Anyone else feel this way? (Abortion) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:34:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Anyone else feel this way? (Abortion) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anyone else feel this way? (Abortion)  (Read 2398 times)
batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

« on: May 28, 2012, 01:31:55 AM »

That's clearly a side of pro-life politics that inherits strong from women submission cultural traits. But, I wouldn't call a foetus with an already formed brain a tape worm. Actually, the definition of human life's beginning is a definitive issue on this debate. But, once it's clear the development is in a phase that's not a human being there yet, denying a woman her right to decide if she want or not go on, whatever her reasoning is, is such an obvious authoritarian control over her life I wonder why so many nonreligious people is pro-life.
BTW, probably many of you never followed an abortion situation. I'll tell you, there's absolutely no easiness, and I know very few women who would choose to do It. With the share of those who would repeat reaching null.
batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 03:55:27 PM »

I consider myself to be atypical on the abortion issue myself.  I have no strong opinion as to when the line should be drawn (i.e., at this stage of development abortion should be legal but at the next stage it should not be legal) but I am strongly opposed to the exceptions for rape and incest that some favor. To me the central question in the abortion issue is "Are we talking about a human life yet?" If we are, then abortion should generally be illegal save where the physical health of the mother is at stake and if we aren't, then the state should butt out. However, the fact that the physiological father of the child is a reprehensible criminal does not affect whether a human life is what is being considered.
I don't think you understand what its doing to a woman having to carry her rapists child. This is an extreme cruelty towards the victim of a violent crime and has severe mental consequences. Its basically a choice between ruining one humans life or destroying another life. In this context its fair and reasonable to choose the individual that's already born over the fetus.

In short: Giving birth to a child conceived by rape and/or incest very much affects the mother mental health, and why should that be any less important than her physical health? The consequences can certainly be just as severe.

This. To go through a pregnancy and not having a child you can raise in the end is not as destructible, but It's still some kind of cruelty, also. The case for anencephaly must come from people who got anencephalous throughout life.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies