How will the polls be over the summer?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:03:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  How will the polls be over the summer?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Pro-Obama Pro-Romney?
Pro-Obama-Anti-Romney

Pro-Romney-Anti-Obama

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: How will the polls be over the summer?  (Read 1091 times)
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2012, 02:41:57 AM »

Who will the polls favor over the long hot summer?
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 03:23:37 AM »

I think we will see Obama's approvals improve in the coming months.

The price of gas has dropped and looks set to drop even more. And jobless claims are trending down into the mid 300,000s again, which indicates an improved hiring picture. A summer with negligible gas prices and better job reports will be a first for the administration.

I don't think this will result in anti-Romney polls, but I do expect mild improvement for the president.
milhouse24
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 11:54:48 AM »

Its a good thing gas has dropped to $4 a gallon.  Otherwise it would be bad news for Obama.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 12:29:52 PM »

The best guess is arguably always a continuation of the present pattern, which is a very close race with Obama ever so slightly ahead.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 12:48:39 PM »

Obama always seems to be hit by the summer doldrums. In 2009 it was the continuation of the recession, in 2010 it was the oil spill, and in 2011 it was the debt ceiling debacle.

Right now, I can't foresee any albatross for Obama this summer, but things can happen. And he better hope and pray things get better this summer, because he won't have much time to recover this fall.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 01:00:14 PM »

Probably a slight Obama advantage over Romney.

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 01:15:12 PM »

slight obama lead.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 01:31:24 PM »

Probably a slight Obama advantage over Romney.

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 02:06:58 PM »

Because of the gas price news, I'll go with positive for Obama.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »

Obama will cont have healthy leads in oh nv co and va.
milhouse24
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 09:00:46 PM »

I'm not convinced the economy will get better in 2 months. 

This will hurt Obama. 
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 09:56:25 PM »

Its a good thing gas has dropped to $4 a gallon.  Otherwise it would be bad news for Obama.

I'm not sure what state you are from, but the national average price for gasoline is 3.64 per gallon, which is down around 20 cents from a year ago. It is expected to decrease even further.. and the drop comes at a time when families are enjoying Memorial Day vacation, planning summer budgets, etc.

Anyhow I agree about the above poster's summer doldrums. 2011 was arguably the worst of all. We'll have to see what happens.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 02:47:26 PM »

This will hurt Obama. 
Does the current economic data convince you otherwise?
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 03:12:06 PM »

It's pretty simple. Democrats see the economy as getting better, Republicans see it as getting worse. Views on Obama color peoples' economic picture more than ever before.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »

In this case, however, the facts appear to have a liberal bias.
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 07:05:04 PM »

It's pretty simple. Democrats see the economy as getting better, Republicans see it as getting worse. Views on Obama color peoples' economic picture more than ever before.

Agreed. Ultimately, I think the non-partisan indies out there still want Obama to succeed, because pragmatically speaking we all win if the economy continues to improve. Thats why his approvals are within striking distance of 50% nearly three years into the sluggish recovery.
milhouse24
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 10:49:34 PM »

This will hurt Obama. 

I don't know, what's the rate of unemployment now? 
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2012, 11:02:12 PM »

This will hurt Obama. 

contrary to popular belief, people care more about the direction of the economy than the unemployment rate. Carter was defeated in a landslide and Reagan was reelected in a landslide four years later with unemployment at about the same rate - around 7%

Unemployment from 8% to the low sevens is a lot better than 10%, where it was two years ago.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 11:08:07 PM »

Definitely pro-Romney I'd think. I expect it only to get closer up until the end when Obama jumps out.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 08:02:13 AM »

Marist came out showing obama substantially ahead in ohio. The economy is getting better all the time and gas prices after labor day falls he should get reelected.
milhouse24
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 10:48:31 AM »

This will hurt Obama. 

contrary to popular belief, people care more about the direction of the economy than the unemployment rate. Carter was defeated in a landslide and Reagan was reelected in a landslide four years later with unemployment at about the same rate - around 7%

Unemployment from 8% to the low sevens is a lot better than 10%, where it was two years ago.

You have a vague grasp of facts.  Your facts about carter and reagan are inaccurate.

How are you judging the economy?  Unemployment rate is one of the best economic indicators of people's happiness with the economy. 
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 11:56:44 AM »

This will hurt Obama. 

You have a vague grasp of facts.  Your facts about carter and reagan are inaccurate.

How are you judging the economy?  Unemployment rate is one of the best economic indicators of people's happiness with the economy. 

No, he's right on Carter huge loss and Reagan landslide re-election happened with same unemployment rates; trend matters more.  Unemployment is down 2 points from where it was 2 years ago.  Looks likely come Election Day, Obama will be able to tout 5 million new jobs in past 2.5 years but polls are irrelevant until September when people tune in.  Obama approval and jobs numbers reveal more over summer.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 12:57:38 PM »

This will hurt Obama. 

You're hilarious. There's really not much to grasp. In October to 1980 (right before the election) the unemployment rate was 7.5%. In October of 1984 it was 7.4%

And if you know anything about the economy, you should know that the unemployment rate is a lagging economic indicator. It catches up to the trajectory of a recession. The UE rate usually peaks after a recession has ended and it remains high even after the economy begins to grow again.

In 1980, we were in the middle of a mild recession that brought the rate to 7.5, and in 1984 we were in a recovery that brought it down to 7.4 percent after peaking at 10.8 in late 1982.
milhouse24
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 08:52:12 PM »

This will hurt Obama. 

No, he's right on Carter huge loss and Reagan landslide re-election happened with same unemployment rates; trend matters more.  Unemployment is down 2 points from where it was 2 years ago.  Looks likely come Election Day, Obama will be able to tout 5 million new jobs in past 2.5 years but polls are irrelevant until September when people tune in.  Obama approval and jobs numbers reveal more over summer.
I still think Obama has done a mediocre job with the economy.  He's been okay but not great, but the times are difficult.  It just appears to me he is focused on getting union benefits for everyone like health care, and as everyone knows whether rightly or wrongly, increasing union benefits usually cripple the growth of any company, especially in lean times.  She may be right on the numbers, but Obama's unemployment rate is still very high compared to Carter. 
milhouse24
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 08:54:09 PM »

This will hurt Obama. 

You're hilarious. There's really not much to grasp. In October to 1980 (right before the election) the unemployment rate was 7.5%. In October of 1984 it was 7.4%

And if you know anything about the economy, you should know that the unemployment rate is a lagging economic indicator. It catches up to the trajectory of a recession. The UE rate usually peaks after a recession has ended and it remains high even after the economy begins to grow again.

In 1980, we were in the middle of a mild recession that brought the rate to 7.5, and in 1984 we were in a recovery that brought it down to 7.4 percent after peaking at 10.8 in late 1982.

So if Obama wants to get re-elected, he has to bring the unemployment rate from 10.8 to 7.4?  I don't know if that is possible. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies