Which state legislatures will flip control in the 2012 elections? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:09:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Which state legislatures will flip control in the 2012 elections? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which state legislatures will flip control in the 2012 elections?  (Read 9229 times)
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« on: May 29, 2012, 06:40:21 AM »
« edited: May 29, 2012, 11:25:14 AM by greenforest32 »

The current partisan control of state legislatures following the 2010, 2011 elections: http://www.ncsl.org/legislatures-elections/elections/statevote-2011.aspx

Lots of gerrymanders have gone through but for shifts in control I could see:

Legislature flips to Democrats - Seems likely for Democrats to win Colorado, Oregon, Minnesota, and Maine. Iowa and New Hampshire might be possible too. There's also New York but I've heard the state senate gerrymander makes it unlikely?

Legislature flips to Republicans - I think they have shots in Alaska, Arkansas, and Kentucky.

Legislature flips to split - Don't see many chambers flipping outside of Michigan, Wisconsin (already split 16-16 in its senate following the recalls and more are coming up), and Indiana but I'm not familiar with these redistrictings. Were they redrawn anything like the maps for Ohio, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina that have likely given Republicans control for 10 years in those states?

What do you think? And what actually happens in Nebraska's non-partisan, unicameral legislature? Tongue
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 12:07:06 PM »

Yeah, now that I look at the partisan distribution trend of the KY legislature, a 2012 flip does look unlikely: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_party_strength_in_Kentucky

I wasn't really sure about Arizona either. Was the 2000 census round of redistricting there heavily favored to Republicans (R-trifecta?) to the point that the maps the AZ redistricting commission passed gives Democrats a chance in either/both chambers this year?
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 11:03:44 PM »

What about the Wisconsin House? What are the new state legislature maps like there?
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 01:14:25 AM »
« Edited: August 23, 2012, 04:07:26 AM by greenforest32 »

This is like the first article in months covering the topic: http://www.governing.com/blogs/politics/gov-state-legislature-ratings.html

It's not that in-depth and their prediction map has a stupid layout but I guess it's something.

Never mind about the map, it was a plugin from my web browser messing things up Tongue
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 09:03:46 AM »

The 2010 elections really were do or die for Democrats.  Losing so many state legislatures likely means being in the minority in Congress and in most state legislatures for at least a generation.  That's what Democrats get when they elect a Democratic President who cares more about himself then the party. 

I could see a decade but a generation? There's always the ability to break a gerrymander through split control such as electing a Governor from the opposing party. For example I think Pennsylvania/Michigan Republicans would lose quite a few seats in 2022 if a Democrat won the 2018 gubernatorial election(s) and vetoed the 2020 gerrymander till a court drew the map.

Do agree 2010 was quite painful for Democrats in redistricting. Ohio (if the redistricting initiative fails), North Carolina, Indiana (and probably Wisconsin) are a few new states out of reach due to the new maps.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 07:47:33 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2012, 07:49:04 PM by greenforest32 »

Another article on this though it's not as broad as that last one: http://www.pewstates.org/projects/stateline/headlines/democrats-seeking-comeback-in-state-legislatures-85899415634

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Were the New Hampshire maps like those other states' too?
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 04:06:22 PM »

http://www.pewstates.org/projects/stateline/headlines/arizona-conservatives-face-triple-threat-85899419570

I could see the state legislature flipping sometime this decade. I don't think 2012 will be the year but November could be surprising in Arizona. Republicans will lose their 2/3 super-majority at the least.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 10:07:20 PM »

The answers so far: http://www.ncsl.org/legislatures-elections/elections/statevote.aspx

Legislature flips to Democrats (5) - Colorado (H), Oregon (H), Minnesota (H, S), Maine (H, S), New York (S).

Legislature flips to Republicans (2, 3 if you count WI's recalls) - Alaska (S), Arkansas (H, S), Wisconsin (S).

Legislature flips to split (1) - New Hampshire (H).

Projected post-2012 results partisan control map:

greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 10:53:40 PM »

Awesome, Minnesota flipped back! That means we won't see the anti-gay marriage amendment again in 2013 or 2014, when IMO it would have a much better chance of passing (due to different turnout models in off years).

Also, NY Senate is not at all certain yet. Democrats won one race by only 140 votes, so that might change. The Democrat who defeated David Storobin has threatened to caucus with Republicans if he doesn't get a bunch of pretty unreasonable socially conservative demands. Plus it's always possible to buy someone off, like the Republicans did with Pedro Espada and his cohorts a few years ago.

Yeah I've never understood the appeal for the continuation of the cross-chamber (D-House, R-Senate) gerrymander in New York. Cuomo's probably not happy with a Democratic legislature either after that redistricting 'compromise'.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 04:11:38 AM »

Wow it looks like California Democrats hit the 2/3 super-majority in both chambers: http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/politics&id=8877762

It'll be even worse for California Republicans when that election-day registration bill kicks in in 2016.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies