?ocid=twitter
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 02:59:11 pm by Romney/Ryan 2012! »Logged

7.35, 3.65

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #485 on: August 06, 2012, 03:37:20 pm »
Ignore

I wouldn't think they'd be that obvious either, but that's a poor schedule for a bus tour unless he intends to announce in Florida and then go to the home state of his veep choice.  Also the VA/NC/FL stops were announced first.

My ballot:
Haley(R) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 06, 2012, 03:41:42 pm »
Ignore

Palin was announced in Ohio. IMO if Romney wanted real suspense he'd announce the pick in Iowa. Right between MN/WI. Tongue

7.35, 3.65

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 06, 2012, 04:05:48 pm »

Yeah, that's a change from the initial schedule.  It was originally August 10-13, now it's 11-14.  So it doesn't start until Saturday.  Will Ann be back from London by Saturday?  Wink  Also, if my Michigan announcement idea pans out, maybe Romney hops accross the OH/MI stateline either late on the 14th or on the morning of the 15th and announces his pick.

Finally, The Twitter tells me Romney will campaign with McDonnell in VA and with Portman in OH.

HOG & Blondie: A Tale of Atlas Future

What is your opinion of this thread?

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 06, 2012, 04:08:55 pm »
Ignore

Yes, she'll be on the bus tour. I still don't get MI because while it is his original home state 'tis also firmly in the Donk column.

7.35, 3.65

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 06, 2012, 04:13:24 pm »

Yes, she'll be on the bus tour. I still don't get MI because while it is his original home state 'tis also firmly in the Donk column.

Obama announced his choice in Illinois, which was far less competitive.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 06, 2012, 04:38:05 pm »
Ignore

Obama announced his choice in Illinois, which was far less competitive.

Maybe Mitt thinks MI can still be in play if he uses the home state card?

A-Bob
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 1.13

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 06, 2012, 05:31:45 pm »
Ignore

Yeah, that's a change from the initial schedule.  It was originally August 10-13, now it's 11-14.  So it doesn't start until Saturday.  Will Ann be back from London by Saturday?  Wink  Also, if my Michigan announcement idea pans out, maybe Romney hops accross the OH/MI stateline either late on the 14th or on the morning of the 15th and announces his pick.

Finally, The Twitter tells me Romney will campaign with McDonnell in VA and with Portman in OH.

Cam this rule out McDonnell and Portman as VP then? McDonnell as lower on the list anyways even if this is starting in Virginia.

RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: August 06, 2012, 05:41:28 pm »
Ignore

Yeah, that's a change from the initial schedule.  It was originally August 10-13, now it's 11-14.  So it doesn't start until Saturday.  Will Ann be back from London by Saturday?  Wink  Also, if my Michigan announcement idea pans out, maybe Romney hops accross the OH/MI stateline either late on the 14th or on the morning of the 15th and announces his pick.

Cam this rule out McDonnell and Portman as VP then? McDonnell as lower on the list anyways even if this is starting in Virginia.

Probably. Another reminder: Pawlenty is in NH on the 11th, something that's long been scheduled. Good news for Ryanistas like myself. Wink

Halperin lays out the ground rules.

http://thepage.time.com/2012/08/06/veepstakes-basics/
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 06:16:19 pm by Romney/Ryan 2012! »Logged

7.35, 3.65

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 06, 2012, 06:48:49 pm »

Maybe the bus tour is for the purpose of telling some of the VP prospects in their home states that they're off the short list.  For example, when Romney is at a campaign stop in Virginia, he says:

"Bob McDonnell....Is Governor McDonnell here?  There you are Governor, please come up to the podium with me.  Isn't he a fantastic governor, Virginia?"  [cheers erupt from the crowd]

"Now Governor, I just wanted to tell you in front of all of these constituents of yours, and all of these news cameras, that you are........NOT going to be my running mate."  [The smile on McDonnell's face slowly fades, and his eyes well up with tears.]

Then he does the same in Florida with Rubio and in Ohio with Portman.  Wink

AmericanNation
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: August 06, 2012, 08:00:12 pm »
Ignore

Maybe the bus tour is for the purpose of telling some of the VP prospects in their home states that they're off the short list.  For example, when Romney is at a campaign stop in Virginia, he says:

"Bob McDonnell....Is Governor McDonnell here?  There you are Governor, please come up to the podium with me.  Isn't he a fantastic governor, Virginia?"  [cheers erupt from the crowd]

"Now Governor, I just wanted to tell you in front of all of these constituents of yours, and all of these news cameras, that you are........NOT going to be my running mate."  [The smile on McDonnell's face slowly fades, and his eyes well up with tears.]

The tribe has spoken, now place your extinguished torch over there and leave VP island.

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: August 06, 2012, 08:08:12 pm »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/romneys-vp-list-seems-to-get-shorter-as-gop-convention-speakers-are-announced/2012/08/06/60e6b698-dff6-11e1-8fc5-a7dcf1fc161d_story.html

He did meet on Monday with Beth Myers, his longtime adviser who is managing the vice presidential selection process. He also saw strategists Stuart Stevens and Russ Schriefer, and Bob White, one of Romney’s closest friends and a fellow founding partner at Bain Capital, joined the group at the house. The meeting was likely to be one of Romney’s few opportunities to review the selection process in private before the Tampa convention.

Whether he has made any decisions about a running mate — or the timing of a rollout — is unclear. His wife, Ann, remains in London to watch her dressage horse compete in the Olympics. The horse, Rafalca, will participate in the Grand Prix Special round on Tuesday morning (5:45 a.m. Eastern time) — her final opportunity to help the U.S. team win a medal. It’s also her chance to qualify for the final individual medal round on Thursday.

Republicans widely assume that Romney will wait until his wife returns home to announce his vice presidential choice, making next week seem like a logical time.

Here's what I've been able to piece together about Romney's whereabouts for the coming week and a half:

Monday: With senior aides at his NH home (probably talking about veepstakes)
Tuesday: Elk Grove Village, IL
Wednesday: Des Moines, IA
Thursday: breakfast and lunchtime fundraisers in NYC area
Friday: Huh (Ann flies back from London)
Saturday: bus tour begins in Virginia
Sunday: bus tour in North Carolina
Monday: bus tour in Florida
Tuesday: bus tour ends in Ohio
Wednesday and beyond: Huh

RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 06, 2012, 08:18:57 pm »
Ignore

So the VP rollout will probably be next week. By the time his bus tour finished it'll be C-12. Perfect time for a rollout which leads into the convention.

7.35, 3.65

R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 06, 2012, 08:56:40 pm »
Ignore

I shouted "AWWWWW" Sad

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #498 on: August 06, 2012, 09:05:21 pm »
Ignore

The tribe has spoken, now place your extinguished torch over there and leave VP island.

So it'll be a surprise pick in Jeff Probst? Cheesy

My ballot:
Haley(R) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Lief
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 06, 2012, 10:31:43 pm »
Ignore

On VP selection, look to Wikipedia:

The veep-watchers have been doing it wrong.

Tech President's Micah Sifry dismisses the speculation and hearsay and identifies what might just be the most surefire way to anticipate Mitt Romney's running mate selection:

Sarah Palin's Wikipedia page was updated at least 68 times the day before John McCain announced her selection, with another 54 changes made in the five previous days previous. Tim Pawlenty, another leading contender for McCain's favor, had 54 edits on August 28th, with just 12 in the five previous days. By contrast, the other likely picks — Romney, Kay Bailey Hutchison — saw far fewer changes. The same burst of last-minute editing appeared on Joe Biden's Wikipedia page, Terry Gudaitis of Cyveillance, told the Washington Post.

None of Wikipedia entries for the current candidates being bandied about by Romney-watchers — Rob Portman, Marco Rubio, Paul Ryan, Bobby Jindal, Chris Christie, Kelly Ayotte or Pawlenty — are currently showing anything like the spike in edits that Cyveillance spotted on Palin and Biden's pages back in 2008. But most of those came in the 24 hours prior to the official announcement. That said, if Wikipedia changes offer any hint of what's coming, then today might be a good day to bet on Ryan.

In the Internet age, vetting includes not only a rigorous look at a candidate's past, but rigorous editing of his or her public record. It's a simple but oft overlooked point. Kudos to Sifry for keeping it in mind.

At the very least, this turn of events seems to validate my prediction that Americans are ready and willing to fully embrace fascism.
I dreamed about Lief spanking Rand Paul.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 28 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout