Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 11:15:23 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Forum Community
| |-+  Forum Community (Moderators: afleitch, Bacon King, Badger)
| | |-+  The Averroės Nix Institute of Undergrad Majors
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Poll
Question: Pick as many as apply:
political science   -20 (19.6%)
history   -7 (6.9%)
international relations   -6 (5.9%)
economics   -19 (18.6%)
geography   -3 (2.9%)
other social science   -7 (6.9%)
business   -2 (2%)
biology, other life sciences   -1 (1%)
chemistry   -2 (2%)
physics   -2 (2%)
other natural science   -0 (0%)
engineering   -3 (2.9%)
computer science   -1 (1%)
philosophy   -3 (2.9%)
english   -1 (1%)
other humanities   -3 (2.9%)
education   -1 (1%)
arts   -0 (0%)
math   -5 (4.9%)
OTHER   -8 (7.8%)
UNDECIDED / I'm in high school.   -8 (7.8%)
NONE   -0 (0%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: The Averroės Nix Institute of Undergrad Majors  (Read 2423 times)
Bro-mentum
tomm_86
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2012, 02:08:17 pm »
Ignore

My BA was in Contemporary History & Politics

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2012, 03:42:41 pm »
Ignore

How is that defined?

In practice it just meant that I took Modern modules in 2nd and 3rd year.

Isn't the term "contemporary history" rather oxymoronic?  Tongue

Henri Pirenne rides (somewhat surreally given his main period, but that's not the point) to the rescue, as remembered by Marc Bloch:

I had gone with Henri Pirenne to Stockholm; we had scarcely arrived, when he said to me: 'What shall we go to see first? It seems that there is a new city hall here. Let's start there.' Then, as if to ward off my surprise, he added: 'If I were an antiquarian, I would have eyes only for the old stuff, but I am a historian. Therefore, I love life.'

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2012, 03:56:40 pm »
Ignore

Modern history means modern modules. How helpful!  Thanks for the that nice quote however, from some dude I never heard of. That makes up for your doing like so many do when I depose them - the last thing the deponent wants to do is answer the question, and reveal anything that might be pertinent or useful.  Tongue

Rooney
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2012, 05:27:03 pm »
Ignore

I had a double major of special education and history. I have never been interviewed once for a history teaching position but the saving grace was my endorsement in teaching students with behavior disorders. If anyone here is interested in becoming a teacher do not waste time going into general education as there are zero jobs in it.

Political Matrix:
Economic score: +8.65
Social score: -8.00
Jbrase
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.32, S: -5.74

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2012, 05:33:58 pm »
Ignore

Political Science
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2012, 07:42:20 pm »
Ignore

Radio and Television/Mass Communications

It's technically Radio and TV but in most universities it's called Mass Communications.

"Weezy F Baby and the F is for Phenomenal" - Lil' Wayne

"Look at this photograph/Every time I do it makes me laugh/How did our eyes get so red?/And what the hell is on Joey's head?" - Nickelback
Lasitten
Finland

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2012, 06:47:13 am »
Ignore

I have Human Geography as my major and minor studies are social policy, sosiology, economics and gender studies.

“SIEG HAIL! …Oops, I slipped. I’m drunk.”
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2012, 06:51:49 am »
Ignore

Literature (English) and Philosophy, of course.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Аverroės Nix
Averroės Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2012, 09:01:58 am »
Ignore

I have Human Geography as my major and minor studies are social policy, sosiology, economics and gender studies.

A few more sociology and and econ courses would have strengthened my background significantly. As it is, I never took a course beyond the intro level in either discipline. It's probably my biggest regret as a geography major, especially as I'm interested in heading in a public policy direction with my graduate studies.

PS: I am using my late mother's Facebook account due to the difficulty of changing identities on Facebook. She has yet to complain.
Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2012, 02:16:33 pm »
Ignore

Political Science

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
realisticidealist
YaBB God
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: 4.52

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2012, 06:46:10 pm »
Ignore

Political Science and Mathematical Economics.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."
AkSaber
YaBB God
Seychelles

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2012, 10:06:57 pm »
Ignore

Criminal Justice, so I voted for other social science.
batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2012, 11:32:24 pm »
Ignore

So, how does exactly works a minor-major system, and what someone wishing to have an Architecture graduation would have for undergraduation?

Sad

SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -8.96

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2012, 07:45:50 am »
Ignore

So, how does exactly works a minor-major system, and what someone wishing to have an Architecture graduation would have for undergraduation?

Sad

A major is a subject that you choose to specialize in when you recieve your bachelor's degree. Different professions require different majors (to be a teacher you would major in education, for instance). There are a certain number of classes dealing with the subject that you are required to take and then when you graduate your diploma says you majored in the subject.

Minors are similar to majors in that they have a certain number of required classes that you have to take and your diploma will say you minored in a subject, but the number of classes required is less than required for a major and most professions don't require you to minor in something.
Sometimes colleges will limit the number of majors and minors you can have, sometimes they won't. A lot of people don't minor in anything, and a lot of people with have two or three majors with a minor (or two) in there as well. Everyone has to have a major, but no one has to have a minor.

To answer your specific question, I'd assume you'd major in architecture (probably minor in either interior design or civil engineering or some such thing).

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2012, 11:00:07 am »
Ignore

Philosophy.

Its nice to know there are a few of us here - though the others are apparently Anshiviviki and Gustaf.

But I'm surprised I'm apparently the only 'English Major' on the site.  Reading the great novels, short stories poetry, etc., is a lot better education for a gentleman than learning about economics or politics or how to fix a computer or particle accelerator.  Its not learning Greek or Latin admittedly, but its still pretty good.

Cobbler
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2012, 12:34:18 pm »
Ignore

Computer Science. I was an Economics/Political Science double major, but discovered that I liked programming after taking some classes at the University and decided to pursue CS. It's a heavier workload, but much more enjoyable to me.

Economic score: +2.19
Social score: -5.74
realisticidealist
YaBB God
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: 4.52

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2012, 01:01:17 pm »
Ignore

If I could do it all over again, I'd probably have been an astrophysics or astronautical engineering major...or maybe civil engineering. I really needed the economics though; it helped me rediscover my love of math, but now that I have it, I feel like I should be doing more with it. It doesn't really help that my courses are really easy. Grass is always greener I guess.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."
Pope Kalwejt I of Northeast
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2012, 01:18:12 pm »
Ignore

Arab and islamic studies, full specialization

phk
phknrocket1k
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2012, 03:20:56 pm »
Ignore

Economics and Math

Lasitten
Finland

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2012, 07:08:22 am »
Ignore

I have Human Geography as my major and minor studies are social policy, sociology, economics and gender studies.

A few more sociology and and econ courses would have strengthened my background significantly. As it is, I never took a course beyond the intro level in either discipline. It's probably my biggest regret as a geography major, especially as I'm interested in heading in a public policy direction with my graduate studies.

Yeah, I really think that sociology has strengthened my background on some issues in my major. Now I'm thinking about Border crossing studies, because it's one speciality in my university and it's one possible masters program for me.

“SIEG HAIL! …Oops, I slipped. I’m drunk.”
AkSaber
YaBB God
Seychelles

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2012, 02:49:17 pm »
Ignore

It's funny, but I took some CJ classes from two professors who are not bleeding hearts by any measure. Just by their analysis of the death penalty alone has me rethinking my support for it. I've always been in favor of the DP and thought I always would be. O_O
ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2012, 05:48:57 pm »
Ignore

It's funny, but I took some CJ classes from two professors who are not bleeding hearts by any measure. Just by their analysis of the death penalty alone has me rethinking my support for it. I've always been in favor of the DP and thought I always would be. O_O

Good Smiley

Chief Judicial Officer of the Most Serene Republic of the Midwest, registered in the State of Joy, in Atlasia
Recognized National Treasure of Atlasia
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2012, 06:09:22 am »
Ignore

Join BA (none of that major/minor rubbish here) in History and Anthropology.

Keith R Laws ‏@Keith_Laws  Feb 4
As I have noted before 'paradigm shift' is an anagram of 'grasp dim faith'
Franzl
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2012, 06:42:54 am »
Ignore

On this issue, though, it's not just an American thing (surprisingly). The vast majority of BA programs require minor subjects in Germany as well.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2012, 06:52:33 am »
Ignore

Do you mean 'joint'?  I also did a double degree, but its all just a matter of terminology isn't it? 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout