John Edwards will be.......
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:56:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  John Edwards will be.......
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Convicted of all charges

Convicted of some charges

Acquited

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: John Edwards will be.......  (Read 983 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2012, 12:19:53 PM »

What the hell is taking this jury so long by the way?

Option 2.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 12:21:54 PM »

Given his celebrity status, I'm fearing Option 3.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 12:30:57 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2012, 01:17:09 PM by Torie »

One damaging thing for the cause of putting Edwards where in a more perfect world he certainly deserves to go, is that the federal elections folks wrote some sort of letter, in which they suggested that this sort of thing was not illegal, so apparently the regulators were themselves confused about the law. Ignorance is no excuse, but it might swing a jury. And apparently there is no smoking gun that Edwards knew what was going on, just a circumstantial case. My wild guess at this point is the odds are about 2 out of 3 that Edwards skates.

I could not serve on this jury. I would be just too biased. The man makes my skin crawl. His going to the slammer would suffuse me with joy.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 02:22:59 PM »

I really can't stand all this Edwards hate going around. Elizabeth was no saint and frankly John probably wouldn't have cheated on her if she wasn't such a bitch. Oh wait, she has cancer so she is automatically some kind of "hero".

The only thing I have wrong with it is that is was irresponsible to do that at them same time as running for President.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 02:34:27 PM »

I think it's a shame the way the media has covered every blow by blow of this case. The public policy questions raised don't justify the cost to the Edwards family and his associates of having it all dragged out in public.

I'm somewhere in the middle on the whole Edwards fiasco. The main thing he did was was to do what he did, while running for President. And the main thing that makes it egregious is what happened to Bill Clinton, another charismatic southern Democrat. Clinton's infidelities caused Al Gore to lose the 2000 election, because otherwise, Gore would have been able to campaign with Clinton on his popularity, and he wouldn't have had to choose Joe Lieberman as his VP to prove his credibility. Having seen the high profile damage to the Democratic cause brought on by Clinton's infidelities, John Edwards should have known better.

However, at this point I wish the best for Edwards and his family, since it doesn't look like he's going to be reentering politics any time soon. I greatly sympathize with what the Edwards family has gone through.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 02:45:21 PM »

I really can't stand all this Edwards hate going around. Elizabeth was no saint and frankly John probably wouldn't have cheated on her if she wasn't such a bitch. Oh wait, she has cancer so she is automatically some kind of "hero".

The only thing I have wrong with it is that is was irresponsible to do that at them same time as running for President.

My dislike for Edwards is not because he committed an adultery. For me, personal life is not a political issue.

The problem is that the dude obviously broke law, while covering an affair, was a total hipocrite in public (back in 2004 I already considered him a full of crap, time only proved me right) and ordered his aide to claim the parenthood, which was extremely dickish thing to do.

Looks like he always was just a spineless ambulance chaser.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 03:30:57 PM »

My dislike for Edwards is not because he committed an adultery. For me, personal life is not a political issue.

The problem is that the dude obviously broke law, while covering an affair, was a total hipocrite in public (back in 2004 I already considered him a full of crap, time only proved me right) and ordered his aide to claim the parenthood, which was extremely dickish thing to do.

Looks like he always was just a spineless ambulance chaser.

The dude also just about all by himself made C section births de rigueur in the US. He got juries in his spinal bifida baby cases to ignore that little element of causation. Juries generally suck. The Brits were right to get rid of them (except in big penalty criminal cases).
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 03:36:13 PM »

Yeah, it's stuff like that that makes me happy Germany doesn't do juries either. I can see their point in criminal cases, but in anything else? Crazy.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 09:42:30 PM »

Acquitted on all
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece