Are you a racist if you prefer to live in a mono-ethnic society?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:27:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Are you a racist if you prefer to live in a mono-ethnic society?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Are you a racist if you prefer to live in a mono-ethnic society?
Yes, per definition

Probably, but not necessarily

No

Dunno

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Are you a racist if you prefer to live in a mono-ethnic society?  (Read 5358 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2012, 10:14:28 AM »

I have noticed that most posters consider any defence of ethnic homogenity to be racist. Given that most of you are from highly multiethnic USA with a troubled racial history that's not surprising.

But given that many Asian and European societies are historically monoethnic or almost monoethnic I personally don't think that's true. You can be against immigration of people from other ethnic groups without necessarily having any feeling of racial superiority or prejudices of people from a different background.

Fx. South Korea is about 99,98% Korean and all Koreans I have met define their national identity as ethnically based and prefer their country to stay that way. Does that make them racist?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 10:31:48 AM »

CHANGE YOUR USERNAME YOU'RE F#CKING UP THE WHOLE BOARD
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 10:37:37 AM »

It's not inherently racist. However, it unavoidably leads to rampant xenophobia, and xenophobia oftentimes turns into racism.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 10:49:51 AM »

It's not inherently racist. However, it unavoidably leads to rampant xenophobia, and xenophobia oftentimes turns into racism.

I wouldn't necessarily say 'unavoidably', but in the case of for example a lot of the anti-immigrant parties in contemporary Europe this sort of thing is definitely the case. It's very easy for an ethnic-based national identity to become dangerously vituperative if perceived to be threatened.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 11:05:48 AM »

I have only one word to you; Switzerland.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 11:24:06 AM »

politicus, people aren't going to call you racist if you stop saying racist things.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 11:50:21 AM »

1. In 2007, it was estimated that over a million people with foreign citizenship were living in South Korea and the number has contiued to increase. It is not '99,98% Korean'. Also, by 2009 11% of marriages in South Korea were between a South Korean and a foreigner. About 25% of South Koreans have adopted Christianity, I doubt they consider Jesus to be Korean, so they put a different-raced deity at the top of their religious life.

2. Yup, a lot of Koreans are racist, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if most were.

3. What is politcus's weird obsession with the CCP?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 11:55:27 AM »

TBF, they are criminals.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 11:55:33 AM »

1. In 2007, it was estimated that over a million people with foreign citizenship were living in South Korea and the number has contiued to increase. It is not '99,98% Korean'. Also, by 2009 11% of marriages in South Korea were between a South Korean and a foreigner. About 25% of South Koreans have adopted Christianity, I doubt they consider Jesus to be Korean, so they put a different-raced deity at the top of their religious life.

1. Japan is a far better illustration of politicus's point. There are plenty of foreigners living there but ethnic basis for citizenship approaches (though doesn't quite reach) 100%.  And Christianity's position in Japan is just weird--it's overwhelmingly considered an upper-class religion, for example.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 11:59:23 AM »

TBF, they are criminals.

By whose authority?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I was about to say Japan. The resistance to foreigners in Japan seems unusually strong even for an East Asian country. I don't know how much of that has to do with them being historically the most successful country in the region.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 12:04:41 PM »

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, to begin with.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 12:09:09 PM »

TBF, they are criminals.

By whose authority?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I was about to say Japan. The resistance to foreigners in Japan seems unusually strong even for an East Asian country. I don't know how much of that has to do with them being historically the most successful country in the region.

In modern times it goes back to sonnō jōi ('Revere the Emperor! Expel the barbarians!'), which was the impetus for industrializing so as to avoid European spheres of influence. They saw what happened to the Empire of Great Qing, and they were afraid.

It has considerably earlier antecedents in the history of Japanese isolationism, of course.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 12:17:04 PM »

This is a slightly different question in the US than in Europe, since the largest single ethnicity in the US is German-Americans, at only 17% of the population.  "Monoethnic" then can only mean "all-white" here, which adds unfortunate implications.  That said, white people, even of the liberal and "anti-racist" variety, tend to steer clear of "diverse" neighborhoods, so YMMV.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 12:25:48 PM »

By this standard, the US government is criminal.
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 12:34:54 PM »

Yes, it's racist. Why should you care the ethnicity of people around you?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 12:39:21 PM »

Probably, but to an extent which is fairly negligible when compared to the Chinese one.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 12:44:09 PM »

Probably, but to an extent which is fairly negligible when compared to the Chinese one.

The US government has killed a lot more people than the Chinese government over the past 10 years or so.

This is a conversation that really pains me to have, as I do personally prefer the US government, but as far as atrocities the US has recently been worse.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 01:02:43 PM »

I have noticed that most posters consider any defence of ethnic homogenity to be racist. Given that most of you are from highly multiethnic USA with a troubled racial history that's not surprising.

But given that many Asian and European societies are historically monoethnic or almost monoethnic I personally don't think that's true. You can be against immigration of people from other ethnic groups without necessarily having any feeling of racial superiority or prejudices of people from a different background.

Fx. South Korea is about 99,98% Korean and all Koreans I have met define their national identity as ethnically based and prefer their country to stay that way. Does that make them racist?

Personal I don't think it's worth anyones time to bring the issue up, as you can see in this thread the result is hysterics, insults and namecalling, rather than anybody discussing the issue.
I think one of the reasons is the class make up of this board, most people here is young and upper middleclass suburbanites. For such a group there's little effect in living in a diverse neighbourhood. Where such things matters are for less well-off groups like in a working class or mixed working-lower middleclass neighbourhoods, where people are single out because they're the Other. If you rich diversity are a net positive something which set you apart from the pack, it also do so among the poor, there it just make you a prey for unpleasantness.

That's the effect on a individual level. if we look at societies, a diverse society is a less solidaric society, people help people who are like themselves. We see it in USA with the generic welfare queen (Black of course in people's imagination), of course we also see it in Europe with the growth of xenophobic parties and the general strengthening of the anti-solidaric parties. People are not as willing to pay taxes, if they feel the money goes to the Other. Americans loved the growing welfare state, until Blacks was allowed to partake in it, in the same way in Europe the love of the welfare state has cooled as people feel it more and more goes to immigrant groups.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 02:27:48 PM »

you gotta chill with that display name
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 06:11:52 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2012, 06:13:41 PM by Frodo »

Richius -is that you?  
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 06:12:31 PM »

Spaces work wonders...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 06:27:38 PM »

If you have to ask, then yeah, you probably are.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 06:41:45 PM »

No. For example I have no racial prejudices, but I only find white women attractive. So I would like to live in a society in which everyone is white because I will find more women I'm attracted to.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 06:44:35 PM »

No. For example I have no racial prejudices, but I only find white women attractive. So I would like to live in a society in which everyone is white because I will find more women I'm attracted to.

Most spergin' post ever?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 06:48:11 PM »

Not necessarily but generally and the preference makes little sense to me. Countries with many emigrants, a variety of religions, styles of cuisine, music and art are the best. The trade-off in social solidarity isn't worth giving up what makes organic societies in the 21st century.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies