Romney VP search: free-floating speculation and wish list thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:06:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney VP search: free-floating speculation and wish list thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13
Poll
Question: Who should Romney pick as his running mate?
Kelly Ayotte

Richard Burr

Jeb Bush

Chris Christie

Mitch Daniels

Nikki Haley

Mike Huckabee

Bobby Jindal

Susana Martinez

Bob McDonnell

Rand Paul

Tim Pawlenty

Rob Portman

Cathy McMorris Rodgers

Paul Ryan

Rick Santorum

John Thune

Pat Toomey

someone else

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 119

Author Topic: Romney VP search: free-floating speculation and wish list thread  (Read 41441 times)
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2012, 08:14:16 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He needs a southerner on the ticket. Going with Thune will show that Romney doesn't give a **** about the South.

This is why he should go with Christine O'Donnell.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2012, 09:09:08 PM »

He needs a southerner on the ticket. Going with Thune will show that Romney doesn't give a **** about the South.
Let's say you were serious, just promise Haley Barbour and Jeb Bush whatever job they want.  Problem solved. 
milhouse24
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2012, 10:00:22 PM »

She's not married.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2012, 11:01:05 PM »

She's not married.

Also, I'm pretty sure she's a witch.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2012, 10:57:02 AM »

She's not married.
Also, I'm pretty sure she's a witch.
As I recall, the definitive point of her campaign was that she is NOT a witch.  I believe her.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2012, 11:20:50 AM »

I maintain that Burr is an excellent pick.  He's Southern but not Haley Barbour Southern; he's from a swing state; conservative but not Jim DeMint crazy; he's won multiple elections; and he's scandal free.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2012, 11:29:24 AM »

Randomass suggestion:  What about Jaime Herrera?
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2012, 06:29:32 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2012, 06:33:09 PM by Kevin »

I personally think Romney should chose someone with alot of foreign/security experience to be VP. For the sake of balancing out the ticket policy wise. Ex. Michael Hayden, Rice,  Jim Talent etc.
milhouse24
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2012, 07:23:38 PM »

I maintain that Burr is an excellent pick.  He's Southern but not Haley Barbour Southern; he's from a swing state; conservative but not Jim DeMint crazy; he's won multiple elections; and he's scandal free.

I like Burr as well, and he can probably deliver strong GOTV in NC and VA.
But I think Thune is more popular with Evangelicals and has a higher national prominence. 
Burr has never seemed to indicate he has national aspirations, and therefore, he might not be well prepared to handle the VP media attention. 

I see this election similar to 2004.  Kerry could have won with General Clark or someone else besides Edwards.  All he needed was a few more votes in Ohio. 

Romney is very similar to Kerry in many ways, and he will face similar problems.  Are there any Republican Generals available for politics? 
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2012, 10:03:39 PM »

I like Burr as well, and he can probably deliver strong GOTV in NC and VA.
But I think Thune is more popular with Evangelicals and has a higher national prominence. 
Burr has never seemed to indicate he has national aspirations, and therefore, he might not be well prepared to handle the VP media attention. 

I see this election similar to 2004.  Kerry could have won with General Clark or someone else besides Edwards.  All he needed was a few more votes in Ohio. 

Romney is very similar to Kerry in many ways, and he will face similar problems.  Are there any Republican Generals available for politics? 
Petreus is the only one with enough 'gravitas.'  Some wouldn't consider him 'available' though.   
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2012, 11:16:07 PM »

He's not an excellent pick, tho I don't think there is an excellent pick that would be a game-changer for the Mittbot.  Burr would be a safe pick, which is why I am surprised he doesn't get more press.  Mitt likes to play it safe.  He only leaves his comfort zone if he feels the need.  Right now he doesn't feel the need to take risks, which is probably one reason The Mitt won't call out The Donald for being an idiot.  If the June jobs report is similar to May's, the chances Romney makes a safe boring pick go up.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2012, 08:38:21 AM »
« Edited: June 05, 2012, 08:55:38 AM by AmericanNation »

He's not an excellent pick, tho I don't think there is an excellent pick that would be a game-changer for the Mittbot.  Burr would be a safe pick, which is why I am surprised he doesn't get more press.  Mitt likes to play it safe.  He only leaves his comfort zone if he feels the need.  Right now he doesn't feel the need to take risks, which is probably one reason The Mitt won't call out The Donald for being an idiot.  If the June jobs report is similar to May's, the chances Romney makes a safe boring pick go up.
Game changers List: Rubio, Ryan, (Christie) end of list.  

edit: add Christie
milhouse24
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2012, 10:32:11 AM »

He's not an excellent pick, tho I don't think there is an excellent pick that would be a game-changer for the Mittbot.  Burr would be a safe pick, which is why I am surprised he doesn't get more press.  Mitt likes to play it safe.  He only leaves his comfort zone if he feels the need.  Right now he doesn't feel the need to take risks, which is probably one reason The Mitt won't call out The Donald for being an idiot.  If the June jobs report is similar to May's, the chances Romney makes a safe boring pick go up.

edit: add Christie

It just seemed, at least in the past, that so-called risky, game-changing VP with shock value and surprise are just a bunch of hot air that quickly loses steam.  It doesn't seem to translate into consistent votes.  I think in general, humans don't like surprises or change, and are unsure how to react to sudden changes before accepting and adapting to the new situation.  Surprises make humans uneasy and put them in flight mode. 

Rubio is so unknown, that while some hispanics will vote for him just because he's hispanic, other hispanics might not even be paying attention/don't care about politics.  His rawness might also scare away non-hispanics and whites who don't want a senate rookie as vice president.  If Rubio were truly a game-changer, it would need to change the swing vote states, not the popular vote. 

Romney would only choose rubio if he were desperate. 

Besides, Biden and Gore were very important game-changers that helped win elections and voters, even though on the surface they seem boring to the media. 
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2012, 12:20:20 PM »

Biden wasn't a game changer. Democrats were going to win in 2008 no matter what. Mike Gravel probably could've beaten whoever the GOP nominee ended up being.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2012, 02:53:20 PM »

When I mentioned game-changers I was thinking of people who would help Romney, not people who would end up helping Obama overall. Ryan and Christie would definitely hurt Romney.  Rubio is meh.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2012, 10:03:35 PM »

After tonight, Scott Walker should be on this list. 
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2012, 11:15:40 PM »

Actually, after the media buzz of this primary and the way he was able to turn out Republicans, Walker could actually put the state in play for Romney. The effect of walker in WI would probably be stronger than the effect of Rubio in Florida or Portman in Ohio.

Having Wisconsin in the GOP column would really help Romney.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Walker. But I think he could be a net positive.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2012, 11:20:24 PM »

Actually, after the media buzz of this primary and the way he was able to turn out Republicans, Walker could actually put the state in play for Romney. The effect of walker in WI would probably be stronger than the effect of Rubio in Florida or Portman in Ohio.

Having Wisconsin in the GOP column would really help Romney.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Walker. But I think he could be a net positive.

If Romney picks a Badger it will be Ryan, not Walker.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2012, 03:07:52 PM »

Obama has not had a single Southerner (black, white, or otherwise) in his cabinet -- probably the first President ever to show so much contempt for a region that holds 30% of the U.S. population.  I think even Lincoln had a Southerner or two (wasn't the slaveowning Blair the Postmaster General?) and he was in war against the South.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2012, 12:13:21 AM »

Obama doesn't have to care, he's got a free card as a black man. Do you really think that the media is going to call him out for ignoring the South? No. But what they will be selling 24/7, is the proof that Obama cares about hispanic people because he's black.

Obama doesn't have to win the south, Romney does, and the fact that Cheezy Grits was shutout there, demonstrates that he's not going to have an easy time winning votes.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2012, 12:15:52 AM »

'quote]Let's say you were serious, just promise Haley Barbour and Jeb Bush whatever job they want.  Problem solved.[/quote]

President? 
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2012, 12:17:17 AM »

And your point? Having a pretty single lady VP? She's everything Mitt ain't.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2012, 10:06:14 AM »

Thune is winning?
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2012, 11:43:34 AM »

Obama has not had a single Southerner (black, white, or otherwise) in his cabinet -- probably the first President ever to show so much contempt for a region that holds 30% of the U.S. population.  I think even Lincoln had a Southerner or two (wasn't the slaveowning Blair the Postmaster General?) and he was in war against the South.

Whatever happened to the former first lady of Arkansas?  Wasn't she in the mix at one point?
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2012, 11:44:45 AM »

Oh, board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies