FL: Crist(D) leads Scott 48-34 for 2014 election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:38:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  FL: Crist(D) leads Scott 48-34 for 2014 election
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FL: Crist(D) leads Scott 48-34 for 2014 election  (Read 4606 times)
ajc0918
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2012, 05:59:21 PM »

FL Poll: Charlie Crist 48, Rick Scott 34% in 2014 matchup

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2012/05/fl-poll-charlie-crist-48-rick-scott-34-in-2014-matchup.html
From Tallahassee lobbyist Wayne Bertsch, who found a poll showing the current Republican governor could lose to the last one. Intriguing? Sure. Just remember Charlie Crist (who is not yet a Democrat) was heavily favored to win the 2010 Senate race before Marco Rubio chased him out of the Republican Party and then beat him in the general election.

Here's Bertsch:

Supposing for a moment that the election for governor of Florida was held today and the candidates were.... Rick Scott, running as the Republican.... and Charlie Crist, running as the Democrat candidate... which one would you vote for?

Rick Scott 34.1%

Charlie Crist 48.1%

Other 5.0%

Don't Know/Refused 12.8%

To break the numbers down, obviously Republicans stick with Gov. Scott at 60.3% and garnering only 21.6 of the unaffiliated voters. The pop factor is that Gov. Charlie Crist grabs 74.2% of the Democrat vote and 52.2% of the unaffiliated voters.

A few other breakdowns of interest:

African-Americans - 88.1% support Crist

Whites - 43.4% Crist, 39.4% Scott

Hispanic - 37.9% Scott, 35.3 Crist, while 23% stated Do Not Know.

Gender: Crist leads Men 45% to Scott's 39%.  Women 51% support Crist to Scott's 30%.

As for Age breakdowns, Crist led all categories: 18-29: 52% to 27%; 30-44: 44% to 38%; 45-59: 55% to 28%; 60+: 45% to 38%

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2012/05/fl-poll-charlie-crist-48-rick-scott-34-in-2014-matchup.html#storylink=cpy

Crist 2014
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »

Encouraging.  How would Jeb Bush fare in a face-to-face matchup with Rick Scott in the GOP gubernatorial primary?  
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 06:23:04 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2012, 06:30:32 PM by SoEA SJoyceFla »

Encouraging.  How would Jeb Bush fare in a face-to-face matchup with Rick Scott in the GOP gubernatorial primary?  

Well. Very, very well. See, Jeb is actually liked, which Lord Voldemort is not.

Society of the Tarpon Belt must be quite pleased.

I can see Crist easily winning a Democratic primary as well, especially if it's him vs Nan Rich/Alex Sink. Charlie'd run up big margins in Tampa Bay, the African-American communities, the teachers, and the North FL/Panhandle Blue Dogs, while Rich/Sink split South FL and the progressive vote. Crist wins in a walk.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 06:24:59 PM »

How do you know that term? Are you from Pinellas too?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 06:27:18 PM »

Lived in St. Pete all my life. Remember?

Rep. C.W. "Bill" Young: lawmaker; he's been up there for 40 some years, a good chunk of that time (20 years?) on Appropriations (I believe his record is $167 mil to his district in pork in a year).

Senator C.W. "Bill" Nelson: lawmaker; seems to be a pragmatist and a moderate.

Senator Marco Rubio: advertiser, tea party darling, etc, etc, etc.

We live in the same district!
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 06:33:02 PM »

Rep. C.W. "Bill" Young: lawmaker; he's been up there for 40 some years, a good chunk of that time (20 years?) on Appropriations (I believe his record is $167 mil to his district in pork in a year).

Ah right. I for one can't wait for Crist to get back into action.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 06:40:34 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2012, 06:50:09 PM by SoEA SJoyceFla »

A certain Mr. Jones has retired from his Senate spot, and a Mr. Young will soon (in the next 4 years; he's been in the House 40+ years). A certain Rep. Brandes seems to be a rather weak incumbent, and I could see a rematch against a Mr. Rubio. Mr. Scott, of course, seems the most viable option; however, I'd most like to see him against a Mr. Foster.

Basically, Crist has a shot at any office (FL Senate, House, FL House, Senate, Governor, St. Pete Mayor) he chooses.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 06:46:41 PM »

Good. I've been saying for a while that Crist should run as a Democrat and I'm glad that a pollster other than PPP is backing me up.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 11:08:29 PM »

A certain Mr. Jones has retired from his Senate spot, and a Mr. Young will soon (in the next 4 years; he's been in the House 40+ years). A certain Rep. Brandes seems to be a rather weak incumbent, and I could see a rematch against a Mr. Rubio. Mr. Scott, of course, seems the most viable option; however, I'd most like to see him against a Mr. Foster.

Basically, Crist has a shot at any office (FL Senate, House, FL House, Senate, Governor, St. Pete Mayor) he chooses.

The only problem I see with Crist running for house is that the most democratic area of Pinellas County is in Kathy Castor's district (South Pinellas). That being said I still think Crist can win if Young were to retire.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 07:06:16 AM »

The only problem I see with Crist running for house is that the most democratic area of Pinellas County is in Kathy Castor's district (South Pinellas). That being said I still think Crist can win if Young were to retire.

True, but even with redistricting Young's district is only R+1, and given that it's Pinellas (and that Charlie is closer to Jim Matheson that Bernie Sanders), it should be a relatively easy win. Now, if he ran againsy Young, that'd be interesting; 40-year incumbent with big fundraising and loyalty vs former governor with big fundraising and loyalty.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 08:45:03 AM »

I seriously doubt Crist's ego would allow him run for anything short of Governor or Senate.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 09:54:42 AM »

Is there any reason to think Crist is planning a run as a dem or is this just wishful thinking?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 01:17:49 PM »

Is there any reason to think Crist is planning a run as a dem or is this just wishful thinking?

He's been fundraising and campaigning with some Dems (Al Lawson for one).
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 04:23:46 PM »

He donated to Patrick Murphy, and was seen last week at a fundraiser with Dave Aronberg.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 05:08:53 PM »

He donated to Patrick Murphy, and was seen last week at a fundraiser with Dave Aronberg.

Carole Crist is a registered Democrat (Charlie: "She's very bright"), Morgan & Morgan is a big Democratic donator, he's appeared at events with Jackie Pons (Leon County (Tallahassee) School Superintendant) and Ken Welch (Pinellas County Commissioner), he's been writing these op-eds and of course:

David Axelrod: “The president has a very high regard for Gov. Crist. He made a really courageous decision back in 2009 and there's no doubt that he made it because he thought it was what was best for the state of Florida. He understood the politics were difficult and he made it nonetheless. He deserves enormous credit for that and the courage he showed. You know we all talk about that we want public officials who are willing to put the next generation ahead of the next election and he was willing to make a decision like that. So we admire him.”
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 02:09:54 AM »

Right about now, anyone would be better than Scott. Crist, Bush, McCollum, Sink, anyone.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 02:18:44 AM »

Too bad the election isn't for another two and a half years.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 06:25:22 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2012, 06:29:58 AM by Kalery »

It would be actually funny to see someone first elected as a Republican Governor, then switching and being elected to the another term as a Democrat. Like Fob James in reverse.

Too bad the election isn't for another two and a half years.

Indeed. That's what you get for electing a dude for an entire four years.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 12:38:26 PM »

And things continue to get worse for Rick Scott.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 01:04:40 AM »

Larry David said we'll never elect a bald President; Rick Scott certainly affirms that.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 09:15:41 AM »

Its sad. Rick Scott actually does have a good economic performance record and of course he vetoed the proposal from the legislature to double my tuition costs and yet he's losing to an opportunistic slimeball like Charlie Crist. He really needs new PR people or something.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 10:30:43 AM »

Its sad. Rick Scott actually does have a good economic performance record and of course he vetoed the proposal from the legislature to double my tuition costs and yet he's losing to an opportunistic slimeball like Charlie Crist. He really needs new PR people or something.

Rick Scott vetoed the tuition bill while cutting $300 million from the state universities, you have to balance it out somewhere. I supported then ablility for UF and FSU to raise tuition more than 15% a year, we need to fund our universities and if the state is unwilling to do so then higher tuition prices are needed.

And I'm a UF student.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 10:51:04 AM »

Rick Scott vetoed the tuition bill while cutting $300 million from the state universities, you have to balance it out somewhere. I supported then ablility for UF and FSU to raise tuition more than 15% a year, we need to fund our universities and if the state is unwilling to do so then higher tuition prices are needed.

And I'm a UF student.

Oh, I agree that tuition needs to rise. Florida's colleges are some of the cheapest in the nation, and even with tuition rises that's still the case. But rising the costs much higher exclusively for FSU and UF makes it much harder for poorer people to afford sending their kids to the best schools, especially with bright futures cuts. It's not an ideal situation, but austerity never is. And the main alternative to cutting higher education was cutting healthcare. In the end I think the legislature was right to allow tuition raises and the governor right to veto the UF/FSU bigger tuition increases. I'm an FSU student, by the way. 

Oh, and while we're on the subject, what was up with this story?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2012/04/22/university-of-florida-eliminates-computer-science-department-increases-athletic-budgets-hmm/
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 11:54:05 AM »

Without getting too offtrack in this thread, I'm pretty sure UF wanted to merge the computer science department with another engineering department. The merger simply would have eliminated teaching assistant positions, student majors would not have been effected. The funds used to raise athletic budges were allocated only for athletics, so the funds couldn't have been used for academics.

I believe UF decided against merging the programs after there was a lot of uproar. I don't know what the current situation.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies