Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:09:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 28
Author Topic: Romney to announce running mate on Saturday @9am ET in Norfolk, VA  (Read 78808 times)
Averroës Nix
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: July 09, 2012, 07:11:03 PM »

Romney has absolutely no reason to announce his VP pick until the last possible moment. I'd be surprised if he announced within the next month.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #151 on: July 09, 2012, 07:45:07 PM »

Romney has absolutely no reason to announce his VP pick until the last possible moment.

Sure he does.  He may be able to get the current short-listers to campaign for him as surrogates, but they're not doing it at nearly the same pace as any of them would after being officially named as his running mate.  If he picks someone now, then he'll have a new full-time candidate to help campaign around the country and raise money.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #152 on: July 09, 2012, 08:24:15 PM »

NRO feature on Portman.

http://www.nationalreview.com/blogs/print/304969
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #153 on: July 09, 2012, 08:33:02 PM »

Historically, candidates have waited until the cusp of the convention to announce their VP choices:

Will the advantage that comes with having a second full-time campaigner make enough of a difference to Romney that he'll buck this trend?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #154 on: July 09, 2012, 08:38:32 PM »

I'm inclined to think that the actual vetting is done and what's left is selection, or at least 90% of the vetting is done. Certainly that would be the case if he's going to make an announcement in the next 3 weeks.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #155 on: July 09, 2012, 08:54:54 PM »

Will the advantage that comes with having a second full-time campaigner make enough of a difference to Romney that he'll buck this trend?

I don't know.  Maybe.  We'll find out soon enough, since there's not that much time before the Olympics.

But keep in mind: 1) If Romney is going to pick someone "boring" like Portman or Pawlenty, then he's not likely to get a bump out of the announcement anyway, no matter when the announcement is made.  So then there really would be no point in waiting, and 2) The national conventions have been getting later since about 2004 or so (note how many of the dates you give above are in July).  So yes, historically candidates have waited until the convention to announce their pick.  But that usually hasn't meant waiting until the last week of August, barely more than two months before general election, and little more than a month before the VP candidate is expected to debate.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #156 on: July 09, 2012, 08:59:58 PM »

The argument that I've heard is that waiting allows the Romney camp to amass more information about a presumptive pick (as the Obama campaign and the media investigate everyone who is being speculated on), and that because of this there's no point in going public earlier than he must.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #157 on: July 09, 2012, 09:07:15 PM »

With Romney using the short list on the stump already, there is no advantage in making a final pick before the Olympics, so I now think he'll wait till August.  If I'm wrong and he does announce before the Olympics, it'll be next week.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #158 on: July 09, 2012, 09:30:30 PM »

The argument that I've heard is that waiting allows the Romney camp to amass more information about a presumptive pick (as the Obama campaign and the media investigate everyone who is being speculated on), and that because of this there's no point in going public earlier than he must.

Assuming there is more vetting to be done.  None of us is inside the Romney campaign, so we don't know how far along the vetting is.  They may well already have all the information they're ever going to get, so there's nothing to be gained from waiting longer.  Or maybe not.  We just don't know.

Also, yes, he's already using the short list on the stump.  But not as much as a full time running mate would.  And a Rob Portman or whoever else it might be just isn't going to attract nearly as much attention on the stump before he's named as the VP nominee in waiting.

Ramesh Ponnuru makes another point about not waiting if the pick is boring, though I think this is secondary:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-06-25/who-should-romney-pick-for-vice-president-.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #159 on: July 09, 2012, 10:45:47 PM »

I find Condoleezza Rice incredibly intriguing.  Smart, educated, experienced, incredible foreign policy credentials, which Romney lacks.

I know she is pro choice, however, I believe the Reublican base would still vote for Romney with Rice on the ticket regardless.  They certainly are not going to vote for Obama.

She is clearly not a "boring white guy."  She is incredibly exciting and highly qualified.  I know her Bush ties may be a drawback to some, but she is her own person, and would excite independents, moderates, and swing voters.     

http://news.yahoo.com/condoleezza-rice-speech-stirs-vice-presidential-talk-140316502.html

“Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice delivered a 15-minute luncheon speech on foreign and domestic policy Saturday that donors described as electrifying and had attendees on their feet twice,” said Rucker. “One donor said Rice was ‘the star of the show,’ while another said that, if it was a vice presidential tryout, ‘she hit it out of the park.’”

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #160 on: July 10, 2012, 04:53:24 AM »

She would be amazing. That's why I don't see it happening.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #161 on: July 10, 2012, 07:57:03 AM »

I find Condoleezza Rice incredibly intriguing.  Smart, educated, experienced, incredible foreign policy credentials, which Romney lacks.

I know she is pro choice, however, I believe the Reublican base would still vote for Romney with Rice on the ticket regardless.  They certainly are not going to vote for Obama.

She is clearly not a "boring white guy."  She is incredibly exciting and highly qualified.  I know her Bush ties may be a drawback to some, but she is her own person, and would excite independents, moderates, and swing voters.     

http://news.yahoo.com/condoleezza-rice-speech-stirs-vice-presidential-talk-140316502.html

“Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice delivered a 15-minute luncheon speech on foreign and domestic policy Saturday that donors described as electrifying and had attendees on their feet twice,” said Rucker. “One donor said Rice was ‘the star of the show,’ while another said that, if it was a vice presidential tryout, ‘she hit it out of the park.’”

Yes, she's intelligent, capable, and would be a daring, outside-the-box choice for Republican VP.  But in addition to being pro-choice (which by itself is a deal breaker for large portions of the Republican base), she's also black and single.

While I have no doubt that that there are large numbers of Republicans for whom none of those are a problem, I expect that a very significant proportion of the base views one or all of them as complete non-starters.  I think that picking Rice would easily lead to, say 5% of the base choosing to stay home, which would be devastating, not just for Romney's presidential chances, but for down-ticket races as well.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #162 on: July 10, 2012, 11:06:28 AM »

Portman confirmed he's being vetted. Isn't that kinda breaking the rules? Tongue

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/07/veepstakes-portman-met-with-romney-aides/
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #163 on: July 10, 2012, 11:11:07 AM »

If Rice were pro-life, she'd be a homerun pick.

As it stands, it comes down to whether the risk is worth the reward. GOP turnout may be slightly lower, however, could it be made up in moderate voters? I'm not sure if Romney is willing to take that risk, especially since he can win with a boring pick.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #164 on: July 10, 2012, 04:07:06 PM »

He simply confirmed that he'd had six meetings with Romney campaign people in a span of six hours.  That could be for anything, no?  Tongue
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #165 on: July 10, 2012, 11:17:18 PM »

As much as I love Condi, and as brilliant and qualified as she is, I think we all know that Mitt is not going to take that extraordinary risk of picking a pro life candidate.

A Romney Rice ticket and administration would be my dream for America though.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #166 on: July 10, 2012, 11:27:03 PM »

As much as I love Condi, and as brilliant and qualified as she is, I think we all know that Mitt is not going to take that extraordinary risk of picking a pro life candidate.

My thoughts. America needs Romney/Rice. Between Romney's brilliance on economics and Rice's brilliance on foreign policy, those two would easily have one of the best administrations we've had, and would heal many of our problems.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #167 on: July 10, 2012, 11:34:26 PM »

My thoughts. America needs Romney/Rice. Between Romney's brilliance on economics and Rice's brilliance on foreign policy, those two would easily have one of the best administrations we've had, and would heal many of our problems.

Agreed, but I think we all know she won't be the VP nominee, unfortunately.  But President Romney could call upon her to accept the office of Secretary of State yet again. 
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #168 on: July 10, 2012, 11:43:43 PM »

Agreed, but I think we all know she won't be the VP nominee, unfortunately.  But President Romney could call upon her to accept the office of Secretary of State yet again. 

I've given a little thought to who our cabinet will be - She'd be excellent. I also would be happy with Senator Lugar, despite his age. It's a shame - she'd do much better than Portman will do as our VP.

Maybe Condi can run after Mitt's 8 years are up? She wouldn't be too old.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #169 on: July 11, 2012, 12:02:21 AM »

I've given a little thought to who our cabinet will be - She'd be excellent. I also would be happy with Senator Lugar, despite his age. It's a shame - she'd do much better than Portman will do as our VP.

Whoa there cowboy, don't count your horses before they get to the stable. My guess is Romney-Pawlenty. I wouldnt go about picking a cabinet yet, but Luger would be great at the state dept. or defense dept. Condi would only further the Obama message of taking us back to Bush (I.E. illegal Iraq War, failure in Afganistan). And 8 years of Mitt? My guess is, if the Governor manages to eek out a victory in November, in the words of Rupert Mourdoch "Doubtful", Clinton/Scweitzer would swamp Romney in 2016. And I'm talking 400 or more EVs.

Clinton-Scweitzer 438
Romney-Pawlenty 100

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #170 on: July 11, 2012, 04:29:48 AM »

You fail to realize that Mitt Romney will actually fix America's problems in four years. So I can't take your predicition seriously.

Tongue

Re: Romney/Rice... it would be a dream, and I think it would step the GOP in the right direction. Say what you want about Condoleeza Rice, but one thing she isn't is a nutjob. And while the "nutjob" criticism seems childish, it's a serious threat to the GOP. Ask moderates what they thought about guys like Santorum, and I bet the nutjob word comes up a few times. Personal feelings aside, Condi as Romney's running mate would immediately tell America that Romney is ready to run a serious administration with an exponentially qualified Vice President. And moderates would go crazy for her.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #171 on: July 11, 2012, 06:27:48 AM »

Palin predicts that Romney will pick a running mate who isn't like Palin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-zoBEZEeEeU
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #172 on: July 11, 2012, 07:52:47 PM »

You fail to realize that Mitt Romney will actually fix America's problems in four years. So I can't take your predicition seriously.

Tongue

No, you fail to realize that No One, could've fixed this mess in 4 years. If Romney had won back in 2008, most likely he'd be in the same position Obama is in right now, with the exception he'd probably have a much stronger opponent, I.E. Clinton, Scweitzer, O'Malley, or Cuomo.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #173 on: July 11, 2012, 08:49:57 PM »

Now we're back to "no timeline." Looking increasingly unlikely the announcement will be made within the next week, pre-Olympics.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/mitchell-reports/48150922
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #174 on: July 11, 2012, 08:54:09 PM »

Whoa there cowboy, don't count your horses before they get to the stable. My guess is Romney-Pawlenty. I wouldnt go about picking a cabinet yet, but Luger would be great at the state dept. or defense dept. Condi would only further the Obama message of taking us back to Bush (I.E. illegal Iraq War, failure in Afganistan). And 8 years of Mitt? My guess is, if the Governor manages to eek out a victory in November, in the words of Rupert Mourdoch "Doubtful", Clinton/Scweitzer would swamp Romney in 2016. And I'm talking 400 or more EVs.

Clinton-Scweitzer 438
Romney-Pawlenty 100

What an absolutely ridiculously hackish map.

And some have called me a hack.

My friend, any acts of  hackishness I may have committed pales in comparison to the hatchet job you have done on anything resembling reality or common sense.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies