Kansas now has the most regressive tax law in the country
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:03:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kansas now has the most regressive tax law in the country
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Kansas now has the most regressive tax law in the country  (Read 4314 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2012, 02:54:18 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 02:57:29 PM »

...I...uh...oh, God.

I feel ashamed for Kansas.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 03:01:28 PM »

It's time for Cascadia, California, and New England to secede and let the U.S. just slowly end itself like an obese woman who eats at McDonald's three times a day.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 03:01:47 PM »

But...but JARB CREADORS!
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 03:03:06 PM »

Maybe it was the most regressive passed, but it's not the most regressive on the books (no income tax) which is what they were aiming for:

http://www.pewstates.org/projects/stateline/headlines/kansas-and-oklahoma-income-tax-cuts-wont-reach-zero-85899389000

You must be logged in to read this quote.

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 03:08:36 PM »

This could under some definitions still count as most regressive, since now there are three taxation mechanisms, all regressive.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 03:10:10 PM »

Maybe it was the most regressive passed, but it's not the most regressive on the books (no income tax) which is what they were aiming for:
[/quote]
Doesn't regressive mean that it taxes the poor more than the rich? Zero taxation would affect everyone equally.
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 03:14:14 PM »

...kindly answer me this: how in the blue f[Inks] is taxation only on the poor and middle-class worse than universal zero taxation?
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 03:19:45 PM »

Doesn't regressive mean that it taxes the poor more than the rich? Zero taxation would affect everyone equally.
[/quote]

...kindly answer me this: how in the blue f[Inks] is taxation only on the poor and middle-class worse than universal zero taxation?

It's not just in isolation, there is more than just the income tax. States with no income tax tend to rely on a high sales tax. You can see the chart above for example. Sure Kansas and Oklahoma will drop a bit, but not to the levels of the most regressive scores with states that have no income tax (Washington, Nevada, Florida, etc).

Then there is of course the issue of where spending is cut to pay for these tax cuts. I don't imagine it will be a surprise where they fall, further compounding the impact on the poor.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 03:30:25 PM »

I really can't wait for our resident economic conservatives to come and spin this as a noble endeavor.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 03:32:24 PM »

It's time for Cascadia, California, and New England to secede and let the U.S. just slowly end itself like an obese woman who eats at McDonald's three times a day.
please do
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 03:36:02 PM »

Also saying "there is no limit on the size of business that can be exempt from tax" is incredibly disingenuous; it doesn't apply to limited-liability corporations so by necessity it's only going to apply to small businesses (there's no feasible way of structuring a large business as anything but a limited-liability corporation).
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 03:38:55 PM »

please do

Do you exist on this forum solely to take uninspired, unprovoked non-sequitur potshots at people actually making an effort to be useful?
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 03:41:57 PM »

please do

Do you exist on this forum solely to take uninspired, unprovoked non-sequitur potshots at people actually making an effort to be useful?
did you actually read what i was replying to or are you just concern trolling
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »

please do

did you actually read what i was replying to or are you just concern trolling

Yes, I can actually read basic sentences, and I know what he said. Granted, yes, Morgan's comment may not have been the most helpful thing in the thread, but this isn't the first time you've done this to him. The last, I seem to recall, was in response to something almost inarguably reasonable.

So, again: do you have anything useful to add to this forum, or do you exist just to crash discussions being held by people whose memberships have a point?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 03:55:22 PM »

please do

Ghost_white lives in New England, so he was actually agreeing with Morgan.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 04:00:26 PM »

It is still not enough to induce me to give the slightest thought to moving there. Tongue
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 04:01:37 PM »

please do

Ghost_white lives in New England, so he was actually agreeing with Morgan.

If that's the case, he certainly didn't do an admirable job of showing it.

At any rate, I'm done going on with and about him. Continue as though this never happened, people. Tongue
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 04:19:40 PM »

The Young Turks made a good video on this.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 04:54:45 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2012, 04:59:17 PM by Guns Don't Kill People, I Do »

Quoted for truth, although I believe that Cascadia, California, and New England deserve to die with the obese woman for being married to her in the first place.

You all deserve to die, no exceptions.

The Lord is vengeful, and so is Mecha.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 06:06:22 PM »

Please take FL with you...
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 06:14:51 PM »

Oh Kansas fools, Poor Kansas fools..
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 06:43:35 PM »

It should be mentioned that tax rates were reduced for all brackets as part of typical Republican tactics.

Brownback's approval ratings were in the dumps before this law was passed (30%), imagine how low they will fall when Laffer is proven wrong for the millionth time. The Republican attempt at justifying this tax cut is hilarious, just admit you want to make the government smaller and be done with it. Don't try to rationalize your asinine behavior by referencing discredited economic theory.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 10:04:20 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2012, 10:06:05 PM by Torie »

It should be mentioned that tax rates were reduced for all brackets as part of typical Republican tactics.

Brownback's approval ratings were in the dumps before this law was passed (30%), imagine how low they will fall when Laffer is proven wrong for the millionth time. The Republican attempt at justifying this tax cut is hilarious, just admit you want to make the government smaller and be done with it. Don't try to rationalize your asinine behavior by referencing discredited economic theory.

The Laffer curve is correct at some point, the issue is just where as rates go up. Having said that, I have told Laffer (a former professor mine) to his face, that the curve in the practical zone was silly and way over hyped. He did not have much to say. He is not an intellectual heavy weight, but rather more of a promoter.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 11:52:25 PM »

The Laffer curve is correct at some point, the issue is just where as rates go up. Having said that, I have told Laffer (a former professor mine) to his face, that the curve in the practical zone was silly and way over hyped. He did not have much to say. He is not an intellectual heavy weight, but rather more of a promoter.

Oh sure, few would disagree with that. It just has little relevance in our low-tax neo-liberal world where top marginal tax brackets rarely exceed 50 to 60%. Did he have anything to say or much opposition to his theories in his classes?

By the way, sorry for that nasty tone of mine in that Quebec thread. That was uncalled for; I understood your own viewpoint isn't ultra-regressive or punitive towards the lower classes for no reason, I just wanted to vent my own frustrations towards the coddled prats in our own government who are entirely unconcerned about the burden of high tuitions on lower income families.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies