Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:36:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28
Author Topic: Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA  (Read 79347 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: August 09, 2012, 08:03:41 PM »

Rice is a name if picked would cause me to write in Ron Paul. She's not pro-life. Like I've said he needs someone who will solidify the conservative wing to his cause. DeMint, one of the Paul's, Nikki Haley, Susan Martinez or Rubio.

You can't play it safe. You must play to win.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #576 on: August 09, 2012, 09:00:29 PM »

Rice is a name if picked would cause me to write in Ron Paul. She's not pro-life. Like I've said he needs someone who will solidify the conservative wing to his cause. DeMint, one of the Paul's, Nikki Haley, Susan Martinez or Rubio.

Those would not be a pick to win.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #577 on: August 09, 2012, 09:02:30 PM »

Nobody is talking about Rice anymore. Unfortunately for you, nobody is talking about any of those other people either.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #578 on: August 09, 2012, 09:36:04 PM »

JCL, Romney will pick someone pro-life and conservative. Maybe not ultra-conservative, but conservative.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #579 on: August 09, 2012, 09:41:24 PM »

Nobody is talking about Rice anymore. Unfortunately for you, nobody is talking about any of those other people either.

Frankly I'm surprised he didn't put Allen West and Herman Cain on his conservative wish-list like many Tweeters are currently doing....lol.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #580 on: August 09, 2012, 10:20:11 PM »

Frankly I'm surprised he didn't put Allen West and Herman Cain on his conservative wish-list like many Tweeters are currently doing....lol.
If I get one more forwarded email from my grandma or her friend about how picking West will make the "Liberals cut and run with their tails between their legs"  my head might explode...
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #581 on: August 09, 2012, 11:46:40 PM »

Again, sorry to throw cold water on this, but I wouldn't read too much into Romney's comments about "strength of character, a vision for the country that adds something to the political discourse about the direction of the country".  He has to say stuff like that.  Do you expect him to say that he'll pick a running mate who doesn't add something to the political discourse?

Anyway, at one point I was thinking that there was a chance Romney would make the announcement in Tampa, if he was there for the Florida leg of his bus tour, simply for symbolic reasons, because it's the site of the RNC.  But it looks like he *won't* go to Tampa when he visits Florida on Monday:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2012/08/romney-headed-to-miami-monday-to-launch-his-bus-trip.html

I still think there would be some logic to teasing the announcement at the beginning of the bus trip, and then making the announcement at the end, but I guess that would put us at perhaps Tuesday evening for the end of the bus trip now.  Or maybe it will be later in the week.

Absolutely, but here's the thing: Unless the candidate is with the running mate at the time of announcement, the candidate has to tell the Secret Service who the running mate is before announcing it publicly. The mainstream media is almost surely tagging all of the potential veeps right now just waiting for a sign of the Secret Service.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #582 on: August 10, 2012, 01:16:08 AM »

Again, sorry to throw cold water on this, but I wouldn't read too much into Romney's comments about "strength of character, a vision for the country that adds something to the political discourse about the direction of the country".  He has to say stuff like that.  Do you expect him to say that he'll pick a running mate who doesn't add something to the political discourse?

Anyway, at one point I was thinking that there was a chance Romney would make the announcement in Tampa, if he was there for the Florida leg of his bus tour, simply for symbolic reasons, because it's the site of the RNC.  But it looks like he *won't* go to Tampa when he visits Florida on Monday:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2012/08/romney-headed-to-miami-monday-to-launch-his-bus-trip.html

I still think there would be some logic to teasing the announcement at the beginning of the bus trip, and then making the announcement at the end, but I guess that would put us at perhaps Tuesday evening for the end of the bus trip now.  Or maybe it will be later in the week.

Absolutely, but here's the thing: Unless the candidate is with the running mate at the time of announcement, the candidate has to tell the Secret Service who the running mate is before announcing it publicly. The mainstream media is almost surely tagging all of the potential veeps right now just waiting for a sign of the Secret Service.

adds something though isn't your generic "my vp will be american and a republican". Adding something to the discourse means adding to the ticket, which means not a clone of himself. Sure, maybe I'm looking way to much into those words, or he hinted without even knowing that this person is actually going to add something to the ticket and isn't going to be a Portman or Thune
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #583 on: August 10, 2012, 02:23:14 AM »
« Edited: August 10, 2012, 02:48:55 AM by Politico »

Again, sorry to throw cold water on this, but I wouldn't read too much into Romney's comments about "strength of character, a vision for the country that adds something to the political discourse about the direction of the country".  He has to say stuff like that.  Do you expect him to say that he'll pick a running mate who doesn't add something to the political discourse?

Anyway, at one point I was thinking that there was a chance Romney would make the announcement in Tampa, if he was there for the Florida leg of his bus tour, simply for symbolic reasons, because it's the site of the RNC.  But it looks like he *won't* go to Tampa when he visits Florida on Monday:

I still think there would be some logic to teasing the announcement at the beginning of the bus trip, and then making the announcement at the end, but I guess that would put us at perhaps Tuesday evening for the end of the bus trip now.  Or maybe it will be later in the week.

adds something though isn't your generic "my vp will be american and a republican". Adding something to the discourse means adding to the ticket, which means not a clone of himself. Sure, maybe I'm looking way to much into those words, or he hinted without even knowing that this person is actually going to add something to the ticket and isn't going to be a Portman or Thune

Adds something to the discourse = Selecting a guy who grew up in a town of 488 people in South Dakota, proving that anybody can succeed in America. Romney desperately needs somebody with a humble background to defend him against the unfair portrayal being made by Team Obama.

Romney was successful in business and is not the best politician in the world, but he is a good, normal guy who is trying to become president while facing one of the best politicians and political teams in recent history. He is in touch with the problems facing ordinary Americans. His veep needs to effectively get this message across the Midwest. Only an authentic, humble Midwesterner can do it. If Thune can't do it, nobody can. Let's not forget that Thune is the guy who defeated Daschle. He is exceptional at retail politicking, which could make the difference across the Midwest.

Side benefit I forgot to mention: He shores up support among Evangelicals (quietly, of course).

When you think about it, Thune is all you could possibly want from a running mate in this election with this candidate.

I'd say there's a 75% probability of the choice being Thune, a 20% probability of it being Pawlenty, a 4% probability of it being Ryan, and a 1% probability of it being somebody else.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #584 on: August 10, 2012, 06:45:51 AM »

Adds something to the discourse = Selecting a guy who grew up in a town of 488 people in South Dakota, proving that anybody can succeed in America. Romney desperately needs somebody with a humble background to defend him against the unfair portrayal being made by Team Obama.

Romney was successful in business and is not the best politician in the world, but he is a good, normal guy who is trying to become president while facing one of the best politicians and political teams in recent history. He is in touch with the problems facing ordinary Americans. His veep needs to effectively get this message across the Midwest. Only an authentic, humble Midwesterner can do it. If Thune can't do it, nobody can. Let's not forget that Thune is the guy who defeated Daschle. He is exceptional at retail politicking, which could make the difference across the Midwest.

Side benefit I forgot to mention: He shores up support among Evangelicals (quietly, of course).

When you think about it, Thune is all you could possibly want from a running mate in this election with this candidate.

I'd say there's a 75% probability of the choice being Thune, a 20% probability of it being Pawlenty, a 4% probability of it being Ryan, and a 1% probability of it being somebody else.
Ryan is all those things except evangelical. 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #585 on: August 10, 2012, 07:51:11 AM »

Romney schedule:

http://race42012.com/2012/08/10/romneys-bus-tour-incomplete-schedule/

Friday, Aug 10
No events made public
Saturday, Aug 11
8:45 a.m. — Norfolk, VA
12:30 p.m. — Ashland, VA
3:45 p.m. — Manassas, VA
Sunday, Aug 12
9:30 a.m. — Mooresville, NC
12:30 p.m. — High Point, NC
4:00 p.m. — Morrisville, NC
Monday, Aug 13
8:00 a.m. — St. Augustine, FL
midday? — Orlando, FL
5:00 p.m. — Miami, FL
Tuesday, Aug 14
3:30 p.m. — Zanesville, OH
7:00 p.m. — Chillicothe, OH
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #586 on: August 10, 2012, 08:10:57 AM »

If I was really lucky he'd announce it when I see him in St. Augustine. But he's not going to announce on the tour itself, is he.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #587 on: August 10, 2012, 10:42:09 AM »

I had a dream last night, and in it, Romney announced via email that the pick would be made on August 15th.

I also dreamt it would rain yesterday, and it did. So make of this what you wish.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #588 on: August 10, 2012, 10:51:44 AM »

I had a dream last night, and in it, Romney announced via email that the pick would be made on August 15th.

I don't want such a "gift" for my birthday.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #589 on: August 10, 2012, 02:08:09 PM »

Romney schedule:

http://race42012.com/2012/08/10/romneys-bus-tour-incomplete-schedule/

Friday, Aug 10
No events made public
Saturday, Aug 11
8:45 a.m. — Norfolk, VA
12:30 p.m. — Ashland, VA
3:45 p.m. — Manassas, VA
Sunday, Aug 12
9:30 a.m. — Mooresville, NC
12:30 p.m. — High Point, NC
4:00 p.m. — Morrisville, NC
Monday, Aug 13
8:00 a.m. — St. Augustine, FL
midday? — Orlando, FL
5:00 p.m. — Miami, FL
Tuesday, Aug 14
3:30 p.m. — Zanesville, OH
7:00 p.m. — Chillicothe, OH

So Romney picks the man today and meets in secret with him somewhere? Or at least a super long conference call with the staff assuming they've met bunch. Palin had to be flown out because she never had really met with McCain and staffers.

So if he announces in Virginia- McDonnell. If it's Ohio, Portman. Or of course anyone since it's the beginning and end of the bus tour which is why it starts and ends with Va and Oh and not Fl because we know he never looked at Rubio as he never should.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #590 on: August 10, 2012, 02:11:14 PM »

but here's the thing: Unless the candidate is with the running mate at the time of announcement, the candidate has to tell the Secret Service who the running mate is before announcing it publicly. The mainstream media is almost surely tagging all of the potential veeps right now just waiting for a sign of the Secret Service.

While I'm certain the SS would like to be kept in the loop that way, there's no legal obligation to tip them in advance. Nor are they the only people in the world who know how to do security.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #591 on: August 10, 2012, 02:46:31 PM »

August 15th is for the Italy-England Friendly and nothing else. He better not announce that day.

Also, I heard rumblings today that Christie is emerging as a contender again. Any truth to it? I personally doubt it but a source of mine in NJ said he's hearing some things.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #592 on: August 10, 2012, 02:49:47 PM »

August 15th is for the Italy-England Friendly and nothing else. He better not announce that day.

Also, I heard rumblings today that Christie is emerging as a contender again. Any truth to it? I personally doubt it but a source of mine in NJ said he's hearing some things.

He turned down Vice-Chair of the NGA to prepare for 2013. There's no way Romney and Myers would want the same Palin mistake of a VP who's charisma overshadows the presidential candidate.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #593 on: August 10, 2012, 03:19:55 PM »

I had a dream Mittens picked Newt for his VP lol
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #594 on: August 10, 2012, 03:22:23 PM »

Sounds more like a nightmare. Tongue
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #595 on: August 10, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »

Sounds more like a nightmare. Tongue

Sounds amazing Cheesy
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #596 on: August 10, 2012, 03:33:07 PM »

Would be funny if that miracle did happen, no doubt.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #597 on: August 10, 2012, 03:39:26 PM »

Thune is booked for CNN on Sunday. Will Romney play the McCain thing he did with T-Paw with Thune? Doing it twice to T-Paw just makes it a ritual.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #598 on: August 10, 2012, 04:26:41 PM »

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mhastings/veepstakes-sen-kelly-ayotte-changes-travel-plans

Ayotte the new T-Paw let's pretend I'm VP for a day?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #599 on: August 10, 2012, 04:28:13 PM »

Hehe, this is starting to get fun...
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length