Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 09:17:33 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | |-+  Buddhism
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: Is Buddhism good, bad, or what?
Good   -4 (33.3%)
Bad   -2 (16.7%)
all other answers.   -5 (41.7%)
undecided   -1 (8.3%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: Buddhism  (Read 1962 times)
Quadist
tmcusa2
YaBB God
Sao Tome and Principe

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2012, 05:17:21 pm »
Ignore

Last fall, I started Meditation. My teacher used Buddhist concepts as a structure for meditation.

I have been studying about Buddhism and Buddhist meditation principles, including the four noble truths and now call myself a Buddhist.

What is your opinion of Buddhism?

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 05:53:59 pm »
Ignore

Western Buddhism is very much an artificial, sanitized product that has very little to do with Buddhism as practiced in Asia, particularly Mahayana Buddhism, filled as it is with Chinese Gods, dozens of hells, and Bodhisattvas with comic-book superhero powers.

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
Quadist
tmcusa2
YaBB God
Sao Tome and Principe

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 06:01:06 pm »
Ignore

I am interested in what the Buddha himself taught. It is my understanding that Buddhism is all about the four noble truths.

Long titles annoy me
The Obamanation
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 09:42:43 pm »
Ignore

^^ I'm assuming Western Buddhism is that hippie stuff, right?

I imagine hyphenation, for both spouses, as a sort of custom would very quickly make us all sound like a bunch of bizarrely named English aristocrats. If Peter Flynn marries Beatrice Mendez and has a kid named Anthony, who in turn marries Alice Glazowski-Chanut, their kid would be named Colin Mendez-Flynn-Glazowski-Chanut, who would then marry Beth Harper-Zhang-Rothman-Wald, and their kid would be named...
black and white band photos
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 10:01:32 pm »
Ignore

One of the pastors at my church was raised in it but rejected it for Christ at age 19.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Judšischen Volksfront
exnaderite
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -8.26

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 04:00:55 am »
Ignore

Western Buddhism is very much an artificial, sanitized product that has very little to do with Buddhism as practiced in Asia, particularly Mahayana Buddhism, filled as it is with Chinese Gods, dozens of hells, and Bodhisattvas with comic-book superhero powers.

This. I cringe every time I see well-to-do white hipsters try to engage in meditation or discuss the dharma, or talk about the Eight Noble Plaths and Four Noble Truths. Most religions are also ways of life whether you like it or not.

asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 04:10:55 am »
Ignore

One of the pastors at my church was raised in it but rejected it for Christ at age 19.

You don't strictly speaking have to 'reject' many of the core conceits of Buddhism for Christ, but Buddhism as practiced traditionally is a lot more than just said core conceits, as Mikado said.

I am curious, though, as to whether your pastor was raised in a legit Buddhist tradition or the anodyne Western hippie version.

This is why, when my best friend began to feel the need for some sort of spiritual community and looked into Buddhism, I was incredibly heartened when she chose one of the more austere sects rather than hipster pseudo-Zen. Her practice might not be the total package that Mahayana in Asia has to offer but it's compelling and legit compared to what most 'Buddhism' in this country is about.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 04:14:22 am by Nathan »Logged

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 04:37:12 am »
Ignore

If you want to study Buddhism further the Theravada tradition is the more rewarding. It avoids a lot of the superstition of the Mahayana and its focus on the individual salvation is closer to Western thought.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 11:20:52 am by politicus »Logged

There is very little hope that the United States or anyone else can do much to stabilize Iraq, Libya, Syria or Egypt. Stabilizing Iran, and bringing it back into the family of nations, is much more possible. That would be a 'win' for both sides.

Stephen Kinzer
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 05:09:10 am »
Ignore

If you wont to study buddhism further the Theravada tradition is the more rewarding. It avoids a lot of the superstion of the Mahayana and its focus on the individual "salvation" is closer to Western tought.

Agreed that Theravada can be more rewarding to somebody coming to Buddhism from a Western mindset. A lot of the more serious attempts at Buddhism in the West are Theravada; they tend to have fairly respectable people involved or backing them up.

The things that interest me academically and culturally about Buddhism, however, aren't necessarily the avoidance of superstition or focus on individual salvation; the sharp difference of Mahayana-as-practiced from a lot of Western assumptions about religion is a large part of why it appeals to me as a subject of study.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 12:51:41 pm »
Ignore

You don't strictly speaking have to 'reject' many of the core conceits of Buddhism for Christ, but Buddhism as practiced traditionally is a lot more than just said core conceits, as Mikado said.

I am curious, though, as to whether your pastor was raised in a legit Buddhist tradition or the anodyne Western hippie version.

Her family is Vietnamese (immigrated when she was 3), so definitely the former.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 02:44:03 pm »
Ignore

The hippie Michael Stipe version of Buddhism is probably more enjoyable than actual Buddhism, which is as full of weirdness and magic as any other religion.

...IMO. Tongue

Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 03:49:09 pm »
Ignore

The hippie Michael Stipe version of Buddhism is probably more enjoyable than actual Buddhism, which is as full of weirdness and magic as any other religion.

...IMO. Tongue

You've accidentally described exactly why the hippie Michael Stipe version is so aggressively irritating to me as an academic East Asianist. Tongue

oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 04:06:11 pm »
Ignore

You clearly don't understand Buddhism, Nathan. I suggest you Google the Four Noble Truths.

We are all but flickering candles, and our ultimate goal must be... to put the candle out.

Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 04:18:54 pm »
Ignore

You clearly don't understand Buddhism, Nathan. I suggest you Google the Four Noble Truths.

We are all but flickering candles, and our ultimate goal must be... to put the candle out.

This is pitch-perfect, Oakvale. I feel like I'm back at certain meditation centers in Vermont.

oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 04:24:07 pm »
Ignore

This is pitch-perfect, Oakvale. I feel like I'm back at certain meditation centers in Vermont.

Thanks! I'd love to continue this but I've got to light a candle and peace out to Brian Eno records.

Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 04:27:06 pm »
Ignore

Thanks! I'd love to continue this but I've got to light a candle and peace out to Brian Eno records.

Cool, see you after my master whacks me over the head with an Enlightenment Stick and I make preparations for this year's Tanabata and Obon fires.

Long titles annoy me
The Obamanation
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 04:38:46 pm »
Ignore

Since there's no diety in Buddhism, are Buddhists atheists?

I imagine hyphenation, for both spouses, as a sort of custom would very quickly make us all sound like a bunch of bizarrely named English aristocrats. If Peter Flynn marries Beatrice Mendez and has a kid named Anthony, who in turn marries Alice Glazowski-Chanut, their kid would be named Colin Mendez-Flynn-Glazowski-Chanut, who would then marry Beth Harper-Zhang-Rothman-Wald, and their kid would be named...
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 04:44:25 pm »
Ignore

Since there's no diety in Buddhism, are Buddhists atheists?

Short answer: That's not a relevant question.

Long answer: There is emphatically not 'no deity in Buddhism'. There are no deities necessary for the core of Buddhist teaching to hold or be workable. There are a sh**tload of deities in every conceivable configuration and at almost every level of being looking at all forms of Buddhism as a group, and anywhere from a sizable fraction of that sh**tload down to none of importance when looking at specific sects. In this way Buddhism is transtheistic, since the question of deities' existence is treated as an ancillary concern. Classifying it as atheism is a Western conceit (in both senses of 'conceit'), similar to how it's fashionable to say that East Asian societies aren't religious.

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 05:08:49 pm »
Ignore

Cool, see you after my master whacks me over the head with an Enlightenment Stick and I make preparations for this year's Tanabata and Obon fires.

Do you think this year Vega and Altair will actually meet?  It's so sad that they end up separated every year.  Sad

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 06:24:22 pm »
Ignore

Do you think this year Vega and Altair will actually meet?  It's so sad that they end up separated every year.  Sad

I certainly hope so. If only Tentei wasn't such a jerkwad...

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 10:22:51 pm »
Ignore

Her family is Vietnamese (immigrated when she was 3), so definitely the former.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.  Vietnamese Buddhism is itself fairly syncretic.

My November ballot:
Ervin(I) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Herbert(D) Comptroller Gen.
Spearman(R) Supt. of Education
DeFelice(American) Commissioner of Agriculture
Hutto(D) US Sen (full)
Scott(R) US Sen (special)
Geddings(Labor) US House SC-2
Quinn(R) SC House District 69
Yes: Amendment 1 (Gen. Assembly may allow and regulate charity raffles)
No: Amendment 2 (end election of the Adjutant General)
afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -8.17

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 06:39:03 am »
Ignore

Last fall, I started Meditation. My teacher used Buddhist concepts as a structure for meditation.

I have been studying about Buddhism and Buddhist meditation principles, including the four noble truths and now call myself a Buddhist.

What is your opinion of Buddhism?

Goodness, it's been a while. How are you?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 10:29:30 am »
Ignore

This. I cringe every time I see well-to-do white hipsters try to engage in meditation or discuss the dharma, or talk about the Eight Noble Plaths and Four Noble Truths. Most religions are also ways of life whether you like it or not.

Everyone invents their own god. So why cringe?

Keith R Laws ‏@Keith_Laws  Feb 4
As I have noted before 'paradigm shift' is an anagram of 'grasp dim faith'

Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 08:25:08 pm »
Ignore

Because well-to-do white hipsters have crappy taste in gods.

BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 09:42:59 pm »
Ignore

Because well-to-do white hipsters have crappy taste in gods.

What about the ones at my church?

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout