Is this hypocritical?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:41:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is this hypocritical?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: See below
Yes

No

LOL WUT

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Is this hypocritical?  (Read 3135 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 10:07:30 PM »

That's basically the Appeal to Tradition fallacy. Now it's harmless, but I do see it as pretty silly regardless. Mind you I kind of feel the same way about making babies wear anything besides what's most practical, the babies aren't going to care regardless. I recall the discussion my mom, aunt and grandmother had about how some friend of my mom's was talking about wanting to buy $70 dresses for her baby but couldn't afford them and she'd probably outgrow them in just 3 months anyway...

I should point out that dress in adult baptisms is always done in a purely practical manner, hence me cutting off my jeans below the knee that were already excessively holey the night before, and the girl afterwards being in a tank top and sweatpants. And none of the babies being dedicated, even the females, in ridiculous elaborate dresses.

That's because adults are old enough to fight off the evil spirits. Yeah, it doesn't make much sense, but it's a harmless tradition that people don't mind, so why mess with it? I wouldn't think that your church would have the babies wear the gowns anyways though; yours seems less traditional on that (I think I saw something about people going there in band shirts), so I would assume they wouldn't have such gowns.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 01:16:49 AM »

When do you guys have IRC sessions?  Same place as earlier in the year, right?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 01:30:14 AM »

That's basically the Appeal to Tradition fallacy. Now it's harmless, but I do see it as pretty silly regardless. Mind you I kind of feel the same way about making babies wear anything besides what's most practical, the babies aren't going to care regardless. I recall the discussion my mom, aunt and grandmother had about how some friend of my mom's was talking about wanting to buy $70 dresses for her baby but couldn't afford them and she'd probably outgrow them in just 3 months anyway...

I should point out that dress in adult baptisms is always done in a purely practical manner, hence me cutting off my jeans below the knee that were already excessively holey the night before, and the girl afterwards being in a tank top and sweatpants. And none of the babies being dedicated, even the females, in ridiculous elaborate dresses.

That's because adults are old enough to fight off the evil spirits. Yeah, it doesn't make much sense, but it's a harmless tradition that people don't mind, so why mess with it? I wouldn't think that your church would have the babies wear the gowns anyways though; yours seems less traditional on that (I think I saw something about people going there in band shirts), so I would assume they wouldn't have such gowns.

I always assumed it was entirely up to the parents what they wanted their baby to be wearing when baptized (same as basically every situation), and most of those gowns are either specifically bought for the occasion or family hand-me-downs. So if someone at my church wanted to have their baby dedicated in such a gown, there's nothing stopping them.

And yes, I was baptized in a band shirt.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2012, 02:05:24 AM »

When do you guys have IRC sessions?  Same place as earlier in the year, right?

Look for someone to post in the IRC thread stickied on the top of this board whenever a big session is going on, but there's usually people chatting most nights (US time).
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 05:57:57 AM »

I always assumed it was entirely up to the parents what they wanted their baby to be wearing when baptized (same as basically every situation), and most of those gowns are either specifically bought for the occasion or family hand-me-downs. So if someone at my church wanted to have their baby dedicated in such a gown, there's nothing stopping them.

And yes, I was baptized in a band shirt.

They are typically specially for the occasion, and there really is nothing saying you have to or don't have to, but I'd guess at yours it'd seem kinda out of place and too formal, and at a few others everyone dresses their baby in a gown and it'd seem kinda out of place to not have the baby in the gown. It really just depends on the denomination, or even individual church.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2012, 01:16:20 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2012, 01:21:15 PM by The Grass Withers and its Flower Falls »

In the program today:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Cheesy
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies