Anyone else feel this way? (Abortion) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:33:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Anyone else feel this way? (Abortion) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anyone else feel this way? (Abortion)  (Read 2390 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: May 28, 2012, 07:01:43 PM »

I think the rape exception comes down to property right, the idea being that the original justification for legal abortion is that you have the ultimate right over your own body and what it is used for. However, you can say that when you engage in sex, then you are implicitly surrendering your body to the possibility of nine month's pregnancy in the case of women [and possibly 18 years of child support payments at minimum in the case of men], and hence surrender this right. However, that doesn't apply in the case of rape because you never voluntarily surrendered the right.

O/c, that's not my position, but it is a logically consistent one in theory. It's not totally irrational. In the case of incest I can't address.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 01:15:52 AM »

Right; I'm not arguing against your position, which is a perfectly consistent position. I'm just saying that there is also a possible internal logic to the rape exception (not that most people who support the rape exception necessarily do so for logical reasons). If you believe that a woman's surrender of the right to her womb occurs when the woman voluntarily engages in intercourse, which is known to carry a risk of pregnancy, then she didn't surrender that in the case of rape.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies