What is your plan for peace between Israel and Palestine? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:23:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What is your plan for peace between Israel and Palestine? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is your plan for peace between Israel and Palestine?  (Read 8159 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 27, 2012, 11:25:20 AM »

The only way I see to make peace last is to bring in a powerful and more importantly, respected, third party to keep a foot on the throat of Hamas (and the rest of the terrorists) for a decade or so while building up the economy of Gaza and the West Bank.  The world/UN can fit the bill in gold, but the powerful/respected third party is going to pay the price in blood, which is why it will probably never get done.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 01:01:20 PM »

only US/Israel stand in the way of the global consensus for a return, roughly, to the pre-67 borders.  much like US/South Africa stood together in the Reagan years, once Israel is isolated completely on the world stage, the natural processes will be allowed to occur.
You are answering a different question.  The question asked is what would bring peace, not what the world community thinks is fair.  Getting everybody in the world together to force Israel to accept the pre-67 borders wouldn't give us peace.  The only thing that will give the region peace is neutering the terrorists, your plan would only embolden them.
Personally, I prefer the one-state solution, but the Israelis would never accept it...
again, that would not bring peace.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 01:47:54 PM »

Thanks for playing!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 04:38:45 PM »

Why should the Palestinians be barred from having a military?

Because the Israelis get their knickers in a twist over the idea of a Palestinian army on their borders. There was something in the Palestine Papers where the Israelis were saying that they would never allow a Palestine with a military that had offensive capabilities and wanted to keep IDF soldiers stationed in the new Palestine, and what I said was one of the proposed compromises. Neither side likes it of course, but then again neither side likes anything but completely getting their way.

Here's an article about it on Al Jazzera: http://www.aljazeera.com/palestinepapers/2011/01/201112512170239319.html
I'm one of the more pro-Israel people here, but I think it's a bad idea to not let the potential Palestinian state have a military.  How else are they going to keep a boot on the neck of the terrorists inside their own borders?  They shouldn't have to rely, at least not long term, on outside forces to do it.  Nor should outside forces be perpetually obliged to pay for it in blood and coin.
I'm sure they are, in the sense that they are willing to kill or injure civilians in order to achieve a political aim; but by this simply definition the US is the world's leading terror state, willing to kill, rape, maim, and destroy on a scale heretofore unknown in human history, and Israel is a most important junior partner in the ongoing genocide.  the poor fkers you just linked to in their wildest dreams will never do the damage of the Pentagon.
The current western Armies are better at keeping collateral damage to a bare minimum than anybody else now or ever.  Your hyperbole shows your bias.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 05:52:38 PM »

No, Vosem. The only reason you're free to criticize the U.S. government and such is because you or I or anyone else on our own isn't enough to be a threat. If there was, all your "liberties" would be taken away pretty damn quickly.
Unless you're in the UK, where saying something funny about a black guy can get you two months in jail and kicked out of college.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 08:06:00 AM »

I think fairness and peace is more important than making sure both sides are equal in happiness (or unhappiness).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 05:59:46 AM »

subtle
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies