2000 TL blueprint
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:01:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2000 TL blueprint
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2000 TL blueprint  (Read 1431 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2012, 10:19:07 PM »
« edited: May 25, 2012, 08:15:00 AM by Concession Speech Cath »

**This 'aint an actual tl yet, it's a place to jot down notes and dates for the actual timeline. Kay?**

EDIT: I'm re-organizing this. Things are in the process of being moved into a more planned out format on page 2. Due to time constraints, I can't completely do that right now.

January 24th, 2000:
In the race for the Republican nomination, the Alaska and Iowa Caucuses take place. In Alaska, publisher Steve Forbes pulls off a narrow victory (39%) while in Iowa, former Vice President Dan Quayle is able to cement himself as front-runner with a convincing win in the state (41%). The Iowa Democrat Caucus results show an easy win for Vice President Gore.

February 1st, 2000:
In the New Hampshire Democratic Primary, former New Jersey Senator Bill Bradley scores an upset victory over Vice President Al Gore (48-46), turning what was thought to be an easy coronation for Gore into a hard fought primary fight. Meanwhile, on the Republican side, Senator John McCain of Arizona scores his own upset in New Hampshire, winning over Quayle with a surprising 18-point margin (48-30).

February 5th, 2000:
Vice President Al Gore scores a narrow (51-46) victory in the Delaware Democratic Primary

February 8th, 2000:
Three days later, the Delware Republican Primary occurs, and Steve Forbes wins yet again, albeit narrowly between the three candidates (32-30-29).

February 12th, 2000:
Physicist John Hagelin wins the Illinois Reform party straw poll, getting his campaign off to a good start.

February 19th, 2000:
In the South Carolina Republican Primary, Senator John McCain wins a slim victory over Quayle (45-41), who's been suffering problems despite his win in Iowa.

February 22nd, 2000:
The Michigan Reform party primary is held. With little attention being paid to the race, Uncommitted wins by a fairly decent margin over Reform front-runner John Hagelin. Meanwhile, the Republians hold their Arizona primary where favorite son John McCain wins his first truly easy victory of the season (63%). In the Michigan Primary, meanwhile, Dan Quayle scores a narrow victory due to his status as the Mid-Western candidate.

February 29th, 2000:
Al Gore wins yet another victory in the Washington State Democratic primary. However, with Bradley really fighting following his win in New Hampshire and the closeness of Delaware, Gore is kept at 52%. "The Democrats seem to be experiencing their own uprising as the party slowly awakens to reject Al Gore." says one commentator.

The Republican race is kept entertaining as the Virginia and Washington Primaries, and the North Dakota Caucuses, are held. In the two primaries, McCain pulls off two victories (with a surprisingly strong showing for Alan Keys in Washington) while in North Dakota, Quayle proves he's still alive and fighting.

March 7th, 2000:
In the California Reform party primary, Hagelin scores a convincing victory over a slieu of strange and unheard of candidates, including an appearance by former Independent candidate John Anderson. Nevertheless, Hagelin takes over 60% of the vote. Meanwhile, in the party's Missouri Primary, Hagelin wins a large victory (79%) over "Uncommitted" and a number of small candidates. His chief opposition is former Florida Schoolboard Member Chuck Collins.

The two major parties as well face a number of primaries. On the Democratic side of the aisle, Al Gore wins California (58%), George (72%), Missouri (57%), Maryland (51%), Ohio (58%), and New York (62%). However, his principal and only opponent, Bill Bradley, manages to score a number of victories in New England including Connecticut (52%), Maine (61%), Massachusetts (54%), Rhode Island (55%), and Vermont (62%).

Senator John McCain has his day in the Republican primaries, winning California (49%), Connecticut (57%), Georgia (48%), Maryland (52%), Massachusetts (69%), New York (52%), Rhode Island (64%), and Vermont (66%). Quayle wins Minnesota (57%), Missouri (53%), Ohio (50%), and Washington (47%). In a surprise, Steve Forbes wins the Maine Primary with a plurality of the vote (38%).

March 10th, 2000:
Following Super Tuesday, it's clear that Gore is not alone in the race, and today, that is made clear once more. In the Colorado Primary, Bradley scores his first victory outside of New England where he gets 52% of the vote. In Utah however, Gore wins yet another state, and this by over 60%. For Republicans, McCain easily wins Colorado with over 50% of the vote while Quayle polls strongly in the very Conservative Utah (67%).

March 11th, 2000:
Vice President Al Gore wins the Arizona Democratic Caucus by a slim margin.

March 14th, 2000:
In the race for the Democrat nomination, Al Gore sweeps today's primaries as they are all located in the South, where Bradley is least likely to win. With that, the Democratic establishment, already vocally against Bradley's candidacy, up their calls for Bradley to exit the race, claiming his presence divides the party.

The Republican division continues, however, with McCain winning Florida (52%), Tennessee (55%), and Texas (48%) in an upset. The Quayle campaign privately blames their last chance on Forbes, who took around 4% of the vote, enough to have put Quayle over the top in a state he was favored to win. Quayle walks away instead with victories in Louisiana (56%), Mississippi (63%), and Oklahoma (67%). Quayle consults with his campaign team and it is decided: if, on April 4th, he fails to win both Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, he'll drop out. Between then, however, Quayle intends on taking the region advantage in both of those states and Illinois--where he is down in the polls--in order to salvage victory from all this.

March 21st, 2000:
Following his failure to win the Illinois primary (54-46), Senator Bill Bradley exits the race for the Democratic nomination. However, he does not endorse presumptive nominee and Vice President Al Gore. Instead, he claims that unless the party capitulates to his demands, his supporters shall likely "find room elsewhere" for their views. Bradley has already upset Democratic unity with his unexpected victories and now he may yet again upset it. In the same state, a Republican contender is seeing the same fate, as Dan Quayle loses Illinois 52-46. However, Quayle at least sees Steve Forbes drop out, much to his relief. "That man has long overstayed his welcome in this race." he says privately.

April 4th, 2000:
The Republicans are the only major party to still have a race going on. In the Pennsylvania and Wisconsin primaries, McCain scores dual victories. While Pennsylvania was easily called (56-44), Wisconsin took a bit longer to call, but resulted in a 52-48 victory for the Arizona Senator. Following that, former Vice President Dan Quayle announces his withdrawal from the race and his hearty endorsement of McCain.

June 6th, 2000:
The Montana Reform party primary's Montana primary votes 100% uncommitted.

June 25th, 2000:
Activist Ralph Nader wins the Green Party nomination for President over others including "Dead Kennedys" singer Jello Biafra. Native American activist Winona LaDuke is nominates for Vice President.

July 9th, 2000:
The Vermont Progressive Party votes to endorse Green Party candidate Ralph Nader for President.

July 25th, 2000:
The Constitution Party Vice Presidential nominating convention is held in Missouri. At it, Patrick J. Buchanan of Virginia is nominated for Vice President over activist Joseph Sobran and Washington State Senator Ellen Craswell.

August 11th, 2000:
Physicist John Hagelin is nominated by the Reform and Natural Law parties at a joint convention. Former member of the Minnesota House of Representatives Tim Penny is nominated for Vice President.

August 12th, 2000:
The United Citizens Party of South Carolina endorses Ralph Nader for President.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 10:49:06 PM »

McCain in 2000 means Bush / Powell with better chance to win and economy (and a better-prepped W) to set the stage in 08 than bush gave McCain in otl
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 04:41:29 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2012, 04:44:43 PM by adracman42 »

I can't help but point out:

Edit: 42nd post? 42nd post. Milestone in my book.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 05:49:33 PM »

That and March 7, 2000.  He probably started to type something, had a flash of an idea, wanted to get that down, and forgot to go back to his other stuff.  I'll be the first to admit it happens to me a lot
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 05:51:27 PM »

This is going to be great! I love 2000 timelines Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 06:52:42 PM »

My school computer had to shut down, so I saved and exited.

And as for y'all expecting something great of this, this thread was created so I could put these ideas down, but not have the pressure to necessarily be original or come up with some great timeline all of a sudden. It'll develop, and until then, I don't count myself as working on one. But comment as you like, please.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 07:57:22 PM »

Why is the Constitution Partys Presidential and Vice Presidential nominating conventions so far apart. I think Smith asking Buchanan to be his running mate then and their would be more likely then Buchanan campaigning for the Vice Presidential nomination a few months later.

If you need a few more ideas on who would seek the Republican nomination without Bush, I have a list from a long abandoned timeline, as well as my "Clinton 3rd term" project.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 07:57:58 PM »

Dem. Primary map before Bradley drops out:
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 08:00:03 PM »

Why is the Constitution Partys Presidential and Vice Presidential nominating conventions so far apart. I think Smith asking Buchanan to be his running mate then and their would be more likely then Buchanan campaigning for the Vice Presidential nomination a few months later.

I'm going off info from the website ourcampaigns.com which is pretty much the most reliable site I know for things like the dates of small third party conventions, and there it says their VP convention was held in July.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thanks. Smiley Right now I'm assembling a McCain v. Quayle race with Forbes and maybe Keyes on the side-lines.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 09:54:18 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2012, 10:01:44 PM by Jerseyrules »

I'm going off info from the website ourcampaigns.com which is pretty much the most reliable site I know for things like the dates of small third party conventions, and there it says their VP convention was held in July.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thanks. Smiley Right now I'm assembling a McCain v. Quayle race with Forbes and maybe Keyes on the side-lines.

Keep it coming! Cheesy
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 07:05:46 PM »

Before Quayle dropped out:

Blue-Senator John S. McCain III of Arizona
Red-Former Vice President James Danforth "Dan" Quayle of Indiana
Green-Publisher and Businessman Steve Forbes of New Jersey
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 09:10:22 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2012, 09:22:26 PM by Mr. Morden »

Like I said in another thread, if Bush didn't run in 2000, then you would have had candidates like John Engler, Tommy Thompson, Frank Keating, and possibly one or two other GOP governors would have run (maybe Tom Ridge?).  It would have been the most crowded presidential primary field in modern history.  There were a lot of popular, or at least somewhat popular, second or third term Republican governors at that time*, but all of them passed on running once they saw how formidable the Bush political machine was, and then lined up behind him.  I remember in 1999, Tommy Thompson being asked if there was any chance of him running for president, and he said "No, I have the wrong last name."

*Remember, there was an economic boom in the late 1990s, so quite a few governors of both parties were popular, but the GOP controlled more governorships at that time, especially in the Rust Belt.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 09:32:16 PM »

Like I said in another thread, if Bush didn't run in 2000, then you would have had candidates like John Engler, Tommy Thompson, Frank Keating, and possibly one or two other GOP governors would have run (maybe Tom Ridge?).  It would have been the most crowded presidential primary field in modern history.  There were a lot of popular, or at least somewhat popular, second or third term Republican governors at that time*, but all of them passed on running once they saw how formidable the Bush political machine was, and then lined up behind him.  I remember in 1999, Tommy Thompson being asked if there was any chance of him running for president, and he said "No, I have the wrong last name."

*Remember, there was an economic boom in the late 1990s, so quite a few governors of both parties were popular, but the GOP controlled more governorships at that time, especially in the Rust Belt.

Thanks a lot. (non sarcastically) All that sticks in everyone's, including my own, head for the 2000 GOP primaries is Bush v. McCain. And if not McCain, then Quayle seems like the obvious choice when there was speculation on tons of guys, including the names you mentioned. I'll have to re-think the primaries.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 10:07:36 PM »

I agree with Morden, Frank Keating and Tommy Thompson would definitely run in this scenario, and Elizabeth Dole might survive longer in the primaries as well. With Bush gone, Quayle can remain a strong contender. He was a much better candidate in 1992 compared to 1988, and by 2000, Quayle might be able to shake off his Palinesque image.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 05:05:56 AM »

I don't think there was ever much chance of Quayle shaking off his Palinesque image.  There was little indication that Republicans were warming to him in 1999.  He did finish *eighth place* in the Iowa Straw Poll, and that's for someone who had high name recognition.

But yes, Dole would have stayed in the race longer.  So would Alexander.  Forbes had piles of $ to spend because of his personal fortune.  And of course those other potential candidates already mentioned would have actually run.  It would have been a circus.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 08:51:31 PM »

http://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=243348
This might be of help regarding Quayle.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 07:59:24 AM »

Tales of the Twenty-First Century Blue Print, Pt. 1: Prologue (1998-1999)

November 3rd, 1998:
Governor George W. Bush of Texas wins re-election with 68% of the vote. At the victory celebration, Texas Speaker of the House James "Pete" Laney (himself a Democrat), makes a toast to "the next President of the United States, George W. Bush". However, Laney will never see this come true.

March 6th, 1999:
Former Secretary of Education and Tennessee Governor, Republican Lamar Alexander announces his candidacy for President of the United States. Despite his poor showing four years previous, he hopes that this time he can make it.

April 1st, 1999:
Former Vice President Dan Quayle of Indiana announce his candidacy for the Republican nomination, saying "we do not want another candidate that needs on-the-job training, implying that his opponents lack experience.

June 6th, 1999:
Texas Governor George W. Bush officially declines to enter the Republican field for President of the United States, citing "I was elected to take care of Texas, and I plan on doing just that."

September 6th, 1999:
The U.S. Taxpayer's Party National Convention nominates New Hampshire Senator Robert C. Smith for President. As well, they also vote to change their name to the Constitution Party.

September 27th, 1999:
Senator John S. McCain III of Arizona announces that he too shall enter the race for the Republican nomination, claiming that he is waging "a fight to take our government back from the power brokers and special interests, and return it to the people and the noble cause of freedom it was created to serve".

October 18th, 1999:
Television commentator, conservative activist, and former White House Communications Director Patrick J. Buchanan announces he's dropping out of the race for the Republican nomination. Instead, "I am now seeking the nomination for Vice President on the Constitution party ticket. They've already nominated a good man, Senator Robert C. Smith of New Hampshire, and they have the best chance of beating this beltway party, the Republicans!"
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 08:14:11 AM »
« Edited: May 25, 2012, 05:31:31 PM by Concession Speech Cath »

Tales of the Twenty-First Century Blue Print, Pt. 2: The Primaries (Jan. 2000-June 2000)

January 24th, 2000:
Democratic: Iowa Caucuses
Republican: Alaska and Iowa Caucuses

February 1st, 2000:
Democratic: New Hampshire Primary
Republican: New Hampshire Primary

February 5th, 2000:
Democratic: Delaware Primary

February 8th, 2000:
Republican: Delaware Primary

February 12th, 2000:
Reform: Illinois Straw Poll

February 19th, 2000:
Republican: South Carolina Primary

February 22nd, 2000:
Republican: Arizona Primary, Michigan Primary
Reform: Michigan Primary

February 29th, 2000:
Democratic: Washington Primary
Republican Virginia Primary, Washington Primary, North Dakota Caucuses

March 7th, 2000:
Democratic: California, Connecticut, Georgia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, Ohio, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont Primaries.
Republican: California, Connecticut, Georgia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, New York, Ohio, Rhode Island, and Vermont Primaries. Minnesota Caucuses
Reform: California and Missouri Primaries

March 10th, 2000:
Democratic: Colorado and Utah Primaries
Republican: Colorado and Utah Primaries, Wyoming Caucus.

March 11th, 2000:
Democratic: Arizona Caucus

March 14th, 2000:
Democratic: Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas Primaries
Republican: Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas Primaries

March 21st, 2000:
Democratic: Illinois Primary
Republican: Illinois Primary

March 25th, 2000:
Democratic: Wyoming Caucus

April 4th, 2000:
Democratic: Pennsylvania and Wisconsin Primaries
Republican:  Pennsylvania and Wisconsin Primaries

April 22nd, 2000:
Democratic: Alaska Caucus

May 2nd, 2000:
Democratic: Indiana, North Carolina, and D.C. Primaries
Republican: Indiana, North Carolina, and D.C. Primaries

June 6th, 2000:
Reform: The Montana Primary votes for presumptive nominee John Hagelin by a large margin.

June 25th, 2000:
Green: Green Party candidate Ralph Nader wins the nomination of the Vermont Progressive Party.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 08:57:35 PM »

Interesting, keep it up
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies