Homebuilders are busy once again in Las Vegas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:24:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Homebuilders are busy once again in Las Vegas
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Homebuilders are busy once again in Las Vegas  (Read 3260 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2012, 12:01:00 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 12:27:09 AM »

5 congressional districts, here we come!  Cheesy
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 01:00:13 AM »

This is not good.

A) Which sicko wants to live in a desert ?

B) Aren't they running out of water there at some point in the next few years if this growth continues ?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 01:22:49 AM »

Ever been to one?

B) Aren't they running out of water there at some point in the next few years if this growth continues ?

Two feasible solutions have been proposed:

1. A pipeline that feeds from a deeper point in Lake Mead can be constructed, given that the current ones will soon start sucking air if the water levels continue to drop.

2. A pipeline that feeds from the underground water tables upstate can be built.  Expensive, and the rural communities are already manning the trenches in opposition, but I can see this happening in the next few decades anyway.

Also, a law was passed back in 2006 banning new houses from having lawns or gardens that require water to maintain.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 01:53:09 AM »

No, why would I go there ? To get killed by the sun and rattlesnakes ?

1. A pipeline that feeds from a deeper point in Lake Mead can be constructed, given that the current ones will soon start sucking air if the water levels continue to drop.

2. A pipeline that feeds from the underground water tables upstate can be built.  Expensive, and the rural communities are already manning the trenches in opposition, but I can see this happening in the next few decades anyway.

Also, a law was passed back in 2006 banning new houses from having lawns or gardens that require water to maintain.

What about a pipeline from the Pacific Ocean to Las Vegas ?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 04:57:13 AM »

Beside the obvious cost issues, isn't salt water pretty useless?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 09:28:35 AM »

2. A pipeline that feeds from the underground water tables upstate can be built.  Expensive, and the rural communities are already manning the trenches in opposition, but I can see this happening in the next few decades anyway.

Beside the obvious cost issues, isn't salt water pretty useless?

In the gulf countries they are desaltifying the salt water from the Indian Ocean. Maybe that's an option for Las Vegas too (or better desaltify it in CA already). But yeah, the costs of this would probably be massive.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 03:38:30 PM »

This would be incredibly expensive, and desalination would be incredible expensive again. I think a better solution would be to ban green lawns in Phoenix, Tuscon and Las Vegas outside of Public parks.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 11:35:27 AM »

Of course they are, nothing has changed since before the crisis. The market is still vastly skewed towards new development and cities still don't understand zoning or development laws in any way. The old adage I allude to in my signature has turned from generational ignorance to something probably close to a collective memory of a few months. We learn nothing from our mistakes and have no interest in real solutions to problems.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 02:49:43 PM »

Okay, I assume you're just f[inks]ing around now.  Rattlesnakes?  Seriously?

In the gulf countries they are desaltifying the salt water from the Indian Ocean. Maybe that's an option for Las Vegas too (or better desaltify it in CA already). But yeah, the costs of this would probably be massive.

It would be.  That's why I already listed for you the two feasible options under consideration.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 05:41:14 PM »

Conceivably, desalinization might play an indirect role in providing Las Vegas the water it wants.  It might be practical to pipe desalinized water to the Imperial Valley in place of the Colorado River water that now goes there and then have other users take more water further up the Colorado.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 05:50:38 PM »

But why would California build expensive desalinization plants when we can get water from the Colorado already? Unless Nevada and other Colorado river states chipped in, I don't think California will be reducing the amount it takes from the Colorado.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 07:43:55 PM »

Las what? Are you taking about the gigantic automobile slum?

Oh dear, you must have had a bad experience when you visited.  What happened?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 12:06:54 AM »

But why would California build expensive desalinization plants when we can get water from the Colorado already? Unless Nevada and other Colorado river states chipped in, I don't think California will be reducing the amount it takes from the Colorado.

Agreed, but the scheme I laid out could conceivably be the least expensive scheme for the upstream users to get more water.

Also California may need to do that anyway.  The Colorado is horrendously overdrawn already.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 10:35:12 PM »

This is not good.

A) Me.  I'd love to live there.  LOW humidity and sitting by the pool at 90 degrees with a 5% humidity is awesome.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 10:53:45 PM »

This is not good.

A) Me.  I'd love to live there.  LOW humidity and sitting by the pool at 90 degrees with a 5% humidity is awesome.

You can have humidity that low?  As a resident of South Carolina's 2nd Congressional District, I say that "You Lie!"
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 02:36:20 AM »

This is not good.

You can have humidity that low?  As a resident of South Carolina's 2nd Congressional District, I say that "You Lie!"

Chapped lips, guys.  Chapped lips and premature wrinkling.

As for the subject of the thread - it is really astounding that they are building homes again.  I would have thought the only homes to be built nowadays would be for the very high-end luxury market - say at least 800,000-1,000,000 dollar plus houses (double that for CA, etc.).  This income bracket is doing well as is this housing bracket.  But everything below is sheer deflation.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 12:34:25 PM »

This is not good.

As for the subject of the thread - it is really astounding that they are building homes again.  I would have thought the only homes to be built nowadays would be for the very high-end luxury market - say at least 800,000-1,000,000 dollar plus houses (double that for CA, etc.).  This income bracket is doing well as is this housing bracket.  But everything below is sheer deflation.

Upper middle class neighborhoods in Socal are in rather pronounced price upswing at the moment actually. I even see signs of life out in the desert in those gated golfing communities. Indio however is still prostrate.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 08:17:06 PM »

This is not good.

A) I could never live in a desert. I live in Cleveland and I would rather it rain/snow more.

B) Yes, but there're ways to fix that, as JR detailed.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 05:48:38 AM »

I would have thought the only homes to be built nowadays would be for the very high-end luxury market - say at least 800,000-1,000,000 dollar plus houses (double that for CA, etc.).  This income bracket is doing well as is this housing bracket.  But everything below is sheer deflation.

Upper middle class neighborhoods in Socal are in rather pronounced price upswing at the moment actually. I even see signs of life out in the desert in those gated golfing communities. Indio however is still prostrate.

I don't know 'Indio' but I would assume it is the area out in the Eastern part of the LA metro.  But when you say 'upper middle class' in Socal what is the price range?  Does that designation fit my $1.6-2 million conjecture above?
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 09:07:03 AM »

I would have thought the only homes to be built nowadays would be for the very high-end luxury market - say at least 800,000-1,000,000 dollar plus houses (double that for CA, etc.).  This income bracket is doing well as is this housing bracket.  But everything below is sheer deflation.

I don't know 'Indio' but I would assume it is the area out in the Eastern part of the LA metro.  But when you say 'upper middle class' in Socal what is the price range?  Does that designation fit my $1.6-2 million conjecture above?

Oh, areas where lower end houses are around 750K or so might be near the break point as a guess. It is amazing to look at an LA County map. The areas with appreciation are very tightly correlated with chic.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 01:18:41 PM »

I would have thought the only homes to be built nowadays would be for the very high-end luxury market - say at least 800,000-1,000,000 dollar plus houses (double that for CA, etc.).  This income bracket is doing well as is this housing bracket.  But everything below is sheer deflation.

I don't know 'Indio' but I would assume it is the area out in the Eastern part of the LA metro.  But when you say 'upper middle class' in Socal what is the price range?  Does that designation fit my $1.6-2 million conjecture above?

Indio
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2012, 02:32:59 PM »

Oh, areas where lower end houses are around 750K or so might be near the break point as a guess. It is amazing to look at an LA County map. The areas with appreciation are very tightly correlated with chic.

Where are you seeing this map of price changes?
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 03:29:45 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2012, 03:32:04 PM by Torie »

I would have thought the only homes to be built nowadays would be for the very high-end luxury market - say at least 800,000-1,000,000 dollar plus houses (double that for CA, etc.).  This income bracket is doing well as is this housing bracket.  But everything below is sheer deflation.

I don't know 'Indio' but I would assume it is the area out in the Eastern part of the LA metro.  But when you say 'upper middle class' in Socal what is the price range?  Does that designation fit my $1.6-2 million conjecture above?

Where are you seeing this map of price changes?

Here is a toy you can play with.

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 11:26:27 PM »

This is not good.

http://goo.gl/maps/GnIo
Could this be why?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies