Romney VP search: free-floating speculation and wish list thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:03:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney VP search: free-floating speculation and wish list thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13
Poll
Question: Who should Romney pick as his running mate?
Kelly Ayotte

Richard Burr

Jeb Bush

Chris Christie

Mitch Daniels

Nikki Haley

Mike Huckabee

Bobby Jindal

Susana Martinez

Bob McDonnell

Rand Paul

Tim Pawlenty

Rob Portman

Cathy McMorris Rodgers

Paul Ryan

Rick Santorum

John Thune

Pat Toomey

someone else

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 119

Author Topic: Romney VP search: free-floating speculation and wish list thread  (Read 41451 times)
xavier110
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: July 12, 2012, 06:44:06 PM »

Drudge is only doing this to distract from Bain. LOL.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #176 on: July 12, 2012, 08:52:06 PM »

Bain is what you call a " qualification. "  Qualifications are a positive thing that you don't distract from, so you are making zero sense.  This could be part of the VP announcement roll out though.       
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #177 on: July 12, 2012, 09:34:56 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2012, 02:52:20 AM by KINGTHLAYER »

Bain is what you call a " qualification. "  Qualifications are a positive thing that you don't distract from, so you are making zero sense.  This could be part of the VP announcement roll out though.      

Bain is quickly becoming what one could call a "millstone". Millstones are really large and heavy objects that weigh candidates down, depriving them of momentum and constantly forcing them into a defensive crouch.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #178 on: July 13, 2012, 07:48:40 AM »

It's only becoming a millstone because Obama is hugely effective at manipulating people. If I was Romney, I'd release a three-point ad tackling Obama's BS head on... "Romney's Bain Leadership."
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #179 on: July 13, 2012, 10:57:18 AM »

The Bain-ers are the New Birthers.   
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #180 on: July 13, 2012, 11:12:48 AM »

Yeah, looking at Romney's business record is as crazy as saying Obama was born in Kenya.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #181 on: July 13, 2012, 11:20:16 AM »

Romney's loan requirement for being President is his work at Bain. He's based his entire campaign on being a business man. You should know you can't just say that and think the media and your opponent are gonna take oh at your word. This is more 2004 swift-boating. Taking your opponent's largest asset and turning it into an anchor. George Bush did it with Senator Kerry's military service and President Obama is doing it with Gov. Romney's private-sector experience.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #182 on: July 13, 2012, 11:22:37 AM »

Discuss: Mike Huckabee

Has he denied possible VP talk? The guy is pretty likeable, has the experience, would please conservatives, and isn't a bad debator. Other than the pardons, what we be the negatives of a Romney/Huckabee ticket?
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #183 on: July 13, 2012, 11:58:23 AM »

Yeah, looking at Romney's business record is as crazy as saying Obama was born in Kenya.
Yeah,  Making up crazy crap, getting totally discredited and coming back with more crazy crap again and again in a deranged manner identical to the birthers is "looking at Romney's business record at Bain" the same way the Birthers were "just looking at Obama's birth certificate." 

Romney's loan requirement(qualification?) for being President is his work at Bain. He's based his entire campaign on being a business man. You should know you can't just say that and think the media and your opponent are gonna take oh at your word. This is more 2004 swift-boating. Taking your opponent's largest asset and turning it into an anchor. George Bush did it with Senator Kerry's military service and President Obama is doing it with Gov. Romney's private-sector experience.

Romney saved the Olympics and was a successful republican governor of the bluest state in the Union in addition to doing a spectacular job running Bain capitol.  Any one of the three makes him more qualified (and suggests he would do a better job) than Obama. 

The media (shockingly) is actually doing its job slapping down this Pinocchio fest coming out of the Obama campaign. 

This would only be swift-boating if 50 of the 52 highest ranking-still living employees of Bain (while Romney was there) ran an ad at their own expense testifying to something (negative and true) about Romney.  That isn't what this is, obviously.

Progressive
jro660

« Reply #184 on: July 13, 2012, 12:33:34 PM »

Discuss: Mike Huckabee

Has he denied possible VP talk? The guy is pretty likeable, has the experience, would please conservatives, and isn't a bad debator. Other than the pardons, what we be the negatives of a Romney/Huckabee ticket?

Huckabee is no longer a politican, he's a TV show host a la Bill O'Reilly...I am a Democrat but always liked Huckabee's style and found him honest.

Huckabee would have wiped floor w/ Romney this year.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #185 on: July 13, 2012, 01:45:43 PM »

Huckabee would have wiped floor w/ Romney this year.
...could have done serious damage in/to the primary.  I don't think he would have a chance in the GE, so I respect him for sparing us from both of those disasters.   
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #186 on: July 13, 2012, 11:00:09 PM »

Huckabee is old news. He'd be good on TV obviously, he'd satisfy social conservatives, but would bring up economic conservative troubles. Plus there's the hypocrisy of live a healthy life oh look I gained all my weight back since 08.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #187 on: July 14, 2012, 06:06:53 PM »

Huckabee is old news. He'd be good on TV obviously, he'd satisfy social conservatives, but would bring up economic conservative troubles. Plus there's the hypocrisy of live a healthy life oh look I gained all my weight back since 08.
Most of the people who'd have a problem with economic issues are Tea Party, and a lot of them already seem to like him.

He has less downsides, I think, then a lot of the others.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #188 on: July 16, 2012, 11:31:59 AM »

Doesn't it make sense...that Mitt Romney wants to have a surprise VP pick to get some positive/focused news coverage on his campaign?

It obviously isn't Condi Rice, that was done to draw fascination, and now the talks of Pawlenty, I think that's done to draw some speculation, but now I think it won't be him. I remember McCain had his Tom Ridge moment, Tim Pawlenty moment, even Mitt Romney moment.

I think it's going to be a woman...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #189 on: July 16, 2012, 11:36:27 AM »

Doesn't it make sense...that Mitt Romney wants to have a surprise VP pick to get some positive/focused news coverage on his campaign?

It obviously isn't Condi Rice, that was done to draw fascination, and now the talks of Pawlenty, I think that's done to draw some speculation, but now I think it won't be him. I remember McCain had his Tom Ridge moment, Tim Pawlenty moment, even Mitt Romney moment.

I think it's going to be a woman...

We're thinking the same way. I think Romney is deliberately false-flagging to different outlets- Pawlenty to NYT/Race42012/Drudge, Jindal to WSJ/WaPo. Portman's buzz has died down a bit, so has Ryan's. It's like musical chairs- whoever's name is last floated won't be picked.

*The fact that Drudge has bannered the NYT article, after the Rice stuff last week and what we know about Drudge coordinating with Boston furthers my suspicion Pawlenty is a false-flag.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #190 on: July 16, 2012, 12:04:14 PM »

So he's going to end up going with a surprise/safe pick? This is weird. It's also getting kind of exciting. I still hope it'll be Ryan.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #191 on: July 16, 2012, 12:19:07 PM »

I think it's going to be someone like Marsha Blackburn or Cathy McMorris-Rodgers. They won't upstage Romney and the public doesn't know too much about them. As far as I know, they don't have major skeletons in their closet so public fascination onto them shouldn't be damaging...?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #192 on: July 16, 2012, 12:21:58 PM »

So he's going to end up going with a surprise/safe pick? This is weird. It's also getting kind of exciting. I still hope it'll be Ryan.

I'm quite confident that whoever gets the last round of buzz won't be it.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #193 on: July 16, 2012, 12:30:22 PM »

I think it's going to be someone like Marsha Blackburn or Cathy McMorris-Rodgers. They won't upstage Romney and the public doesn't know too much about them. As far as I know, they don't have major skeletons in their closet so public fascination onto them shouldn't be damaging...?

No, just no.

On the personality thing: Romney doesn't want a) yes-men (Bob McDonnell) b) people who don't click (Rob Portman) or people who forget who's in charge (Chris Christie). For all we know Blackburn and CMR do have skeletons because they've never had a media spotlight shone on them. That's what happened to Palin. You want someone who's been publicly vetted, which all the shortlisters (Portman/Pawlenty/Ryan IMO) have.
t_host1

« Reply #194 on: July 16, 2012, 04:47:31 PM »
« Edited: July 16, 2012, 04:50:21 PM by t_host1 »

Gingrich… why?
Easily could be president, knowing the territory physically and literal, if, the unforeseen were to happen.

The buss would be deafening with, WTF! For awhile…

Biden speak would be chump change.

The best reason, they both have been planning preparing for it for a long time, even though their paths are of a different charter.

A good cop-bad cop that is of no acting could accommodated their differences.
[Romney] I spend 50 million dollars to get rid of you, then, I partner with you!!
[Gingrich] Well, you could of asked me if it was a good deal, or not.

“Wish” is a 4 letter word.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #195 on: July 16, 2012, 05:00:57 PM »

Gingrich… why?
Easily could be president, knowing the territory physically and literal, if, the unforeseen were to happen.

The best reason, they both have been planning preparing for it for a long time, even though their paths are of a different charter.

[Romney] I spend 50 million dollars to get rid of you, then, I partner with you!!

Protip: Find a decent online translator.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #196 on: July 16, 2012, 05:09:24 PM »

Gingrich… why?

Wh-
Uh
I...
Um...
what
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #197 on: July 16, 2012, 07:12:21 PM »

Finally, something in this thread worth reading!
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #198 on: July 17, 2012, 10:15:43 AM »

This Pawlenty thing is either a fake out, or he is the pick and it will be announced before the Olympics start.  I think it's a fake out, but he could be announcing the pick before the Olympics. 

I still think it's Portman, Ryan and everyone else. 

I have updated my analysis of McDonnell and improved his grade/ chances.  The climate of the past few months have been good for him.  War on Women crap has fizzled out and Virginia hasn't moved toward the Romney column the way almost every other battleground state has.  He's a Catholic and a veteran.  If you think McDonnell can help you win VA and NC, than all you have left to win is Ohio.

1A) Portman
1B) Ryan
3)   McDonnell
4)   Pawlenty
5)   Rubio
6)   everyone else             
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #199 on: July 17, 2012, 10:27:24 AM »

Would Romney really leak the pick days in advance?

Portman: Doubtful. He's the Bushiest of Bushies not named Bush, plus by most accounts he failed the chem test.

McDonnell: He blew it with his sycophancy/yes-man shtick and publicly campaigning for the job a la John Edwards '04. I said at the time it would come back to haunt him and it did. Last I heard he said he wasn't being vetted.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies